• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Petit Pretty Squid Girl Super DX

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vermilionone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
That's a terrible shame.

I'm not sure if it's true in person, but from the photos it looks the the figure's proportions are completely off. She seems a bit tall and curvy. It's as if it's not REALLY a Squid Girl figure, but a figure of someone's slightly-less-than-middle-of-the-road cosplay as Squid Girl.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't buy that for 20 dollars >_> Maybe for 10...
But that figure it like something you'd see at a Toys R Us or Walmart being sold to kids who don't know better...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Does it smell like a squid? Maybe they thought that was a feature. :)
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
vermilionone wrote:
That's a terrible shame.

I'm not sure if it's true in person, but from the photos it looks the the figure's proportions are completely off. She seems a bit tall and curvy. It's as if it's not REALLY a Squid Girl figure, but a figure of someone's slightly-less-than-middle-of-the-road cosplay as Squid Girl.

You know, you're completely right. I suspect they used a universal doll body without particular regard for the character (aside from the body, where you can see her dress clings a little too much, if you get me).

http://www.hlj.com/product/AZNPND037IKA

This is an upcoming Azone doll of the character. It's much taller at 23cm, but you can see that she looks a lot more like herself.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Does it smell like a squid? Maybe they thought that was a feature. Smile

It's the same new-plastic smell that most figures and especially PVCs tend to carry: just stronger.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
vermilionone wrote:
That's a terrible shame.

You know, you're completely right. I suspect they used a universal doll body without particular regard for the character (aside from the body, where you can see her dress clings a little too much, if you get me).

I was actually kind of expecting you to mention something about that in the review. It's especially noticeable in the 4th pic which shows the visible screws. I saw that, and was like "Wait, did she always..." Was kind of hesitant to point it out myself, though, especially since there wasn't any mention in the review. Embarassed
RZetlin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't think the Squid Girl look too bad from the pictures you posted.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
I think I can remember having an initial interest in this one. Came up as a picture on the preorder list, clicked on it, saw the price and just backed away Laughing

I live in hope of finding an affordable squid girl thingy...hopefully plush based Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
this figure comes with a set of accessories that duplicate the famous “puking squid ink onto pasta” scene from the anime.
That right there is well worth the price. Laughing
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
"This kind of glowing costs money."

You should make more vids for this column Dave.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Please don't bbq me for asking this question, but are the bulk of your reviews always going to be about action figures? I guess since your column is called Astro TOY maybe so. I would like to read about static, statue-type figures too. I'm not slamming your writing or suggesting that you never write about action toys - I'd just like to see a little more variety with the type of figures you review. (You do a nice job switching between genres and series.)

As far as this week's article, it's a shame that Squid Girl is such a dud, especially considering the price tag. She looked really cute from the official photos on the toy shop sites. I'm hoping the smell will hopefully fade away once she's aired out on the shelves? The rest of the problems won't go away so easily though...
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
100 bucks for this crappy figure of the worst character ever?

lol wut.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
100 bucks for this crappy figure of the worst character ever?

lol wut.

100 squiding bucks for this crappy figure of the best character ever, to be more accurate. Very Happy But not all can appreciate the awesomeness that is Squid Girl, sadly.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Please don't bbq me for asking this question, but are the bulk of your reviews always going to be about action figures?

Unless a PVC turns up on my doorstep, yes. I am mostly given the freedom to choose any toy I'd like, but I make those choices by certain guidelines (both from the top and personal).

First priority is "will this make for a fun column?" This is the main reason action figures are favored for our format and why I rush to put in preorders on especially gimmicky things like this. I appreciate a beautiful figure as much as the next guy (oh ho ho), but I think it's a lot more interesting for our readers to see an item that "does something".

There's also only so much I can say about a static figure, no matter how pretty, and it would be a very short Astro Toy. I personally see Heisei Democracy (google it, not safe for work or kids) as the ideal PVC figure review: he's got 20 photos and around 300 words.

I don't want (and I'm probably not allowed) to turn in a piece that short, and I don't want to bore people with a draggy article that excessively nitpicks the figure just to get to a word limit either. Even though Squid Girl was a terrible disappointment, I would call the column on it a success, know what I mean?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even though Squid Girl was a terrible disappointment, I would call the column on it a success, know what I mean?

Makes sense. Thanks for taking the time give me such a thoughtful reply.I appreciate it!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I saw this at a local store the other day and at first glance I'm pretty sure something was wrong with this figure. Not because of the smell though obviously. This figure seems distorted in so many ways and not to mention poorly constructed relative to its cost. Good thing I didn't buy it Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2