• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished Air TV

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
It was a certainly a good anime, but I don't see what was all the hype about. I tend to like open loop endings, but some of the open loops were kinda opened at the end. I did find alot of the anime enjoyable, but fail to see why so many people rate this one so high.

Maybe I need to watch the summer specials and movie as well?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
The summer specials are mostly comedic moments that were in the PC game, but not in the original anime series during the Kanna arc. The movie is an alternate-retelling of the entire series (or rather the whole PC game) which is focused more on straight up romance. The movie is far more linear and easy to get into, and I've seen people who preferred this than the TV series.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
I hope they have a 2nd season of Air TV, I enjoyed the series but the end kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is what I know about Air and i'm not 100% sure about some of it:

1. Air is based on Sim-Date-like game much like To Heart and Kanon.
2. Air is actually 1 of 3 arcs part of the game.
3. Air if I remember correctly was the last of the 3 arcs.

So with that in mind I think you'd have to expect prequels rather than sequels.

Forgive me if I've given some wrong information, like I said i'm not 100% sure about this.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
You're mistaken but still forgiven. Wink

AIR the TV contains the same three arcs as the game (Dream, Summer, Air). The OAV showed some additional material from the game's Summer arc. There's isn't really anything left to use for a second season, so they would have to come up with new material.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
You're mistaken but still forgiven. Wink

AIR the TV contains the same three arcs as the game (Dream, Summer, Air). The OAV showed some additional material from the game's Summer arc. There's isn't really anything left to use for a second season, so they would have to come up with new material.

Ok at least I got some of my info right. I was just remembering some stuff from a previous Air thread. If i'm not mistaken I think you posted in it as well and I might've gotten information from you and many others.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Air probably would've been better had they dragged it out a bit longer. It seemed like they were in a rush to finish things up and became sloppy. Personally, I found the first 5 episodes to be really good, then I was like what just happened....
deafcon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
I just finished Air the other day. I'd say it was pretty mediocre over all. I prefer a somewhat more straightforward apporach. There were too many thing that they didn't tell you why they we're happening. They also switched gears too abruptly. It went from the story revolving around Yukito to it revolving around Misuzu. The episodes that focused more on Misuzu just didn't stack up to the earlier episodes.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:38 am Reply with quote
deafcon wrote:
I just finished Air the other day. I'd say it was pretty mediocre over all. I prefer a somewhat more straightforward apporach. There were too many thing that they didn't tell you why they we're happening. They also switched gears too abruptly. It went from the story revolving around Yukito to it revolving around Misuzu. The episodes that focused more on Misuzu just didn't stack up to the earlier episodes.

I agree with you, the start of the Air Arc was what made me a sad monkey.
sindwendler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
deafcon wrote:

Uhuh, i agree with the part that is moved to fast, but I really liked it. I think the ending was just great, with its bittersweetness (then again, I must've been the only person in my household that didn't get the ending for the longest.) But, yeah, the ending was what really gave it that little umph.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
with all the shifting and changing, i had serious troubles enjoying the ending. i think the series would've been much more effective had it followed the first few episodes. but then again, that would be against the basis of the series.
noirfan3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
i loved the series i think it is great....it did not get totally confusing to me some parts it did but not so much...i cried at the end Anime cry
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this one, too, and it was the saddest anime I have ever seen, and probably one of the best. I don't know if many teenage boys will get much out of it, but most girls probably will, along with some men old enough to have a daughter.
The first episode seemed inane to me, and I had to go back to the series page here and confirm the incredible ratings that it had earned before giving it another chance. I am very glad that I had faith in the voters here.
It did get confusing at times, but the recap ep at the end helped with that. (The writers must have also realized that the show could be hard to follow, for them to make such an ep.)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I should start by saying that I'm something of a fanboy for these sad/dramatic/game-based series like Air and "Rumbling Hearts" Wink, so keep that in mind and apply the necessary grain of NaCl.

As I see it, three main things drive the popularity of Air:

1) Animation/artwork--some opinions may vary, but the animation is beautiful, fluid and detailed, at a level considerably above the average stillframe and "mouth-only" animation-filled series. Some may dislike the character designs, but at least they're not the same designs you see in 80% of anime series.

2) Storyline--sure, it's weird, it jumps around, it's complex, it doesn't make sense, but for me, it was a story the likes of which I had never seen in anime or anywhere else. You've got to admit, with many series, it's possible to say, "Gee, this series is just like ***** and ______ and ~~~~~~" and name a few similar stories, but that's not really the case with Air. True, there some similarities with Kanon in terms of art styles and types of stories, but I give Air points for pushing the boundaries of time and plot and not being afraid to challenge viewers. There's nothing wrong with viewers who prefer straightforward storylines, but those kinds of viewers probably won't get as much enjoyment out of Air. I didn't really mind that the focus shifted from character to character spoiler[to the point where Yukito became a crow and faded from the main plot,] since most stories have one protagonist that they stick to, and Air was a change of pace.

3) Emotional appeal--this is where Air sinks or swims, and what makes it into such a love-hate series. Okay, some will say that Air appeals to "base" human emotions. It's also been said that these kinds of anime depend on the viewers' attachments to / affections for the female characters for their success. Call it moé or whatever you want, but it's certainly not the same "affection" that guys feel for the lovely ladies of Girls Bravo, for example. For me, Air had enough sympathy/endearment power packed into its twelve episodes for me to be emotionally invested in certain characters, and the payoff was there at the end. If you don't care about or dislike certain characters, then certain key scenes won't have the impact necessary to create the "Wow, I really like this show!" impression.

Also, Air is certainly going to appeal more to people who like sad anime spoiler[and who like to take "sentimental journeys," if you know what I mean. When it comes to Misuzu, I think there are three reactions: A) people who are indifferent to her or hate her, and thus either welcome her death or don't care about it (B) people who like her, but want her to live so much that they hate Air for killing her (C) people who like her and are swept away by the tragedy and pathos of the situation, and thus adore the series.]

^ Regarding some of the material in the spoiler, I think many hardcore anime fans / fansub downloaders (or at least the ones who seek out series beyond the mainstream like Naruto, Bleach, FMP, Mai Hime, Mai Otome) are "that sort" of fan, thus Air's popularity among the rabid fans and lack of marketability to the casual anime buyer / the masses.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I should start by saying that I'm something of a fanboy for these sad/dramatic/game-based series like Air and "Rumbling Hearts" Wink, so keep that in mind and apply the necessary grain of NaCl.

As I see it, three main things drive the popularity of Air:

1) Animation/artwork--some opinions may vary, but the animation is beautiful, fluid and detailed, at a level considerably above the average stillframe and "mouth-only" animation-filled series. Some may dislike the character designs, but at least they're not the same designs you see in 80% of anime series.

2) Storyline--sure, it's weird, it jumps around, it's complex, it doesn't make sense, but for me, it was a story the likes of which I had never seen in anime or anywhere else. You've got to admit, with many series, it's possible to say, "Gee, this series is just like ***** and ______ and ~~~~~~" and name a few similar stories, but that's not really the case with Air. True, there some similarities with Kanon in terms of art styles and types of stories, but I give Air points for pushing the boundaries of time and plot and not being afraid to challenge viewers. There's nothing wrong with viewers who prefer straightforward storylines, but those kinds of viewers probably won't get as much enjoyment out of Air. I didn't really mind that the focus shifted from character to character spoiler[to the point where Yukito became a crow and faded from the main plot,] since most stories have one protagonist that they stick to, and Air was a change of pace.

3) Emotional appeal--this is where Air sinks or swims, and what makes it into such a love-hate series. Okay, some will say that Air appeals to "base" human emotions. It's also been said that these kinds of anime depend on the viewers' attachments to / affections for the female characters for their success. Call it moé or whatever you want, but it's certainly not the same "affection" that guys feel for the lovely ladies of Girls Bravo, for example. For me, Air had enough sympathy/endearment power packed into its twelve episodes for me to be emotionally invested in certain characters, and the payoff was there at the end. If you don't care about or dislike certain characters, then certain key scenes won't have the impact necessary to create the "Wow, I really like this show!" impression.

Also, Air is certainly going to appeal more to people who like sad anime spoiler[and who like to take "sentimental journeys," if you know what I mean. When it comes to Misuzu, I think there are three reactions: A) people who are indifferent to her or hate her, and thus either welcome her death or don't care about it (B) people who like her, but want her to live so much that they hate Air for killing her (C) people who like her and are swept away by the tragedy and pathos of the situation, and thus adore the series.]

^ Regarding some of the material in the spoiler, I think many hardcore anime fans / fansub downloaders (or at least the ones who seek out series beyond the mainstream like Naruto, Bleach, FMP, Mai Hime, Mai Otome) are "that sort" of fan, thus Air's popularity among the rabid fans and lack of marketability to the casual anime buyer / the masses.

1) Animation is indeed beautiful, and I have no complaints, but I'm one of the few people who don't look to much at animation so, unless they were drawing stick figures, I don't particularly mind how the animation is, eye candy is kinda like a bonus for me when rating a Anime.

2) It's not that the story didn't make sense(nor did it jump around that much IMO.). Shifting the focus is not a problem at all, but as I understand it the story is base on Misuzu and Yukito, while all the other "minor" characters had their story resolved, Yukito and Misuzu are left unconcluded. The story not only have many loose ends but created alot of it towards the end of the series, which is my major complaint.

3) I agree

I do like sad anime, but not just because it's "sad", it has to be power driven, which Air had but during the Air Arc spoiler[Which I think, where half of the power came from, ended IMO weak, not because I didn't feel sad with Misuzu death, but because nothing really got resolved for it other than the bond between her mother and her's gotten stronger.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1