• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Italian Police Seize 400 Pirated Anime Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shintot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
"The pirated copies were packaged in the same way as regular products, and between about 20,000 and 30,000 copies were sold each month for about 25 euros (roughly 3,500 yen) each"

Hmmm, darn better than drug dealing. If someone is willing to pay $35USD for a pirated DVD in the US, I know people who'd make a fortune...
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
400 dvds? that's a pretty small raid.
shintot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
400 dvds? that's a pretty small raid.

"Titles sold at this business and other businesses being investigated reportedly accounted for over 90 percent of all pirated copies on the Italian market, as well as 60 percent of all titles that include genuine products.

Estimated earnings from the illegal sales were as much as 900,000 euros (about 130 million yen) a year."

I think it's safe to say there were quite a bit more than 400 DVD's, there were 400 titles, who knows how many of each.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
shintot wrote:
I think it's safe to say there were quite a bit more than 400 DVD's, there were 400 titles, who knows how many of each.

Yeah, stupid headline--sorry.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
**gives awed whistle**

That's a lot of titles and money. No wonder they're willing to risk it. Sort of dumb if you ask me. At least having THAT many titles in public view. Of course, money, money and MORE MONEY!

Of course, the only thing dumber would be going to an Anime Con with unlicensed or pirated merchandise. If I remember correctly that is what happened at an Anime Expo a few years ago. Some Bandai (again, if I remember correctly) employees were walking around and noticed illegal items. Those vendors were "asked" to leave! And to never return again, thank you very much! Evil or Very Mad
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
shintot wrote:
"The pirated copies were packaged in the same way as regular products, and between about 20,000 and 30,000 copies were sold each month for about 25 euros (roughly 3,500 yen) each"

Hmmm, darn better than drug dealing. If someone is willing to pay $35USD for a pirated DVD in the US, I know people who'd make a fortune...

They were probably full series rather than individual volumes.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
A lot of merhandise. Bootlegs can go for as low as five bucks, right? 35 dollars? I haven't heard of that kind of price.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Bravo!

Now if only they would raid ebay next...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Defiant7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Bravo!

Now if only they would raid ebay next...

I agree. Its too easy for people to sell bootlegs, I used to rent Anime DVDs from a video store in Calgary. About a year ago I saw them start to rent a few Bootlegs which I was not happy about. I was back in there a few months ago and their entire new release wall for anime was bootlegs. In only a few months they went from renting licensed versions to bootlegs, (and for full rental price at that) No way I am going to rent a bootleg or buy for that matter.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
A lot of merhandise. Bootlegs can go for as low as five bucks, right? 35 dollars? I haven't heard of that kind of price.

you would be suprised theres a store here alot of the local anime fans boycott out of principal becouse they sell "imported cd's" aka Son May and Ever anime Bootlegs for like 20-40 a pop. sad thing alot of people get duped and think "no way if there illegal theres no way these would on the shelves"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
Course I think if you get them in Asia then they'll be cheap.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
Go Go Italia!! Quite an impressive raid. I agree about Ebay.. and other sell-it-yourself outlets, like Amazon as well. It's easy for people who don't know what they're doing to buy bootlegs, thinking it's legit. I know my parents made that mistake for me before one Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kashim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Hi, i'm a new user and i'm from Italy (sorry for my bad bad english). The Italian police very probably seized chinese dvd anime bootleg, because in Roma and Bologna there are stores that are specialized on selling those type of bootleg imported in Italy by a society named "Daito Anime".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Egrimm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You'll be surprised at what bootlegs sell for at many shops here in europe. Several otherwise reputable (and big name) stores in Germany and France sell Son May and :) cds for 15-20€. The stupid thing is that it has gone on for years and they've been told many times but their distributors say they're legal so the shops believe them -.- People are used to paying these levels for cds and dvds and they expect shops to sell legal stuff (as bootlegs are otherwise non-existant here) so they gladly buy those anime cds and dvds :s
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah Italy!

Now if only the FBI would learn from the Italian police and get the US stores that are doing this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4