• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blame Canada(for no anime)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to add that the reason CRTC is being a jerk about the whole thing is they're trying to establish their own content and limit imports. I hear owning satellite dishes over there's illegal too.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:01 am Reply with quote
Yes, we know... well, we have satellite dishes, but we aren't permitted to pay to subscribe to American satellite TV service providers because we have to protect our own channels. Now, I'm a total free market guy, but, for the sake of argument, if I accepted that the Canadian channels for a specific category have to be protected by the government for whatever reason, I wish, at least, they'd let us subscribe to the American satellite TV providers if we so choose but perhaps impose, say, a 10-15% surcharge to support Canadian programming.

Anyhow, Jesse Betteridge has a whole site about how Canadian anime fans are screwed called Zannen, Canada (though I think DVD prices in Montreal for most series are a bit cheaper than what they seem to be charging in British Columbia... and we get French manga in Montreal too... and the FantAsia festival...).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
i live in Canada too and the CRTC is screwing us all
lets blame them for the(increase in) distribution of illegal fansubs Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1