• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Working on Pokemon X/Y Saved-Data Bug Fix

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Tsk tsk tsk.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes, this is indeed mortifying...
Thank goodness I decided not to immediately buy X/Y...
I wonder if this saved-data glitch patch will be implemented within future copies of the titles?
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm glad I didn't decide to preorder the game, especially when if there's one bug, there are often others.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Never even noticed it. Saved on the South Boulevard many times on my way back from the clothing and grooming shops.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I learned of the glitch early on so I didn't brick my game.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Oh, yes, this is indeed mortifying...
Thank goodness I decided not to immediately buy X/Y...
I wonder if this saved-data glitch patch will be implemented within future copies of the titles?

In actuality, most of the Pokemon games tend to have other game-breaking glitches early on, all of which are fixed for the future cartridges they sell (and the international releases that everyone here are familiar with). B2W2 in early Japanese releases, at least, has a glitch where, if you save/turn off the power/exit victory road when you meet and follow the Zoroark post-game BEFORE making it to the castle with N, the Zoroark will return to its original spot and never move again, making the castle impossible to reach and N's legendary Dragon impossible to encounter.
So if they at least follow their typical tradition, future games WILL be patched AND current games can get the patch implemented.

It's just that this was an international release, so people are freaking out here for once, whereas these kinds of things only were avoided beforehand because they had time to fix them.

Quote:
Wow, I'm glad I didn't decide to preorder the game, especially when if there's one bug, there are often others.

Nothing else reported yet. The games are FAR better made than usual. It's just... this bug is also a big one that can make it impossible to play the game again. That said, a few people have spent a ton of time actually experimenting with the dangerous glitch and they've found that there are simple ways to get the game to play properly again without losing the data, including soft-resetting a bajillion times, pressing the home button a bajillion times, and so on (there are videos online and a friend of mine who came across the glitch tried the soft-resetting and it worked). It's mostly random and they can't figure out what causes it, though people are suggesting it's the taxi cabs, as the places people are most likely affected in are near the cabs and their stops.

Quote:
Never even noticed it. Saved on the South Boulevard many times on my way back from the clothing and grooming shops.

I believe the general consensus is that the glitch starts upon turning the game off after saving in those districts, and/or when the game is loaded in the districts. So saving by itself doesn't screw the game up.

They'll have the fix up in a few days, like they usually do. For those who don't want to download the patch from the online shop and would rather buy an already patched copy, they usually make an update on the Nintendo site (not the Pokemon site) about when they start replacing the in-store copies with the fixed versions. It usually doesn't take more than a week in Japan, but I don't know how this will work on an international level.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this will be a problem for me because my home wi fi doesn't let me connect to the eShop. I never visited the eShop once in these years owning a 3DS. ugh....
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo announced on Friday that it is working on a downloadable application to fix a bug in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. The application will fix a reported bug that freezes the game when players save their game in certain areas of Lumiose City and then reload the save file. Nintendo advises players not to save in those areas of the city (as seen in blue on the map above). The application will be downloadable from the Nintendo eShop, and it will fix the saved data.

This is slightly incorrect. It is not an "application", but rather, a save data update patch.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I saved in a cafe after trying and failing to sit at one of the tables lining the street so I could saved only to find out almost immediately after that saving outside in the city is a big no-no. Thank goodness for that. I feel bad though for the good number of people who didn't know about it or find out about in time and lost hours of playtime.
CarnivalCorpse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
I've been lucky, I had hours of saved data before I discovered online about this glitch, I feel bad for people who discovered the hard way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1