• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diadumenian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Most overrated anime of 2013? Kirito was bland, the fairies arc was pretty boring (not a fan of elvish looking characters), and Asuna's role is diminished. Plus the ending was predictable. The concept was pretty cool but the novelty wore off pretty quickly IMO.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Asuna's role is diminished.

People keep overusing the term diminished when they actually want to use is stagnated.

Asuna wasn't as grand of a character in the arc as some people might paint her to be, and she didn't become completely useless nor some sort of side lined character in the second, she was just as much utilized in the second arc narrative as she was in the first, hence her role stagnated and didn't become anything greater than it already was established in the first arc.

Stagnation can be seen as a problem but it is not the exact same problem as a diminished character, if Asuna's character had honestly diminished she would have only been seen locked up in her cell and she literally does nothing but bide her time "waiting for her sweet prince", instead she is implied to be ever ready and always observant of her limited surroundings as a means to attempt to free herself, and the most extended time she does act she helps create a domino effect that gives Kirito the piece both in self reassurance and in McGuffin to continue his part in the rescue.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Asuna's role is diminished.

People keep overusing the term diminished when they actually want to use is stagnated.

Asuna wasn't as grand of a character in the arc as some people might paint her to be, and she didn't become completely useless nor some sort of side lined character in the second, she was just as much utilized in the second arc narrative as she was in the first, hence her role stagnated and didn't become anything greater than it already was established in the first arc.

No, she was diminished. She went from a co-equal hero in the first arc, to a prize for Kirito to win in the second. The fact that she made an abortive escape attempt doesn't negate the fact that she was depowered, caged, and subjected to the threat of rape -- including freakin' tentacle rape. The whole second arc was badly written, but reducing her to the position of Princess Peach stands out as exceptionally bad.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Even then, it's not like the Eincrad arc is without problems regarding Asuna. She's introduced as a badass top-level player who rises to second-in-command of the biggest guild and then once she meets Kirito, she throws it away (including a bit where two men literally fight for possession of her) in order to go off and live as a pseudo-family with her semi-husband and adopted "child".
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
Even then, it's not like the Eincrad arc is without problems regarding Asuna. She's introduced as a badass top-level player who rises to second-in-command of the biggest guild and then once she meets Kirito, she throws it away (including a bit where two men literally fight for possession of her) in order to go off and live as a pseudo-family with her semi-husband and adopted "child".

Thanks for making me throw up a little in my mouth, Eisenmann. I knew I should've skipped this review. Now I'm trying to figure out when I became such a masochist. :/

SAO: a great premise that was ruined in its execution. (My review is much shorter. But then, I'm not a professional.)
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Thanks for making me throw up a little in my mouth, Eisenmann. I knew I should've skipped this review. Now I'm trying to figure out when I became such a masochist. :/)

Sorry. D:

I actually do like the show for the art and battle scenes, it's just the writing is pretty bad.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
idk, sometimes I feel like this series gets a bit overhated idk
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
idk, sometimes I feel like this series gets a bit overhated idk

You do have a point. But a lot of it is a reaction to the series being so beloved despite how terribly written it is. If the show didn't have so many fans then it likely wouldn't even be that much of a hot-button issue. I mean, Sword Art Online isn't the worst show out there, but because it is popular that makes it a lightning rod for debate. It might be overhated, but it's heavily overrated in the first place.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Finding something positive to life for in a death game hell is what me enjoy following Asuna's journey. I just don't see anything wrong about a teenage girl who wants to fall in love and live an ordinary life when given the chance under these circumstances. I personally feel Asuna's role was right for her.

People tend to forget that she was introduced as a noob player who wanted to get back to reality immediately. Days must be spent fighting and not idling around. Everything else didn't matter. Her nonstop struggle was what got her strong as she did. However, by doing so, she became cold and distant, as noted when she wanted to sacrifice NPCs for the main goal.

It wasn't until her continuous interaction with Kirito during the second half of the Aincrad arc that Asuna started to appreciate her time in the game. (Why waste time in a dungeon when you can enjoy the nice weather?) Also, she became more appreciative of artificial life with Yui, while before she was the exact opposite. By the end of Aincrad, she became more human.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
SAO: a great premise that was ruined in its execution. (My review is much shorter. But then, I'm not a professional.)

Watch Log Horizon instead -- it actually answers the question, "How would people behave if their favorite MMORPG became real?" instead of turning it into a wank fantasy about a powerful hero who can beat up everyone and get the girls.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
@midori kou

I totally agree!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Can we please stick to talking about the Aincrad Arc here? I promise, I'll review the Fairy Dance section very soon, and then we can all gripe about what happens to Asuna!

@midori kou

Precisely - for Asuna in this arc, it isn't so much about becoming the best player as it is really having something to live for.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately that ends up being defined exclusively as "husband and family"
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to think of it as "emotional support," but that could be me wearing my rose colored glasses.
justice_94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I liked it through the Aincrad arc but it's just trying to last to long with the Alfeheim arc. (-_-)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7