• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hello? Dark Horse/Studio Proteus? The world is calling...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I see that CPM has finally decided to go with the flow, shrinking their manga to the same size as ComicsOne, Tokyopop, and Viz and setting the price per volume at $9.99. Since they've pretty much abandoned individual comic issues, that means all the major manga distributors are using the same distribution scheme.

Except one. C'mon, Studio Proteus. Get with the program already!

This wouldn't piss me off as much if SP wasn't one of the pioneers! They were selling manga to Americans back when no one knew what the stuff was. Now the world has passed them by and they stubbornly refuse to notice.

I miss Oh My Goddess!, Blade of the Immortal, and all the other great SP titles, but I cannot and WILL NOT buy any more damned comics. They clutter up my apartment, they're a pain in the ass to store, it's next to impossible to carry them around without damaging them, they provide about ten minutes of reading pleasure which is expected to satisfy you for a month -- I'm just sick of them. I buy SP's trade paperbacks when they come out, but because they collect the comics, they come out sloooooowly. And in the old-fashioned big-ass size, not the handy take-anywhere size used by everyone else.

I think when you're a pioneer, when you get a reputation for doing things right, an arrogance can take over. You begin to believe that no one else can possibly have a good idea. I think that's what's happening here. I believe Toren Smith has even said on his website something to the effect that Shonen Jump will fold eventually and leave Super Manga Blast as the biggest, cheapest monthly.

Here's hoping Studio Proteus and Dark Horse come to their senses, and soon.

------RM
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Toren Smith can be contacted at www.studioproteus.com .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1