• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kazuki Takahashi Draws 'Drump' 1-Shot 9 Years After Yu-Gi-Oh's End

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
So, it's a one-shot manga about a card game. Is Kazuki Takahashi related to Rumiko Takahashi? Because they seem to have the same story range.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Animeking: *Burn*

Anyway, I guess we'll probably be seeing it in SJA soon enough.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Has he done anything besides supervise since the original yugioh manga series ended?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
'Drump'... What a name! Couldn't think of anything better? (This thread is full of questions already!)
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Someone's trying to create another lucrative toy centric series.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
So, it's a one-shot manga about a card game. Is Kazuki Takahashi related to Rumiko Takahashi? Because they seem to have the same story range.

I dunno. Have Kazuki Takahashi created a long and curiously mature love story tempered with comedy? Did he also create a compelling (and relatively brutal) horror series? And have we somehow forgotten about those because we only think he can make manga about card games and hilarious hairdos?

If the answer to all those are yes, then there might be a chance they're related. Maybe.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I can see this not working out well already. Good thing it's just a one-shot.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I dunno. Have Kazuki Takahashi created a long and curiously mature love story tempered with comedy? Did he also create a compelling (and relatively brutal) horror series? And have we somehow forgotten about those because we only think he can make manga about card games and hilarious hairdos?

If the answer to all those are yes, then there might be a chance they're related. Maybe.

He WANTED to create a horror manga, but it ended up as a manga about games, instead. Before the game manga, he also created a manga about pro-wrestling. I also highly doubt Kazuki and Rumiko are related just because the kanji for their last names are the same. Besides, Yu-Gi-Oh! wasn't always about cards; it introduced many games before Duel Monsters.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
'Drump'... What a name! Couldn't think of anything better? (This thread is full of questions already!)

Best guess is that it's a play on "Trump," which is the Japanese word for the traditional deck of 52 (or the cards thereof).
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
R. Glover wrote:
He WANTED to create a horror manga, but it ended up as a manga about games, instead. Before the game manga, he also created a manga about pro-wrestling. I also highly doubt Kazuki and Rumiko are related just because the kanji for their last names are the same. Besides, Yu-Gi-Oh! wasn't always about cards; it introduced many games before Duel Monsters.

I was actually vaguely aware about that, or at least that Yu-Gi-Oh was a somewhat different beast before it lost itself in the trap card.

At any rate, I'm actually quite delighted to hear about this, because it means that the hilariously petty slight against both of them were made in more or less "I've heard about Yu-Gi-Oh/Ranma and Inuyasha, so I know all about this" ignorance.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
R. Glover wrote:
He WANTED to create a horror manga, but it ended up as a manga about games, instead. Before the game manga, he also created a manga about pro-wrestling. I also highly doubt Kazuki and Rumiko are related just because the kanji for their last names are the same (I mean, I'm not sure yet that they're related, but I still doubt it). Besides, Yu-Gi-Oh! wasn't always about cards; it introduced many games before Duel Monsters.

I was actually vaguely aware about that, or at least that Yu-Gi-Oh was a somewhat different beast before it lost itself in the trap card.

At any rate, I'm actually quite delighted to hear about this, because it means that the hilariously petty slight against both of them were made in more or less "I've heard about Yu-Gi-Oh/Ranma and Inuyasha, so I know all about this" ignorance.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
By the way, speaking of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, you may already know this, but it's become clear that both Nicktoons and Vortexx don't want it on the air anymore; Nicktoons delayed the classic Yu-Gi-Oh! back in January all the way until March 11, then it aired S1 over and over again until it got paired with Digimon on June 10 and started airing S2 and some of S3. On July 19, YGO got replaced by NFL Rush Zone on Fridays until they finally removed YGO from its lineup for good starting Sep. 16; ZEXAL used to air Fri. 9p-10p, Sat. 11a-12n, later 2p-3p, later 2:30p, and Sun. 11a-12n, then 11:30a-12:30p; now they're only airing it on Sun. at 12n and 3p. As for Vortexx, they're no longer promoting the classic Yu-Gi-Oh! and are promoting less of ZEXAL. The franchise is also not as popular as it once was; for example, WizKids/NECA's Yu-Gi-Oh! card wallet Kickstarter project failed to meet its funding goal; therefore, no high-quality wallets will be made. Instead, another version of the wallet will soon be made.

Getting back to "DRUMP"; it IS an odd name, but I think that Takahashi wanted a unique name, like Yu-Gi-Oh! is. Also, one guy says the symbol on the card looks like the Eye of Wdjat, and Ravegrl says that the red and yellow pointy designs look like Yugi's hair. What do YOU think? Are they somehow connected?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1