• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Hot Chilli Peppers Song For Death Note

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean that the movie will be released in America?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So does this mean that the movie will be released in America?

I highly doubt it.

Now that video was awesome for 3 reasons.

1: RHCP are frikkin awesome.

2: It had wicked references from a ton of other great bands from the Beatles, Elvis, Motley Crue, Nirvana, The Misfits([expletive] Right!), and much more.

3: That song was really good. I was a bit put off from their By The Way album (just a bit, it was still great but not as great as Californication) but hopefully, this is a sign that this new album will be really good.

I just want to know what's the deal with all of the bands wearing black and red lately? My Chemical Romance, A.F.I, Green Day, and now RHCP. Granted, they actually have red in their name but it just seems like the current trend.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wonder how they picked that to be in Deathnote? Shocked Of all things. But that was a pretty rad video I have to agree.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
fighter:
Quote:
Wow, I wonder how they picked that to be in Deathnote?

Hopefully legally. My guess is it's a cover. But anyway, the obvious musical choice for Death Note should have been Marilyn Manson.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Wow, I wonder how they picked that to be in Deathnote? Shocked Of all things. But that was a pretty rad video I have to agree.

According to this anecdotal evidence (scroll down), the producer of the movie sent some copies of the manga to RHCP and they really liked it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it was translated when they saw it Wink
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I wonder if it was translated when they saw it Wink

Well, the first four volumes of the manga are already out in English, so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to me.

Man, this movie just sounds more and more kick-ass every time I hear about it Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't quite catch when the movie was coming out, may I ask when?
Ignition

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

According to this anecdotal evidence (scroll down), the producer of the movie sent some copies of the manga to RHCP and they really liked it.

Wow, the guy who wrote that is slightly insane.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well if it does get brought to the US either through Viz some how or Warner Bros. want to give it a shot.. I think now with RHCP on the Track it might slip and slide on deciding who will bring the movies over
(PS : The Peppers is Teh Bomb! ,and I know I'm going to try and find the Film some where, BIG Death NoTe fanboy!)
fortexd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter:
Quote:
Wow, I wonder how they picked that to be in Deathnote?

Hopefully legally. My guess is it's a cover. But anyway, the obvious musical choice for Death Note should have been Marilyn Manson.

...Yes! "Personal Jesus" cover all the way...
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, not a big RHCP fan. Pretty good though. Yet I'm not sure why that song fits Deathnote at all. Actually, if anything I'm thinking their song Otherside. Then again it sounds like it's more that it's their big new single, which kind of stinks of commercial synergy rather than something artistic from the musicians or movie makers.

Also, I don't know why anyone would suggest Marlyn Manson. He's one of hundreds of gothic bands and is highly overated by both his fans and critics. I like him, but he's not the be all and end all of goth music. Though Personal Jesus is kinda fitting for Misa and Light, what's wrong with the orginal version. Hell, there's a lot of goth music out there in the US and Japan that could be put in Deathnote.

As for bands wearing red and black? It's just an awesome color cominbation. I know I've liked it before I ever even heard of My Chemical Romance. Also.. when the hell did Green Day start dressing somewhat goth? Nothing wrong with it, I like it in fact, it just surprised me.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how this song would fit with Death Note but still kinda cool to see them in a jp movie. I really hope DN does well in Japan because it would be awesome if it gets brought here. There are too many shitty movies out nowadays and this would be refreshing IMHO.

Hmm wonder if the producer sent them the english ver or not?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Well Japanese movies always have "interesting" theme songs to them. Think of Battle Royale and the theme song was Dragon Ash's 静かなる日々を (Quiet Daily Stars). It had a slow beat to it plus an acoustic guitar, and the movie was about 15 year olds killing each other Rolling Eyes
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well, not a big RHCP fan. Pretty good though. Yet I'm not sure why that song fits Deathnote at all. Actually, if anything I'm thinking their song Otherside.

I am a fan of RHCP and the song is pretty good. However, I will agree it seems to be an odd choice. "Otherside" is an interesting choice. My personal favorite is "Breaking the Girl." I just think it is awesome in general, maybe it was the tone of the song. It’s got this groovy feel that seems to fit the tone of Death Note. (Ah, did I just date myself with this conjecture, does anyone say groovy anymore?)

On a side note (or OT), speaking of American songs used as anime theme songs, what about Speed Grapher? Didn't they use Duran Duran's song "Girls on Film" as the OP? I wonder if Funmation is going/able to keep it? (You’ll pardon me please, if this has already been discussed, I don't know anything about licensing)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2