• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The irregular at magic high school TV Anime Slated for April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, it's going to be a long couple of months...

Anyways, does ANN get these plot summaries from official sources? Because there are several errors in there which were pointed out in the previous thread yet didn't get corrected here. Like how Tatsuya and Miyuki are not twins, but are in the same school year because he was born in April and she the following March. Saying he has bad grades is also misleading because his academic grades are the top of the school, but his practical skills in magic are terrible.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The name of the high school is Magic High School? Seriously, if that's the level of effort that can be expected of this, no.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the problem. It's called a Magic high school because it is a high school that teaches magic (as opposed to a regular high school).

Still, the full name is Private Magic University Affiliated First High School, or First High for short (there are 9 total).

If we're talking effort, I'd say the novels can have too much at times. There can be pretty extensive info dumps detailing exactly how the magic system or certain spells work (ie, ice magic doesn't create ice, but it slows down the movement of molecules).
larethian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
@Spliiter
Talking about effort, you will be totally surprised. The 'effort' in world-building in this series is tremendous. Far more detailed than any series I know, including Index and Horizon. Sure, Horizon covers more ground (history and stuff), but if we are talking about details and explanations on world mechanics, no one can come close to Mahouka. His magic system is so sound and believable, backed by so much real world scientific principles (computer science and quantum physics especially), that I won't doubt it if it come to exist in the real world one day. That's the beauty of this series.

Anyway, how do I email the idiot who wrote the article?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, don't jump the gun. They might have just translated whatever material the Japanese side of things gave them.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Every time I hear more about this show the more I hate it.

Its like Sword Art Online and To Aru Majutsu no Index had a baby and it inherited all their worst traits.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
As the saying goes, don't knock it until you try it. While reading the novels I couldn't help but notice that it side steps a lot of the things people complained about in regards to SAO. Of course it has it's own share of issues but it does stand apart.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
As the saying goes, don't knock it until you try it. While reading the novels I couldn't help but notice that it side steps a lot of the things people complained about in regards to SAO. Of course it has it's own share of issues but it does stand apart.

Christ don't even start. Seriously.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't see the problem. It's called a Magic high school because it is a high school that teaches magic (as opposed to a regular high school).

Still, the full name is Private Magic University Affiliated First High School, or First High for short (there are 9 total).

If we're talking effort, I'd say the novels can have too much at times. There can be pretty extensive info dumps detailing exactly how the magic system or certain spells work (ie, ice magic doesn't create ice, but it slows down the movement of molecules).

As a writer myself, let me tell you: Unless you are writing an Pen-and-Paper RPG book, excessively masturbatory world-building is not a good idea. Actually, it's the perfect embodiment of bad writing.

Old 1950's Sci-Fi (and slightly before) actually had a similar problem to this where the whole genre stagnated because basically every story was really just the author masturbating to the cool new technology they had invented in their head.

Also, Mahouka is even worse because the author spends inordinate amounts of time on these info-dumps yet can't be arsed to actually describe anything happening in a scene (this is a problem that basically every LN has though). On MAL I got into an argument over this. I took this passage from the first book-:

Quote:
I can't accept this."

"You're still going on about that...?"

It was the day of the school entrance ceremony, but it was still early morning, two hours before the start of the ceremony.

The freshmen whose hearts were filled with anticipation at the future their new life would bring, along with their even more exultant parents, still numbered few and far between.

Standing before the auditorium where the entrance ceremony was going to take place, a man and woman pair, clad in brand new uniforms, was for some reason locked in a verbal disagreement.

They were both freshmen, yet their uniforms were strangely and distinctively different.

We are not talking about the difference between slacks and skirt, nor the difference between a man and woman's attire.

But rather, on the female student's chest was the eight-petaled flower design of the First High School's emblem.

That emblem was not present on the male student's blazer.

Holy non-description Batman! Look at at that sheer lack of imagery! Or anything, really. Now, this is a translation, but still. Come on, we all know LNs have this problem. I actually took the time out of my day to fix that little thing there:

Quote:

"I can't accept this."
"You're still going on about that?"

The sun was shining brightly, signifying that it was early day. The rays of the golden star delicately danced throughout the windows of the auditorium, the sharp and angular features of the architecture slicing deep and striking shadows through them.

The stage was set for an entrance ceremony, though it did not seem like much of one. There was a distinct paucity of freshmen, the few who had shown up scattered far and wide like survivors of a shipwreck. Despite the low attendance, however, each one of the neophyte students was filled with anticipation, wondering about the futures their new lives would bring. The exuberance in the air was almost tangible, giving everyone a bright mood--the parents of the students being the most vibrant and excited. Even the fact that it was two hours before the ceremony actually began could not quell the excitement and anticipation.

However, this jubilation did not reach two people, a man and a woman, standing before the auditorium, free from its radiant atmosphere. No, they were locked into a verbal conflict, both of them glaring at each other with a mixture of distaste and forced camaraderie. After all, they were brother and sister, something easily evident when one caught sight of their features, sharing much the same build. Indeed, they were both freshmen--though one would have been hard-pressed to ascertain that at a minor glance, as their uniforms were completely incongruous. The girl's uniform was emblazoned with an 8-petal floral design--the insignia of the First High School.

The boy's blazer, in stark contrast, lacked this radiant symbol, and thus felt mundane in comparison. Bereft of such an eye-catching marking, it scarcely differed from any other blazer one could see around the school. The boy's face was solemn, as if this inequality aggravated him. His face bore the expression of having endured a verbal lashing...

Wow, that was difficult. I think it took me like 10 minutes to make that into a somewhat readable mess. Hell, I didn't even try to add that much imagery, I just made it actually look like an editor went through it.

Hopefully the anime fixes this problem. I like LNs but I rarely read them because they feel so damn amateurish sometimes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I imagine most of them were written by amateurs.

But yeah, at times I can't follow what's going on, especially since he doesn't use speech tags all the time. I might have to re-read a passage a few times to try and figure out who's saying what (and sometimes failing).

Like I said, it has its share of issues, and I'm not touting it as the greatest life changing thing evar, but at the very least it doesn't deserve to be dismissed by people who think they know everything just because they read a single paragraph.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, I imagine most of them were written by amateurs.

Dude, I'm an amateur. I'm not a master writer, I have trouble writing book-quality stuff without an editor, hell I've never even been in a short story collection.

Quote:

But yeah, at times I can't follow what's going on, especially since he doesn't use speech tags all the time. I might have to re-read a passage a few times to try and figure out who's saying what (and sometimes failing).

That's a problem with almost all LNs. They're written more like anime/VN scripts than actual books. The original Japanese apparently has nuances lost in translation that disambiguate characters.

Quote:

Like I said, it has its share of issues, and I'm not touting it as the greatest life changing thing evar, but at the very least it doesn't deserve to be dismissed by people who think they know everything just because they read a single paragraph.

But that's the thing. I read the first chapter and I stopped because I didn't want to subject myself to it. I don't even know what the hell this damn school looks like yet. And this is a super-high-selling novel. God knows what the NOT-high-selling ones are written like.

Someone on MAL said "it's get better by the third book, the first two suck".

I was all "...why the hell would I read two goddamn books just to start enjoying a series?"

Like I said, I hope the anime fixes this problem.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
A lot of these light novels get picked up through amateur contests and stuff like that. Mahouka is actually the 2nd novel series to begin life as a web novel before being picked up by a publisher (Sword Art Online being the first). Like most authors, he does get better moving along.

I didn't really have a problem with any sort of lack of description. I care about character and actual events more than the environment. Of course I'm not disregarding the importance of the latter, and Mahouka is one of those books where things don't really get described in detail until it's actually important.

But yeah, with the anime you can see things yourself rather than needing descriptions. We'll have to see if it falls prey to other stuff LN adaptations often suffer from.

In the meantime if one so desires the first arc's manga adaptation (which covers the first 2 novels) is fully available in english.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, its almost like you are desperately trying to defend a crappy series of glorified self-insert fanfiction.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
aren't you always the one yelling at everyone to not dismiss something based on a tiny bit of info, specifically in the spotlight thread?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
aren't you always the one yelling at everyone to not dismiss something based on a tiny bit of info, specifically in the spotlight thread?

You don't honestly think this doesn't sound like the worst example of Light Novel trash, do you?

(also I happen to know Mahouka is terrible)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2