• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams MÄR Anime to Subscribers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
so is the 2nd half not licensed?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'll give Viz Media this, at least they adapting to the times and modernizing themselves.

It's becoming more and more apparent Netflix continues to get better and better.

But although the anime was okay, I really enjoyed the manga. It's a fantasy manga, but the story isn't a typical fantasy manga. The artwork was exceptional, the plot really kept my attention and the characters actually were much deeper than I initially thought they would be. It's a great series, but I do wish there was more.
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
This article is misleading. ANN should clearly explain that VIZ only has half of the MAR TV series. The other half (about 52 episodes) was never dubbed or subbed in English (well, at least not in a legal manner). IMHO I wouldn't want to start paying for a series when it's only half available.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
IMHO I wouldn't want to start paying for a series when it's only half available.

This presumes one would be paying for a Netflix account to view MAR alone.

Personally, I take this as very good news as I now can view the episodes without ads (as would be the case with Hulu or Viz's own website, which simply uses the Hulu embed), and I can watch using my Roku instead of my computer. Likewise, others can now view it on a variety of other non-computer devices.

Before anyone brings up Hulu Plus for viewing on other devices, I should point out that:
{1} MAR isn't available on Hulu Plus.
{2} Hulu Plus costs the same as a Netflix streaming-only account (4 cents more, if you want to be technical).
{3} Most Hulu Plus programming still has ads.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
so is the 2nd half not licensed?

From the look of things, I'd guess so, even though that's as far as they had dubbed the series.

Well, we'll find out soon enough in a couple of weeks when MAR on Hulu hits 52 streamed episodes, and if it will go past that or not will tell how much of the anime VIZ Media has licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1