• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi: The Next Chapter (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote

Mushishi: The Next Chapter (TV)

Thread for the first series, if anyone is interested.

Genres: adventure, drama, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Themes: folklore , mythology , nature , spirits

Plot Summary: Mushi; the life-blood of nature. They exist everywhere in various forms: micro-organisms, fungi, bodies of water. Sometimes, they're even mistaken to be plants, animals, or spirits. But regardless of their appearance, they exist, nonetheless, living the only way they know how. At times, their actions can cause strange or unexplainable phenomena. Enter Ginko, the Mushishi (mushi master), as he continues encountering, studying, and dealing with the mysterious mushi along his journey into the unknown.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

Second Season of Mushishi

Episode 1:

That was lovely. I'm so glad the show is back in full force as Ginko once again gets himself involved with Mushi and a man that seeks the truth. The ED is so smooth to the years tbh and the atmosphere remains the same from what I remember from the special and season 1.

EPISODE INDEX

(Click on the link to go directly to the post for Tony K.'s review)

Episode 01: Banquet at the Forest's Edge
Episode 02: The Warbling Sea Shell
Episode 03: Beneath the Snow
Episode 04: The Hand That Caresses The Night
Episode 05: Mirror Lake
Episode 06: Floral Delusion
Episode 07: Cloudless Rain
Episode 08: Wind Raiser
Episode 09: Valley of the Welling Tides
Episode 10
Episode 11-12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22

[EDIT: With great powers and content comes a great responsibility to spread the love of Mushishi with lots of huge-ass analytical posts. Thank you for creating this thread, but I'm taking over, now Twisted Evil. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilmCollectsDust

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
I liked it a lot too. I'm so glad we get to see more stuff from the manga. Same relaxing tone as always. I also thought the opening song was nice.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
oh man, its like it never went away. I always fear that when I've liked something and its been away for a while it will come back and be changed but this has the same vibe as the first series from that first episode
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing with Mushishi is that its formula is perfect for a very unique kind of storytelling. It's mysterious, mystical, has elements of drama and/or suspense, has an aura of supernatural wonder and amazement, but all at the same time possessing a sense of moral relatability that pretty much anybody can empathize for. You sit there and watch an episode, see the stories unfold, and just kinda' absorb it as a "natural occurrence," of sorts.

I haven't seen this new series, yet. But I've been wanting to finish my thread for the first series for a while, now. Maybe it's time I go back and finish it...

EDIT:

I took the liberty of updating the Encyc. entry with genres, themes, and a plot summary, then copied and pasted them to the opening post.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Aside from all the wonderful things inherent in Mushi-Shi overall, I think what I found so refreshing in that episode was the moment when Ginko just took the time to listen to the guy's story. So often in anime - or any drama, for that matter, characters in distress get steam-rollered by events or the impatience or obtuseness of other characters when everything could be cleared up so easily if they were just given a chance to explain! And although Ginko is a veteran listener, even he was almost ready to take him back there for a second. So yeah, that scene felt really good to me. Very Happy
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it, and I probably won't for some time. The broadband connection in the dump in which I currently reside is broadband in name only.

However, I do fervently hope - and beseech the gods for their blessing - that this series will ultimately get a North American home video release. DVD or BD, I don't care. This is one of my favorite shows and season two would look very good on my shelf next to season one. Yes it would.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Shi is weaving its magic over me once again.

The second episode is classic Mushi-Shi. It's languid, heartfelt, gentle and ineffable. Like the pure, chiming notes of the soundtrack it doesn't say much but what it does, it does with utter conviction.

Everything is so simple: from the sighing of the water along the sea shore to the design of the characters to the story itself. And yet... and yet it had me in tears in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
This show is so brilliant.In a typical Mushishi fashion,the creator took a seemingly simple story and tied numerous themes to it.They are tied in a logical and precise manner,so the story still maintains it's simplicity.
The main theme was the necessity of living in a society.The character in our story wants to protect his own in this case his family.He think that the best way to achieve that is through seclusion.But at the end he realizes that humans can only function if they are a part of society.There were also ideas about the harshness of nature,forgiveness and the acceptance of death.Moore on to the nature part.Though Mushishi often has ecological themes,the nature is never seen as the wholly good entity that is being destroyed by evil and selfish humans(a la Terrence Malick). No,nature is neither good or bad,it is neutral,irrational and uncontrollable.Like in this episode,people died and had to risk their lives because of the cruelness of nature but at the end spoiler[the nature paradoxically gave them pearls that saved them.]
Also is it me or is every episode of Mushishi ending with some gorgeous shot?I mean the first season had a lot of those,but not in every episode.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
I'm one of those dirty peasants who don't pay for crunchyroll, but I don't mind being a week behind either. I liked the new OP song. And it's more classic mushishi! I feel like most comments will be "it's more of the same, and that is awesome" I am curious if that stuff will make an appearance later in the show though. I should try drinking sake in other news.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
More of the same is good enough for me.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
I am very happy and grateful to have these little, yet so incredibly powerful stories back in my life. The second episode especially felt like we never left Ginko and his intriguing, frightening, poetic, and enchanting world. More of the same is a very good thing.

edit:

Just watched ep. 3, the best of the new episodes for me so far. A poetic, and, in retrospect, powerfully moving intro followed by a touching story full of characters acting so organically around one another that they, as they always do with Mushi-shi, felt like complex, real, and breathing characters I can care about more than other characters I get to know for much longer than 20 something minutes.

The little girl whose innocence is very much able to grasp, if not understand the sadness of the snow's inability to decide where it's going to fall, spoiler[the heart of her brother turned cold by grief, protected from death by snow falling under water and brought back to life by the sound of his friend's warm heartbeat, the snowflake turning into a final tear on his once again warm cheek] - hauntingly beautiful.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: would anybody be opposed to me hijacking this thread with my Mod powers and doing what I did with the first series?

Obviously, I can't do pics of the physical media since it's not out yet, and I doubt I'll be able to buy it ('cause it's licensed by Aniplex, which means it'll be way out of my budget). But I can at least do the whole master index (for my own posts, anyway), plot summary, comments, and screencaps thing to create some uber intellectual discussion material, right?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex? Guess that means no continuation of the dub, huh. Oh well.

I'd love it if you used your magic powers on this series! I wish you'd used them to finish the first season past 13, but what you can, when you can is my motto. Smile I look forward to your (and everyone's) analyses of the new episodes, since everyone always sees what I don't.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
My thread for the first series is currently being continued. I decided to start updating it again after season 2 debuted. If you read the latest post, it essentially states that my updates will be a once-a-week entry on Fridays. That way, it gives everybody plenty of time to read it thoroughly and let it all sink in through the weekend.

Hmm, now that I think about it. If I do both series, I should probably space each one out. Fridays for season 1, and maybe Mondays for season 2? One for a weekend read and Two for a weekly? Yeah, that sounds good. Mushishi all week long Anime catgrin!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The new season made me try to recommend this to a friend, which in turn made me pull out my disks to watch again to remember what they would be watching. Smile In doing so, I've noticed that so far this season seems to be echoing the first season.

The series began with The Green Seat, in which the Mushi Banquet and kouki figured heavily, while this season kicked off with a sort of Mushi-shi banquet centered around kouki. S1 E2 was Eyelid's Light (which I hadn't remembered coming so early in the series), a story about a child, who had effectively lost her sight, separated from her family and community, while S2 E2 was also about a child, who had effectively lost her voice, separated from her community. S1 E3 was The Tender Horns, which like S2 E3, is about snow country and the people and mushi who live there. Further details reveal additional parallels in all of the above, but I won't dig that deep for now.

Despite that, it doesn't feel like they've "run out of ideas" or anything like that, but rather that it might be a deliberate revisiting of previous themes. I mean, we don't think nature has run out of ideas because it keeps making Spring. Smile I just wonder if they will continue like that for the rest of the series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3