• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Pictures from Japan's Famous Owl Cafes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about this...unlike cats, owls aren't domesticated, and it appears some of these birds are tied down to wooden platforms. I know that's to keep them from flying off but that hardly seems humane, and if anything is pretty distasteful. Plus there's something disturbing about seeing a bird with sharp talons perched on top of a person's head.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
I don't know about this...unlike cats, owls aren't domesticated, and it appears some of these birds are tied down to wooden platforms. I know that's to keep them from flying off but that hardly seems humane, and if anything is pretty distasteful. Plus there's something disturbing about seeing a bird with sharp talons perched on top of a person's head.

Can't agree with you more... I went to a cat Cafe in Japan back in July, it was cute and fun. Hell one of the cats jumped onto my lap and snuggled with me.

While owls can be cute, I don't want to go to an Owl cafe... They looked like they will peck and maybe gouge...

I'm going to guess people will lose interest soon... mostly due to injuries...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this. It seems inherently dangerous: owls have large talons and, being undomesticated, will have wild tendencies. I wont be surprised if someone gets scraped or gouged.

On top of that, it really is inhumane. They are nocturnal and, evolution-wise, are designed to fly. Just look at the pictures from the original source: several animals packed into a small area for guests to gawk at. (And, again, during the day.) No way for them to practice natural owl behavior. Also, remember where they are getting these birds. A sketchy for-profit breeder? Importing live-caught birds, snatched from their natural habitat? We don't know for sure, but it's not difficult to imagine the type knowingly selling to an 'owl cafe.' Consider that these places are noted as being Japan's "latest novelty cafes" as well. What happens when people lose interest and they close? Where do the birds go then? You see it time and again in the US when similar establishments with animals close; the lucky ones end up at reputable sanctuaries and the rest are lost to roadside zoos and backyard cages.

It's just so...exploitative. Potentially harmful to the humans and animals. Yes, the birds are cute, but you have to dig deeper to realize how harmful it can be.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
These guys are really cute. I was thinking that these owls had some kind of story like injuries or for one reason or another could not be released into the wild. I'm not sure if it is the case, but that is what came to mind.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I see people walking around with parakeets.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
It makes me feel a little sad seeing them chained.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
I am planning on checking out a cat cafe when I am there. But I think I will skip out on this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
I imagine they take 'em to a park for some exercise once in a while, right?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
These guys are really cute. I was thinking that these owls had some kind of story like injuries or for one reason or another could not be released into the wild. I'm not sure if it is the case, but that is what came to mind.

I'm not great with owl species, but I see snowy owls and barn owls in the mix, which are not native to Japan. No respectable sanctuary or bird rescue is going to send owls halfway across the world to live at a substandard owl cafe.

Frankly, though, it doesn't matter if they are rescues from the wild or pet trade. The fact that they are being kept in small cages in an urban cafe is wrong. In the US, this would be similar to what pseudo-sanctuaries do; say they 'rescue' animals, but actually breed and use them in displays. That's one reason why certain accreditation programs exist, such as the Global Federal of Animal Sanctuaries.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey wait... this isn't a Hooters restaurant.

That guy sent me to the wrong place...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

I'm not great with owl species, but I see snowy owls and barn owls in the mix, which are not native to Japan.

Actually...they are. Well, they may have been introduced long ago but they exist in the wild there:

All these species exist in the Oceana (Japan/Australia) area. You can click on each species to see which ones are in Japan. Barn Owl included.

http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?location=Oceania
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

I'm not great with owl species, but I see snowy owls and barn owls in the mix, which are not native to Japan.

Actually...they are. Well, they may have been introduced long ago but they exist in the wild there:

All these species exist in the Oceana (Japan/Australia) area. You can click on each species to see which ones are in Japan. Barn Owl included.

I clicked on the owls with the genus Tyto, which covers all barn owls. None are listed as being in Japan. Snowy owls aren't listed at all.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

I clicked on the owls with the genus Tyto, which covers all barn owls. None are listed as being in Japan. Snowy owls aren't listed at all.

You're right...

meanwhile, did you know New Zealand and Japan are similar in shape when you're not paying close attention?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

You're right...

meanwhile, did you know New Zealand and Japan are similar in shape when you're not paying close attention?

I actually clicked through the owl pages again after posting, worried that I had confused Japan with another island. Smile NZ and Japan do both have that swish-shaped island thing going on.
Khooni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
son of a bitch!!! Japan never cease to amaze me. Now if somehow they manage to look like chars from anime .........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2