Forum - View topic
Interview: Ryo from supercell




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1945113



Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
This is cool, i love supercell and I enjoyed reading about this: Though what I really liked was the response to the last question xD.

"Before I die I want to win a Grammy Award!"

;p I hope that does happen for supercell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xBTAx



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 181
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Supercell's my favorite band (if you can call it a band, I guess), so that was pretty interesting to read. I kinda wish there were more questions asked about supercell's non-Miku work, but since it was for the AX event I can see why there weren't. Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8160
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm of the opinion that supercell's music sounds the best when paired with Nagi's vocals, so while I'm happy that they are gaining well-deserved fame for their hard work, I wish it was on their own rather than being dragged by the Vocaloid movement.

Ah well, they're still new. There will be plenty of time for more music Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Past



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 3256
Location: China (Searching for Jusenkyo)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm of the opinion that supercell's music sounds the best when paired with Nagi's vocals, so while I'm happy that they are gaining well-deserved fame for their hard work, I wish it was on their own rather than being dragged by the Vocaloid movement.
Really now? Without Vocaloid and Hatsune Miku would ANN have ever even had this interview with Ryo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8160
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Of course not. Which is why, as you'll note, I said that "I wish it was on their own", regarding their jump in popularity due largely to their songs for Miku.

I know how big the Vocaloid movement is. I don't sell it short, but I feel that supercell has the talent to be able to make it on their own (as seen with Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari), and in particular I love the combination when supercell is paired with Nagi's singing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boredandlazy



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Of course not. Which is why, as you'll note, I said that "I wish it was on their own", regarding their jump in popularity due largely to their songs for Miku.

I know how big the Vocaloid movement is. I don't sell it short, but I feel that supercell has the talent to be able to make it on their own (as seen with Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari), and in particular I love the combination when supercell is paired with Nagi's singing.


I agree with you. Whilst I do enjoy Supercell's vocaloid stuff, I really only like them as much as I do because of their work with Nagi as the vocalist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Melanchthon



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 550
Location: Northwest from Here
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Ryo and supercell did the ED for Bakemonogatari, and it is one of my favorite songs, regardless of language. But as for Vocaloids... I don't get them. I really like the idea, as it leads to greater creativity and allows people to make music that never would get the chance otherwise, but I just never got into it. In someways I'm still an old-fashioned conservative salt-of-the-earth farmer, and I prefer to have my music sung by an actual person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
jojothepunisher



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 799
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think few days ago they announced the release for Vocaloid 3.0 or something that supposedly will sound more real compared to the older version. I will look forward to Ryo using that stuff.

I also agree, that I only like supercell's work because of the pairing with Nagi's vocal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5344
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Nagi really rose their popularity in Japan from what I noticed...and I definately saw the name a lot more after bakemono aired than ever. The vocaloid SONGS are nice but the singing with Nagi is far superior, and a lot of the songs she did in 2010 are far better than any they had with Miku. Nagi ftw...shame she's getting a short stick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gwdone



Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 272
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I love vocaloids and Miku especially. Please Supercell, don't write to win a grammy. You will find to do that you have to be dishonest with yourself musically. Never let them conform your music to fit their business template. Look at Rush for example A. Always have 100% "creative control"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13932
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha Grammy Awards! Auto-Tune! Vocaloid! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajr



Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 461
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I notice this article comes out just in time for supercell's iTunes album debut, which was mentioned a week or so ago, I think. I'm glad I can finally pick up "Melt", among other songs. I haven't heard any of their songs with Nagi, so I guess I'll have to check a few of those out too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
invalidname
Contributor



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 2119
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Right now… and really as of mid-afternoon in the eastern US… the supercell / Hatsune Miku album is #1 on the US iTunes "World" chart.

Nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
toyNN



Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 252
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I'm of the opinion that supercell's music sounds the best when paired with Nagi's vocals, so while I'm happy that they are gaining well-deserved fame for their hard work, I wish it was on their own rather than being dragged by the Vocaloid movement.
Really now? Without Vocaloid and Hatsune Miku would ANN have ever even had this interview with Ryo?


This is true but I agree about nagi's vocals - they are still superior. I'd add that I really feel ryo's vocaloid songs are the best and very much so Hatsune Miku wouldn't be where she is today (at AX and promoting Toyota) without ryo's work. The folks at Crypton should be thanking ryo every day.

With his talent a Grammy seems quite possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8181
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

This is true but I agree about nagi's vocals - they are still superior. I'd add that I really feel ryo's vocaloid songs are the best and very much so Hatsune Miku wouldn't be where she is today (at AX and promoting Toyota) without ryo's work. The folks at Crypton should be thanking ryo every day.
Also the hundreds of other composers, just as good and even better than Ryo, that haven't had the luck, or unluck depending on one's view, of having a multi-national record label pick up the tab, but still keep pumping out the eargasims just as much. Wink

Quote:
With his talent and Sony's backing a Grammy seems quite possible.
Fixed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group