• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reports: Sony Develops Virtual Reality Headset for PS4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Who loves microwaved brains??? I do! I do!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Just no VRMMORP... ah, screw it! Trilaan beat me to the joke.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
In a way, I can see this as being an inevitable step in the evolution of video gaming. There is only so much movement you can get from a game controller.

On the other hand, virtual reality was a failed gimmick back in the 90's. Whether it will work this time around is anyone's guess.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
So, the technology to make convincing VR that's still affordable to the common video game consumer, without any potential health hazards, is here?

I call "shenanigans".

If the house of Mario is deciding that this whole "3D'" thing was a wash, what makes Sony think that they can bring VR to the world? What's that going to accomplish when we have a sea of generic open-world simulators and no world worth exploring?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yep I read about it on Playstation Lifestyle. I'm a bit skeptic if this would sell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
If the house of Mario is deciding that this whole "3D'" thing was a wash, what makes Sony think that they can bring VR to the world? What's that going to accomplish when we have a sea of generic open-world simulators and no world worth exploring?

If Nintendo gave up on 3D then they'd have stopped producing games for the 3DS a long time ago. If you're refering to the 2DS that's something they're making for little kids who can't use the 3D fuction of the 3DS and break things easily. If you're talking about the VirtualBoy then that wasn't so much VR as it was giant 3D glasses on a red GameBoy screen. The technology wasn't there at the time to make real VR for consumers. Real VR is about immersion and I'm positive Nintendo is still playing around with it in R&D.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Why stop at the head? There's already an affordable Virtual Reality Threadmill:

• The Omni takes virtual reality to the next level-- allowing anyone to stand up and traverse virtual worlds with the natural use of their own feet. The Omni is the first virtual reality interface for moving freely and naturally in your favorite game. Moving naturally in virtual reality creates an unprecedented sense of immersion that cannot be experienced sitting down. That's why we developed the Omni.

The Omni is a fully integrated VR interface that comes with sophisticated tracking hardware and software and is ready to play, out of the box, with any game or app that uses keyboard input.

Currently, $430 will get you the whole Omni system including a pair of the special shoes in your size. And, since the Omni has already surpassed it's $150,000 Kickstarter funding goal by over 4X in just three days, production is definitely a go.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1