• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, December 9-15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
where can you watch a top 20 list? or top 30?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
Still amazes me to this day how well both Shaun the Sheep and Curious George tend to do. Would be nice to see more Western Animation in the top 10, though that's also dependent on Japan airing more over the air...

ashura zoldyck wrote:
where can you watch a top 20 list? or top 30?

Unfortunately, the website that reports the ratings tends to only do the top 10 rated programming of the week. We used to get ratings for other shows from second hand sources, but as of late, those ratings have not really been made public anymore. Regardless, it generally was never a full list, so even then, we couldn't really get an accurate list of the positioning of those shows.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Still amazes me to this day how well both Shaun the Sheep and Curious George tend to do. Would be nice to see more Western Animation in the top 10, though that's also dependent on Japan airing more over the air...
It might have something to do with the former having no dialogue and the latter being only narration if I remember correctly. I also don't believe either has terribly much in culturally-specific material.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

It might have something to do with the former having no dialogue and the latter being only narration if I remember correctly. I also don't believe either has terribly much in culturally-specific material.

It also helps that Japan doesn't make many good children-specific animated series anymore. So the dearth of it forces J-parents to look for other sources.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, while it's true that the majority of anime produced currently is targered at teenagers and adults, Japan still makes tons of children specific series, probably more than all the west does. At least some of these will be considered good by the children.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Would be nice to see more Western Animation in the top 10, though that's also dependent on Japan airing more over the air...

Japan airs a lot more western animation than America does anime, it's just not popular. Polycell's theory is a common one that makes sense as it also explaining Tom and Jerry's popularity in the past. American animation in Japan is seen as being only for children and having no appeal to older viewers. Because of this, the lack of dialog helps it easier for kids to watch and understand those shows. Shows like Adventure Time, Avatar, and Totally Spies have aired in Japan, but they do not appeal to older viewers like children's anime can. Adventure Time or Avatar will never be a big hit at doujin conventions or have merchandise aimed at older fans so there is no point in being invested in them it would seem.

enurtsol wrote:
It also helps that Japan doesn't make many good children-specific animated series anymore.
Every show on the list is for children, so this is false.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

It also helps that Japan doesn't make many good children-specific animated series anymore.

Every show on the list is for children, so this is false.

No, children+older people, not children-specific like Shaun or George. One serves two masters; the other just for them. Hear this all the time from J-parents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1