• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Freshly Baked

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote
I just got Yakitate volume 1 in the mail too. And I have to say, after glancing at a few pages, the translation looks pretty good.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
I really reccomend that people read Sae's story if they liked Peach Girl, it's touching and has the same charm plus it really makes you feel for Sae. Suzuka is a little lame at first but it really gets good around voume 3-4 when it turns into a great romance drama and if you're a fan of the anime you should read past the first half of the manga because it goes past the anime and shows what becomes of Suzuka and company. Yakitate Japan is a little corny but very enjoyable I reccomend getting that manga too, it's one of the few shounen titles that doesn't annoy me. Naruto was very good at first but by this volume I am extremely tired of it, I can understand fandom and an excellent rating but it surprises me so many people rate Naruto as a masterpiece.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:56 am Reply with quote
Just having Yakitate!! Japan volume one in my hands in English was enough to warrant an "A" as far as I'm concerned, but it's great to see I'm not alone in this being an excellent showcase of its genre.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
That Naruto review was spot on. The political nonsense always bored me when I was into that series. More fights thats what yer good for right?!?? LoL
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote
The secret Ninja Nations with the secret Ninja Leaders Meet secretly to secretly siscuss secret actions secretly against the secret village with it's secret leaders using secret weapons and secret spies........secretly.

Seriously, I think it would just be so much better if it was just like 3 pages all together explaning the whole thing and the rest was fighting.

Speaking of which, Naruto 11 pushes the GN to one chapter shy of where it is in Shonen Jump. Is Viz going to publish GNs that use chapters not yet put in SJ? or is there just going to be longer-than-normal delays between Naruto GNs now?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

Speaking of which, Naruto 11 pushes the GN to one chapter shy of where it is in Shonen Jump. Is Viz going to publish GNs that use chapters not yet put in SJ? or is there just going to be longer-than-normal delays between Naruto GNs now?

Unless there's a 10-11 chapter volume coming out, they'll continue them for every three months, since three chapters a month equals 9 chapters in 3 months, which is one graphic novel.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
I read the first volume of Yakitat Japan a few months back, and the only thing that dissappointed me was that I could only find the first volume. I can't wait to get my hands on this! It's such an insane manga, and the breads look and sounds so good!

And the 'Angel' manga....I want that! Oh, if only Biblos hadn't gone down. The way it was described reminded me of a one-shot short story collection manga I read last month called 'Same Cell Organism'. There was a chapter in that about a boy who had wings, but it focused more on how it affected those around him than it did why he had wings.
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
This sums up everything: the world is automagically a better place now that Yakitate!! Is out in the states.

I shall bake to celebrate.~♫ ♥♥♥♥
Mmm…butter rolls ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Yakitate!! Japan was one title I checked out with a lot of skepticism, but I immediately liked it a whole lot. I think the main reason is the author's confident, exuberant style that doesn't hold back. Not to mention, his art is also extremely good. Full steam ahead, I say.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
I liked Suzuka the first time I read it

....... When it was called Love Hina.

(and before that, Maison Ikkoku)
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

I didn't really see it like Love Hina at all, Maison Ikkoku maybe. How far have you gotten into the manga because it was lame at first for me too but I kept reading and I really enjoyed it.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
ShikamaChU wrote:
This sums up everything: the world is automagically a better place now that Yakitate!! Is out in North America.

I shall bake to celebrate.~♫ ♥♥♥♥
Mmm…butter rolls ^^

I concur.

I thought that Y!J wouldn't be out until mid-September. =\

Now that I know that the Suzuka manga does indeed go past the point where the anime left off (thanks chrisb), I've decided to buy it. Although, Del Rey's logo of the series just looks really plain & disgusting, IMO. Mad
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

I didn't really see it like Love Hina at all, Maison Ikkoku maybe. How far have you gotten into the manga because it was lame at first for me too but I kept reading and I really enjoyed it.

He probably didn't read past the opening chapters. That are very much alike Love Hina. The story takes a dramatically different turn and tone after that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"England. France. Germany. What common thread binds these three nations together? Answer: each is famous for producing unique, distinctive, delicious bread. But what of the island nation of Japan, home to rice and delicacies of the sea?"

Melon bread, perhaps?
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
I clicked on the Yakitate!! Japan link out of curiosity recently. How do you make a shounen manga about baking? There are other topics out there but baking? The premise for the story sounds interesting. I watch a lot of Food TV and would like to see how accurate the author is on the details. I hope my nearby bookstore gets an early shipment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3