• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
References in Dragon Ball.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Since I have the last post in the only Dragon Ball themed official series discussion thread, and double posting is probably disallowed, I thought it was best to ask this question here. I'm sorry if it isn't.

In the original version of Dragon Ball, Son Goku comes across the Red Ribbon Army's Android #8 machination. I realize, of course, that he looks like Frankenstein's monster. However, I was wondering if the choice of 8 and Goku's nicknames of 8-Man and Eighter are a reference to Kazumasa Hirai's and Jiro Kuwata's manga 8 Man.

In the same breath, does Koji Karakuchi from Medabots look like Android 17 from Dragon Ball Z on purpose? I know there have been plenty of tributes in character appearance throughout the ages, and I was wondering if this was one.

Thank you!
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
In the original version of Dragon Ball, Son Goku comes across the Red Ribbon Army's Android #8 machination. I realize, of course, that he looks like Frankenstein's monster. However, I was wondering if the choice of 8 and Goku's nicknames of 8-Man and Eighter are a reference to Kazumasa Hirai's and Jiro Kuwata's manga 8 Man.

That may be so.

And the 'name with a number' style may be a reference to Yokoyama Mitsuteru's Tetsujin 28-gō. (In the diégèse, there were other Tetsujin of which name had a number.)

Also the nickname for him 'Hatchan' (in the Japanese edition) may be a reference to preceding Hatchan, for example, Robot 8-chan (The protagonist (a robot) of a TV programme about robots. Created by Ishinomori Shōtarō) and Tako no Hatchan (The protagonist (an octopus) of a manga by Tagawa Suihō).

'Hatchan' is a nickname which Japanese children are likely to apply to a person whose name has the word 'hachi', though.

Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
I don't believe Horumarin modeled Koji after Android 17. That hair style doesn't seem too unique.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I could see Hatchan for Hachi naturally, based around the honorific, but thanks for your help. I also wanted to thank Primus for your quick response. While I'm on the topic of questions in regards to various strange references in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, I was curious about one filler arc. While training to deal with the Androids, Chichi tries to force Goku and Piccolo into learning to drive. Couldn't Chichi just ride the Flying Nimbus whenever she wanted to? I understood that Goku could share it with whomever he wished to, and Chichi was naturally quite pure of heart. Am I missing something, or should I just not think so deeply about joke filler arcs?
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
IIRC it was more like a joke, without second thought. In-universe you can explain that Chi-Chi wanted her uneducated, unemployed husband to maintain the base of the normality,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1