• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hetalia GN 4 & 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Latvia and Lithuania look alike?? Are you sure you weren't talking about other characters? I agree there's a lot of sameface in the series, but Latvia is a little blond kid with short hair and Lithuania is an adult with long brown hair.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I really like the physical quality of these books; the paper is nice and the binding feels sturdy. Compared to the original releases, when TP was still going through the usual venues instead of just Right Stuf, it's far better.

Still...I wish they would translate the Japanese honorifics and the stereotypical verbal tic that China has. Volume 4 definitely had the honorifics, though I couldn't find any in a flip through of 5. It just takes me out of the series, as the character are literal representations of other nations. In order to mimic the manga's original feel, wouldn't it makes more sense to use the English equivalences for non-Japanese characters?

(As for touching strips, I'm partial to one entitled "Davie", which Himaruya uploaded on his blog. It uses almost no text, except a few English words. Many of these strips do end up polished and included in physical releases, though.)
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

(As for touching strips, I'm partial to one entitled "Davie", which Himaruya uploaded on his blog. It uses almost no text, except a few English words. Many of these strips do end up polished and included in physical releases, though.)

Honestly as much as I enjoyed the two France strips featured in the volumes, I think that Davie pulled off the whole nations and mortality thing a lot better. Maybe it was the use of a child to do it, or the simple, almost wordless approach, but it was so lovely.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

Honestly as much as I enjoyed the two France strips featured in the volumes, I think that Davie pulled off the whole nations and mortality thing a lot better. Maybe it was the use of a child to do it, or the simple, almost wordless approach, but it was so lovely.[/quote
Agreed. The France strips' dialogue makes the 'moral of the story' a little heavy-handed. Of course, being that the strips involve adults and are from an outsider's perspective, the words are necessary.

I really hope it eventually makes it into a published volume. I want to own it! Most, if not all, of Himaruya's recent blog comics have been cleaned up and included, some I'm hopeful!
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
While I'm not really into Hetalia anymore I do own the 4th book in Japanese and I just wanted to say that the reason they probably didn't translate the word 'kawaii' was because it was actually written in roman letters in that part (I think it might have actually been spelt 'CAWAII' though), as a way of showing that that's what Taiwan said even if she was speaking her own language. Given the popularity of the word it makes sense to leave it as is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1