• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Requiem from the Darkness (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Requiem from the Darkness (TV)

Source: Short stories (The Wicked and the Damned: A Hundred Tales of Karma by Natshuhiko Kyogoku)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural

Themes: anthology, detective, folklore, historical, mythology, tragedy

Plot Summary: Tired of writing riddles for children, Yamaoka Momosuke plans on gathering spooky and gruesome stories and publishing them in an anthology called Hyakumonogatari ("One Hundred Tales"). While researching these old myths and legends he comes across a mysterious trio who call themselves the Ongyou.

They are detectives who are investigating the legends to reveal their truths...and bring those in the wrong to justice. Each time Momosuke meets the Ongyou he must face horrible truths and battle with his morals, but he's seeing things he shouldn't be seeing...

Air Date & Platform:
October 3, 2003 (Friday)
Available on: RetroCrush, YouTube

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

Ok so after getting lots of nice recommendation the other day I move this show up in my queue (On netflix) and I had a chance to view volume 1 yesterday some initial thoughts.....but first let it be know that my spoiler go up to episode 4 (Or the end of vol 1) if your going to post spoiler please say how far they go, I don't want to accidentally read something...any who off to the anime at hand.

Once again spoiler through vol 1: "God damn" that's my first thought about this series (and it's art) The style is very unique, the rain in the foreground/background of episode one stand out for me. Also one of other places where I actually had to go back and check is on episode 2 (Willow women). There a scene where Inn that has that hand drawn look to it and behind it the 3D willow tree is certainly beautiful to look at.

As for the characters: The author certainly feels relatable from his lazy type of attitude (Or his writer block), but also that he's a person trying to find his call in life. I think that many of here are in college and that's part of the reason that we are there, (well some of us, other for the party) to figure out what we are going to do with our lives for the next 40 years or so. I won't dive into the other three main character just yet....perhaps after I see vol 2 I will be ready to make an opinion.

Stories: Requiem from the Darkness is often called 100 stories (because of the author desire to write a book with you guess it 100 scary (or perhaps just interesting) stories) and just the nature of the stories are extremely dark and some cases just down right twisted. Also the author mentions how could one murder not be the same as another, (Eye for eye premise) and that the world isn't so black and white; rather it's shades of grey.

Episode 3: I am just going to do episode 3 and 4 for (mostly 4) of more indepth look. Episode three has the bridge as part of the focal point, with our author decision to help the hunter. Also I like the shakespear nod with the hands (Macbeth) that are unable to be clean, and also the skull. The scene with the fox playing the priest and watching as how the killer has that mental breakdown...I like the psychological aspect at that moment, and of course how are sins can live on forever......and someday we must repent.

History: In japanese folklore/history is there a historical importance of bell in death? There is always that one part where the bell rings just before death shall come, I remember something very similar to that in Jigoku Shoujo (hell girl). I know that in English history that bells were attached to coffins so that if someone was buried a little too early they could ring the bell in hopes of being rescued.

Ok back to RftD....episode 4: One of the first things I noticed that the samurai chasing the killer were they shinsenguni? I mean the color of their komono are very similar, and also what time period is this series taking place? Other things that were out there, the sex scene with Oyoshi (Spelling?) asking her blind sister Otoma (Spelling?)not to look yet the sister seems to see dancing head? That part reminded me of the blind girl from GITS: 2nd Gig. Alright continue on with the episode with the more bizarre to just flat out disgusting thing......incest. I felt completely sick at this point and uncortable in my own skin. That probably part of the anime (and the director) but that there are some things that are beyond mind boggling (Spelling).

Anywho Oyoshi turns out to be a crazy, jealous, and very twisted. Otoma death scene with the hairpin throught the eye is beautifully (albet creepy) directed. Also the amount of depth in art here is awesome, the eyes have the shine to them....
and of course heads dancing makes a whole lots of sense now after the death of Oyoshi father.

One more thing I like to note I dig this ending theme, but then again I am such a sucker for slow piano, but I still like the song a lot. Extra: Art Gallery there one piece of artwork that I really like it was the dark bridge (From episode 3) and I am thinking I am going to make that my background....

Ok so that it's for now, hopefully if Netflix doesn't lie to me I am suppose to get vol 2 on Monday. Perhaps then I get more into the details of this story and it's themes.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok ok, I re-watched the first volume to make sure I don't spoil anything. I thought netflix sent complete collections.Its okay though I like this one more and more I see it.

I am glad you like the art(at least I think you do), it is abstract to say the least, but it gives you a feel that most anime don't. Notice very few strait lines. Which is why I don't understand the sound issue(2.0?)

I also dig the ending theme, I also want to point out, that the ending animation is focused on a single person. My favorite moment is right before the word drowning is said. I also however think the opening song is well suited as well. While not something you would listen to in your car, it is very appropriate for the series. It is one of the few series where I find my self not fast-forwarding through the opening and ending(especially the ending).

Also I don't know what kind of account you have for netflix, but if you can, I recommend you watch these all twice(at least) I found myself liking this series more and more, the more I watched it.

Quote:
spoiler[Alright continue on with the episode with the more bizarre to just flat out disgusting thing......incest. I felt completely sick at this point and uncortable in my own skin. That probably part of the anime (and the director) but that there are some things that are beyond mind boggling (Spelling).]
Yeah this series is supposed to do that at points, and while at times it gets bad, I think it was as tasteful as could be done given the subject matter. Don't worry it doesn't turn into some hentai. However it is ultra-violent and sadist.
Quote:
spoiler[God damn that's my first thought about this series ]
Very Happy
How did you like the very first scene, you know the one wherespoiler[ the man bashes in that little boys head.] or when the spoiler[willow woman kills that women and she falls on her own babys head.]Like I said, this is a mature series, but one which I think gets better.

Quote:
spoiler[History:]
There is a lot of history in this series. Well more folklore than anything really, but a lot of the stories are drawn from real life fairy tales. Especially Japanese ones.

Well, it is hard to go on without letting to much out of the bag so to speak. I hope you enjoy the series, it is much deeper than many will have you believe.

One thing I wholeheartedly agree with is this:

Quote:
spoiler[I won't dive into the other three main character just yet....perhaps after I see vol 2 I will be ready to make an opinion.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Urd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
The art is not so unique, it's typical of old Asian illustrations, the world the author describes with spirits and ghosts in Asian stories. And it's a nice choice.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Urd wrote:
The art is not so unique,
Your right, its right up there with Love Hina, and Azumanga Daioh Rolling Eyes

Urd wrote:
it's typical of old Asian illustrations, the world the author describes with spirits and ghosts in Asian stories.
Is this what you are talking about, because it is the only thing I could find that remotely comes close to the art in this anime. And yes it is unique as we are talking about anime, not old art.
Urd wrote:
And it's a nice choice
Glad you say so, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Regardless of how you took my last comments I was not yelling at you, it was just it made no sense, at all. Of course respecting that the original poster hasn't seen the whole thing yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonOfLore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Urd wrote:
The art is not so unique,

Your right, its right up there with Love Hina, and Azumanga Daioh Rolling Eyes

Personally i thought the art was pretty unique :p i guess... its decent art done 'high quality' with define shades and all, while love hina and azumanga the art was just kinda there =/

*oh and im forum-challenged -_-;;*

[EDIT: Fixed your tags. -TK]
Urd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure my english is good enough to comment Art but what I meant is that for example. How they use perspective is what reminded me of the Asian style of design. Of course it's more detailed in the anime, but I was talking about the concept. It's not because people change some details, that they do original things... that's what I meant. Embarassed
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Perhaps I was too harsh.

But for Christs sake, please tell us what you thoughts about the show.

This is what I was most interested in:
Urd wrote:
How they use perspective is what reminded me of the Asian style of design.

The artwork is very important to this show. The background is key to the environment. Nothing is strait. Structures that exist, wouldn't in the real world. Show me a door that has a right angle. The relationship to the author is all suspect.

In other words, this anime is unique. And it does tell a weird story.

Don't worry about your english, it is good enough, just remember to use spoiler tags when needed. Not that you have spoiled anything, just use them if you do.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
Personally, I like Hundred Stories (which I'll refer to as HS from here on out). Much like Mushishi, or a worse example Jigoku Shoujo, HS is episodic in nature, yet entertaining (at least in comparative fashion to Mushishi, whereas JS is just too formulaic after a while with wasted potential).

The art struck me as surreal, but in a defunct way where everything was warped for the sake of giving off a freaky atmosphere. On top of that, the character designs, colors, and backgrounds all give this spooky vibe, especially if you consider the premise of the "story" (a journey to write and chronicle scary stories Razz).

I've only seen vol.1 myself, but found it to be something fresh to the horror genre. It's a nice little exposure of Japanese folklore and storytelling that I don't know much of, but am now interested in seeing thanks to the presentation of this particular title.

And yes, it's a shame they couldn't produce this in 5.1 Mad. Horror is best presented with lots of loud and detailed sound effects.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The art struck me as surreal, but in a defunct way where everything was warped for the sake of giving off a freaky atmosphere. On top of that, the character designs, colors, and backgrounds all give this spooky vibe, especially if you consider the premise of the "story" (a journey to write and chronicle scary stories Razz).
Very much a better word than the one I used. Although I wouldn't use the word defunct.

That is really just the hook. It becomes less important later on. Thats not to say scary stories aren't told though.

Tony K. wrote:
I've only seen vol.1 myself, but found it to be something fresh to the horror genre. It's a nice little exposure of Japanese folklore and storytelling that I don't know much of, but am now interested in seeing thanks to the presentation of this particular title.

It does turn out to be..., well I will hold off on that one. But I will agree that it is something fresh. The first volume is the weakest in my opinion. But it does what it is set out to do, which is to gain interest in the show.

My biggest thing, is how strangely you start to have feelings for the characters. I am not sure everyone will pick up on this, as it is quite subtle. But IMHO there is more to this than just eyecandy. However I wouldn't fault someone for only watching it for that though, there's plenty.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And yes, it's a shame they couldn't produce this in 5.1 Mad. Horror is best presented with lots of loud and detailed sound effects.

I know what you mean, I just finished volume 2 today and it's a series that defintely needs that 5.1, it would be so awesome.

So without further ado, Volume two of Requiem from the Darkness. As always spoiler will go through episode 1-7, so refrain from my spoiler if you haven't seen this yet.

First thing I wanted to get into was the Opening song, which to mean doesn't really do it for me. However I do like the opening animations for the opening sequence.

Episode 5:spoiler[Right so opening scene is shocking (What should I expect huh?) with what appears to be cannibalism.....my favorite way to start the day. Here is an example where 5.1 would be awesome the sounds of rain and raw human flesh snapping and breaking and of course the blood glupping.....

Ogin reminds me a lot of Lust (FMA) in that she very sexual and yet there is something under that skin that makes you want to know what makes her tick....that and I wonder about her chemistry with our dear Author.

Backgrounds: This episode (5) has those beautiful backgrounds, I love the look of fields of gold and the path that runs down the middle.

Author's dream sequence at first the bug seems like there was too much after it was squashed. And then the author fingers become severed.....so bizarre.

The first 3D scene here with the horse racing down the hall didn't appeal to me for some reason, it's felt like it was out of place. But then towards the end the same sort of racing effect occurs and yet it feels right. I am not sure exactly why thought, perhaps I need a third viewing or something.

And then the ending, eating one's own brother how sick...this show certainly has a way of making you feel sick in your own skin. And yet what worse is that the man wishes to have more of that taste, that he craving the taste of human all his life....twisted.]

Eyes: What with this show and eyes, there lots of effects where the eye with take up the scene or something gross with happen with an eye.....

Episode 6 spoiler[I like to think that our Author is official working with the death dealing trio, but I am unsure if that the Author knows what he's getting himself into.....actually what are we (the viewer) getting ourself into? I am still uncertain on how this series will turn out.

Ok so this episode overall was just great. It's dark and unbelievable and most importantly a turning point for the author. Agreeing to deal out the punishment to a wolf who killed for the sake of killing.]

Episode 7 spoiler[So once again another creepy eye scene. This time the eyeball falling out of the socket....well it looks cool but damn that is gross.

The ending was really interesting for this episode, or actually that last portion of dialogue. Telling someone a lie instead of truth can be a good thing. Is that really so? Are there times in our life when we feel it best to lie because the truth can be too powerful. What happens when those lies are confronted with the truth, does the pain become harder. Because you believed a lie for such a long time.
]

Extra: Art setting gallery love the art from this series, so the is extra is awesome, you get a chance to see your favorite backgrounds.

Straight lines: As noted earlier by Dargon, there really aren't any straight line because the art is so different. That said there is something to be said about the background, every line every structure certain has it's own point and angle....and more importantly they seems to be alive, it's quite a fresh series compare to what people are used to.

I can't wait to put in Volume 3, however I've got Howl's moving castle and so I am probably going to watch that with my girlfriend tonight so maybe I will see vol 3 early in the morning.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Ok I re-watched the second volume, and phew. I must say this gets better with time, I don't know if any of you can relate but I notice something different everytime I watch this. I know it sounds like I am hypeing the series, and I guess I am, but it does deserve the hype on one key part, concept. I know, I know, a lot of you are like what are you talking about, there isn't an original idea in this one. Well I say to you that you haven't watched it and payed attention. Anyway I am going to start ranting here if I don't stop. Twisted Evil

Delta:
Ok, so I get you don't like the OP, and I don't blame you. But let me explain why I think it is a fitting OP for this series, and of course you can agree or disagree. I think that for a series like this, a floaty, whimsical piece that is presented, is in such contrast that it works. Although it doesn't set the mood of the anime, I think it does set the mood of the journey. Do you follow. I think of it as a start button. Anyway, thats not the important part. At least we all like the ending.
------------------
Ep5. Salty Chouji (sorry I am going to add tags just in case)
spoiler[The first scene is very important to me.

Ogin(to author)- "Your becoming annoying, if you want to turn back, please be our guest. Go on, little boy."

Okay, so we are dealing with a horse, no we are dealing with cannibalism. He ate his brother, and from that point on, loved the taste of raw flesh, so of course his servant goes and finds wild animals for him to consume. And although it goes against western belief, animals have souls, and they are pissed. That is probably why they broke your spine, nothing personal, but if your eyes never see again the better.

I was mostly disturbed with what the author ate. What was it? I was never clear on this, was it animal or was it human? I know one thing it did make him sick, and it did represent something.]

---------------------------
Ep6. Shibaemon the raccoon dog.

Racoons are a very important creature, cute, mischievous, Ghibli. Very Happy
spoiler[Author--When I first met him...

...I'm a Tanuki

Author--He mumbled it, and I didn't know what to say

...I changed into a human, and can't change back now.

I really felt for the authors effort to see humanity, where it didn't exist. All of the time behind Japanese guitar(or whatever it is called). The only thing is the owner let a madman into his fields to "harvest", was it a freak show, or was it a racoon.

The stills in this one are amazing, whoever is background for this show I must give big props. You are the anti-drug.

The author kills...he does. What did he do? The scum killed his mother, which turned him into this animal, she wishes him not only death, but the non-birth of his existence. The brutal imagery with the children threw me over. It is the perfect lose lose situation. He(author) became part of the gang.]

-------------------------
Ep7. Katabira Crossroads.

spoiler[This one is hard for me, it is where the sword meets the nuts in my opinion. If you are not interested by this point you won't be. I will just start.

Mataichi--"No matter how beautiful someone is, they are doomed to rot away"

And then she melted, WTF, I was talking to the TV at this point. This is a hard Ep to explain. So I will let it do it for me.

Mataichi-- Author, give up on Ogin
Author, Ogine no longer lives
Ogin died seven days ago.

-------------

Mataichi--I said from the start that you and Ogine lived in two different worlds, meaning you really shouldn't get close to us. However we may die should not affect you, do you understand now......

So how about it author, will you vanish with us, or will you stand behind here.]

On a side note, women what to be remembered beautiful and alive.

-MD
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I watched the third Volume a few days ago, so I just wanted to scribe some of my thoughts. I don't know if Deltakiral is still watching this or not.

Ep 8. No dep pou- Field Gun

If the letter is not a dead setup I don't know what is.

The whole idea is that is the gun spoiler[supernatural of course. has possesedsome one.]

Now the author is pretty alone on this one, with a little help from the spoiler[shape shifter], and his brother.

We see a graphic pirate scene of a certain item, and a certain loved one spoiler[Otomi]. spoiler[I found it touching that she killed her self so other may live.]

All and all a chief calls out his tribe using fear of these killings to hunt down the culprit.

spoiler[When this all goes to hell], it is revealed who is behind these things. I find it interesting that the necklaces that were made release spoiler[a drug], and yet it spares your life, but it never says why, unless I missed it. But when they all got murdered spoiler[the squirrels only went to those without it.] And double spoiler: spoiler[Squirrels equal sniper gona get you.][/spoiler]

In the end the sniper does the right thing, spoiler[and kills himself, and the spirit of the gun, which was very disturbing by the way.]

Time for the quote of the episode:
Mataichi: spoiler[It is so bright and lively down there, right Author? The bright shinny world of the living, the dark shadow of the dead, the boundry seperating them is truely paper thin.]
Ogin: spoiler[And living between them is us, in our realm.]
Author: spoiler[Are you saying you live in different worlds?]
Mataichi: spoiler[It's a bit to bright for our tastes.]

Ep.9 Kowai- The Unkillable

This is an important episode, in my opinion.

It all starts out with this guy who can't be killed, no matter how many times you chop of his head he always comes back.

It turns out Ogin is conected to this one, and is very much interested into seeing this one through. spoiler[Her parents were killed by this monster.] Throughout we see the author take interest, and we see he cares for her.

I don't want to give away to much on this Ep. But at one point Ogin helps a little girl by easing her pain*.

This also is also one which makes me love the art style much more.

And also from this point forward I think it is safe to say that I love Ogin. If you have followed the progression of what has been going on throughout, she has been fleashed out, and well you can't help but like her. And I actually really do like her. As a character people get your minds out of the gutter.

Anyway again without giving to much, we see spoiler[Ogins mother Halved].

This one is a real twister, so it is hard for me to explain it all.

Quote of the Ep.
Ogin: spoiler[Who's the monster now.]

*spoiler[Turns out she is forced into being a prostitute.]

Ep. 9. Hi No Enma - Flames of desire

The thing I took away from this was that Ogin some sort of feelings for the author.

I also love the atmosphere that is in the marketplace/redlight district.

This whole ep is about Shiragiku, which is one half of a pair. It is pretty confusing, complicated, and creepy, so pretty much anything I say will ruin it. spoiler[You find out later that this introduces a new character as well.] I feel that this episode had more potential than it let lose.

Quote of the Ep.
Mataichi: spoiler[I think you've gotten the wrong idea Author. our job isn't to save people. It is more complicated than that. We trick people, sometimes we take their lives. Dredging human souls by its nature, is a life threatening job.]
---------------------------------
Overall, I think the first two Ep are strong on this volume.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well I watched the third Volume a few days ago, so I just wanted to scribe some of my thoughts. I don't know if Deltakiral is still watching this or not.

I am still here, I am having a lot of problems with netflix on this series, yet Gregory Horror House shows up with no problems......thanks Netflix your new motto should be "netflix, your one stop rental store for broken disc....."

Dargonxtc wrote:
Delta:
Ok, so I get you don't like the OP, and I don't blame you. But let me explain why I think it is a fitting OP for this series, and of course you can agree or disagree. I think that for a series like this, a floaty, whimsical piece that is presented, is in such contrast that it works. Although it doesn't set the mood of the anime, I think it does set the mood of the journey. Do you follow. I think of it as a start button. Anyway, thats not the important part. At least we all like the ending.

Wow I would of never thought of the OP in that way.....but Dargon you bring up an interesting point. From what I can tell about this series that it is a journey, and it sort of makes sense how the OP is the beginning to the story, but I still love the ending sequence regardless.

Well let me get into volume 3 (Episodes 8-10) which was great.....one thing about this series is that it gets better every episodes. I can only hope that volume 4 can deliever like the previous three have thus far.

Quote:
Episode 8: We see a graphic pirate scene of a certain item, and a certain loved one spoiler[Otomi]. spoiler[I found it touching that she killed her self so other may live.]

I agree as sad as this scene was it's was very moving and shows the power of her being...

Quote:
Author: spoiler[Are you saying you live in different worlds?]
Mataichi: spoiler[It's a bit to bright for our tastes.]

Interesting set of quotes here spoiler[RFTD does seem to have this sort of grayness to it that our Author walks upon....such (the author) wishes to live in the light, and yet want to traverse the darkness. I have always been a strong believer in once you cross a line you can't go back, and this series makes wonder what lines the author is going to cross.]

Episode 9
Quote:
I don't want to give away to much on this Ep. But at one point Ogin helps a little girl by easing her pain*.

This also is also one which makes me love the art style much more.

And also from this point forward I think it is safe to say that I love Ogin. If you have followed the progression of what has been going on throughout, she has been fleashed out, and well you can't help but like her. And I actually really do like her. As a character people get your minds out of the gutter.

I agree that this episode is by far the most important episode to date, first Ogin is really brought into this whole new light with information concerning her childhood. And much like you noted I really feel that Ogin is probably the best character in this series, while the author is interesting Ogin is one of those characters that you just want to know more about.

Quote:
Anyway again without giving to much, we see spoiler[Ogins mother Halved].

This one is a real twister, so it is hard for me to explain it all.

Quote of the Ep.
Ogin: spoiler[Who's the monster now.]

*spoiler[Turns out she is forced into being a prostitute.]

I know what's the deal with this series and spoiler[all the bodies being either chop up, or split into two......but once again the art is amazing...]

Yeah also your quote sum up this episode pretty well.....jacked up. But at the same time it's such a powerful episodes that it's really does a number on you when your rewatching it.

As for episode 10: I must say that I have rewatch this episode several times and it's so damn confusing.....half of the time I am trying to figure out who is who in this episode....

Quote:
The thing I took away from this was that Ogin some sort of feelings for the author.

I think that episode is a strong indication of Ogin feelings for the Author however I felt that previous episodes she also showed some feeling towards the author, but here the author also takes note.

Can't wait till I am done with this graveyard shift this week and then I am going to watch the FINAL volume, can't wait.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
joel_s95387

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
Just to let you guys know, DDD is currently having a Geneon sale. The complete collection is available for a little under $51. I've only seen the first disc and I loved the series, it just came out at a bad time when I had quit my job to focus on school, so money was really tight.

The sale will be in effect until Sept. 30th. Money is tight this year too so I'm gonna save $25 from todays check, and combine that with $26 from my future paycheck in 2 weeks, then I'll order it.

(OT) Money is not only tight cause of school, but it's me and my gf's 2 year anniversary this coming monday Very Happy
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:
Just to let you guys know, DDD is currently having a Geneon sale. The complete collection is available for a little under $51. I've only seen the first disc and I loved the series, it just came out at a bad time when I had quit my job to focus on school, so money was really tight.

Anytime someone says Geneon sale my ears perk up. I already own this one(got from TRSI$48), but my collection is always in need of some more Geneon.

But is it 37 percent off the red price, or is that the price you end up paying? Because if it is the red price, its really no different than what they normally sell it as. I have ordered during a sale before, but that was a coupon sale, so it was different.

Deltakiral wrote:
Interesting set of quotes here spoiler[RFTD does seem to have this sort of grayness to it that our Author walks upon....such (the author) wishes to live in the light, and yet want to traverse the darkness. I have always been a strong believer in once you cross a line you can't go back, and this series makes wonder what lines the author is going to cross.]

oh, oh, I can't wait for you to see the end! Its a real like it or not kind of thing. I have strong feelings pulling me in both directions myself though.

Deltakiral wrote:
]I agree that this episode is by far the most important episode to date, first Ogin is really brought into this whole new light with information concerning her childhood. And much like you noted I really feel that Ogin is probably the best character in this series, while the author is interesting Ogin is one of those characters that you just want to know more about.
Yes, yes, did you happen to notice the two references spoiler[that Ogin is dead, but that each time something else gets brought up which would refute that statement making it moot. Altough I think we both have figured things out as viewers, I think it was clever to try and keep doubt in the viewers mind. And things really aren't black and white, and we don't know the whole truth yet.]

And yes Ogin is the best character in the series. I mean the Ending theme is a dedication to her!

Deltakiral wrote:
As for episode 10: I must say that I have rewatch this episode several times and it's so damn confusing.....half of the time I am trying to figure out who is who in this episode....

Yeah you pretty much have figure out spoiler[that the names of the girls have been switched depending on who is talking. Even after we find out she stole her friends identity.] And even when you figure that out it is still confusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2