• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sexy Ai Land

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Oh My Goddess is from Dark Horse.

Also, I wanted to politely add, in my personal estimation, the most agreeable and enjoyable version of Kamikaze Girls is the live-action movie, which I found most entertaining.

Good day to you, sirs!
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
It seems Princess Ai doesnt have an overall grade.
Also, I dont think it belongs under 'world manga' as it was originally published in japan and the artist is japanese.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
It seems Princess Ai doesnt have an overall grade.
Also, I don't think it belongs under 'world manga' as it was originally published in japan and the artist is japanese.

The "of the month" segments do not have grades. They are general recommendations or notable titles. That's it.

Princess Ai was written by an American, concieved by an American and published by an American company. It's as 'Japanese' as Transformers or GI Joe.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I wanted to politely add, in my personal estimation, the most agreeable and enjoyable version of Kamikaze Girls is the live-action movie, which I found most entertaining.

Good day to you, sirs

Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Good day to you, sirs

I'm just messing around. Seriously though, don't present your personal opinion as though it's a 'correction', like the guy should amend his column to "fix" his "wrong" opinion.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

For the record, never, ever do this again. The only thing worse than a one-word reply is a no-word reply, and it's especially not appreciated to see forum veterans openly breaking such basic rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
I know the plot is american, and its based on a well known american persona (Princess Ai) but I feel that world manga should only *really* apply to a manga that was not originally published in japan.

(I will also randomly add that the tokyopop covers for Princess Ai are rather hideous, particularly compared to the pretty manga artwork on the japanese release. I cant see any reason behind this, it probably would have sold better with a nicer image rather than a black and white one they coloured themselves, but that's just me)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
GATSU wrote:

For the record, never, ever do this again. The only thing worse than a one-word reply is a no-word reply, and it's especially not appreciated to see forum veterans openly breaking such basic rules.

Even worse, he is quoting his own post.

At first I thought Zac had edited his post (like removing the content of the post and replaycing it with ". . . " thus the "I'm just messing around"), but it doesn't look that way.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
Once again, an exellent column. Interesting to see that someone isn't insane about Loveless, which seems to have built-up an invincible army of fangirls. Anyways, RTO is quickly becoming one of my favorite comic columns on the net, and probobly the best manga one there is.
redcomet15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:23 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Even worse, he is quoting his own post.

At first I thought Zac had edited his post (like removing the content of the post and replaycing it with ". . . " thus the "I'm just messing around"), but it doesn't look that way.

Actually, what I think what happened was, Gatsu wrote something like, "All versions of Kamikaze Girls suck except for the live-action movie." Zac didn't take too well to this, so he rewrote Gatsu's response as, "Also, I wanted to politely add, in my personal estimation, the most agreeable and enjoyable version of Kamikaze Girls is the live-action movie, which I found most entertaining." Gatsu, who I assume wouldn't write in such a manner, was a bit miffed at what Zac had done.

That all said, I personally feel Gatsu wasn't out of line responding to "his" own post with "...". I mean, I'd be annoyed too if someone were to rewrite my words. Besides, if Gatsu was in the wrong, wouldn't Zac have reprimanded him first?

As for the actual column... I wouldn't necessarily say the omission of the Paper Sisters is a con. I mean, when I want Read or Die, I want Yomiko. But that's just me. And that's why I'll probably buy this graphic novel. Another good set of reviews, Carlos.
light_hikari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Taka fans represnt!

So Princess Ai isn't that bad? I'd been meaning to look into it. And it's not long. PRO for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The "of the month" segments do not have grades. They are general recommendations or notable titles. That's it.

Princess Ai...

So, that "World Manga of the Month" bit was a RECOMMENDATION?!? Ignoring that the review does NOT read as something I would want to read (and I mean, the con "Worst of all, Ai is one big steaming pile of Mary Sue." rather than the description of the story, which I admit I ALSO find unappealing). If so, that's the most back-handed "recommendation" I have ever read and I really want to know, for the love of all that's holy WHY are you recommending this book?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Zac wrote:

Princess Ai...

So, that "World Manga of the Month" bit was a RECOMMENDATION?!? Ignoring that the review does NOT read as something I would want to read (and I mean, the con "Worst of all, Ai is one big steaming pile of Mary Sue." rather than the description of the story, which I admit I ALSO find unappealing). If so, that's the most back-handed "recommendation" I have ever read and I really want to know, for the love of all that's holy WHY are you recommending this book?

You missed the part of the sentence where it says "...or notable titles." In this case it would be notable for being particularly bad.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
redcomet15 wrote:

That all said, I personally feel Gatsu wasn't out of line responding to "his" own post with "...". I mean, I'd be annoyed too if someone were to rewrite my words. Besides, if Gatsu was in the wrong, wouldn't Zac have reprimanded him first?

Gatsu and I have been arguing on these forums for like 8 years. He knows I'm just messing with him. If it was some user I didn't know, I wouldn't do that; I'd just reprimand him as usual. But hey, it's Gatsu, he and I have been back-and-forth on these forums, I know he has a sense of humor. That's all there is to it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

You missed the part of the sentence where it says "...or notable titles." In this case it would be notable for being particularly bad.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the song lyrics in the back by "DJ Milky". They're really laughably terrible; they sound like they were written by some talentless 15-year old on Livejournal. Really hilariously bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3