Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon Short Stories GN 2


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Would the people in NASA REALLY have been telling her to get married rather than go into space, thought? Isn't it something she would've been training a large portion of her life for?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1020
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
It was the people at the Japanese space agency that told her that...and while I'd hope they wouldn't, I can't totally rule it out... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7602
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
East asian culture anyone? Wink
If I were Artemis, I'd be filing for devorce. Rolling Eyes
That was a mean thing that happened to her, but the iceberg that is Rei would start to melt if the right boy came round. I loved the "alternate universe" last story best of the whole book, spoiler[where the girls are allowed to have gotten married and/or pregnant and their offspring start following in their mothers' footsteps. ] That was my only issue with the whole original story. The Sailor Scouts' celibate devoution to Usagi.


Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 785

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Casa Blanca Memory was an interesting read and really makes me hope they give Rei her original personality in the new anime rather than the annoying one they gave her in the first one.

As for the last short I agree. But if I think of it as a parody rather than an actual story I don't mind it as much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
East asian culture anyone? Wink
If I were Artemis, I'd be filing for devorce. Rolling Eyes
That was a mean thing that happened to her, but the iceberg that is Rei would start to melt if the right boy came round. I loved the "alternate universe" last story best of the whole book, spoiler[where the girls are allowed to have gotten married and/or pregnant and their offspring start following in their mothers' footsteps. ] That was my only issue with the whole original story. The Sailor Scouts' celibate devoution to Usagi.


Why would that be an issue for you? It doesn't exactly seem uncommon that a warrior would swear their chastity to their ruler, and at that time a lot of Japanese women faced pressure to marry and children to further the family line, in a sense, preserving the family, as well as its immortality. So a bunch of female characters who choose to serve as soldiers rather than marrying and popping out babies was a pretty big deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It was the people at the Japanese space agency that told her that...and while I'd hope they wouldn't, I can't totally rule it out... Evil or Very Mad


But I thought it was NASA rather than the Japanese space agency. o_O
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7602
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Why would that be an issue for you? It doesn't exactly seem uncommon that a warrior would swear their chastity to their ruler, and at that time a lot of Japanese women faced pressure to marry and children to further the family line, in a sense, preserving the family, as well as its immortality. So a bunch of female characters who choose to serve as soldiers rather than marrying and popping out babies was a pretty big deal.
Do you really think that is a good inspiration for a country where it's birth rate is in free fall? Even Roman soldiers had families, sometimes several. you might remember Venus, and Jupiter lamented that they wanted a love life, but gave up the idea when they remembered their vow to the Moon Princess, but that just made a nonsense of the scouts "regenerating" every generation. How can that be if there is no generation to regenerate from? The only way we are shown is when Saturn pops up as an infant after she closes the portal on the Dark Moon. Do all the others pop up this way too? Even Usagi who has a younger brother? Are they not blood related? See? Just too convoluted. Not a plot hole, but a canyon that never got explained.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Why would that be an issue for you? It doesn't exactly seem uncommon that a warrior would swear their chastity to their ruler, and at that time a lot of Japanese women faced pressure to marry and children to further the family line, in a sense, preserving the family, as well as its immortality. So a bunch of female characters who choose to serve as soldiers rather than marrying and popping out babies was a pretty big deal.
Do you really think that is a good inspiration for a country where it's birth rate is in free fall? Even Roman soldiers had families, sometimes several. you might remember Venus, and Jupiter lamented that they wanted a love life, but gave up the idea when they remembered their vow to the Moon Princess, but that just made a nonsense of the scouts "regenerating" every generation. How can that be if there is no generation to regenerate from? The only way we are shown is when Saturn pops up as an infant after she closes the portal on the Dark Moon. Do all the others pop up this way too? Even Usagi who has a younger brother? Are they not blood related? See? Just too convoluted. Not a plot hole, but a canyon that never got explained.


It's not a common message in Japanese media that it's okay not to have kids. The reason the birth rate is on the decline is because of because of women being pressured to get married and have kids, but wanting to keep their careers. But also because of the emphasis on work, Japan's ability to turn each part of a relationship into a sellable commodity, the over-emphasis on taking care of the elderly, the emergence of 2D Girlfriends and boyfriends. The birth rate decline was caused by a lot of things, but a message that it's okay to not get married and not have kids was not one of them. And it's reincarnation, not regeneration. They don't need to reincarnate immediately after dying, nor do they even need to be related to their first incarnations. Princess Serenity died without ever having children and she found her way to a new body, pretty easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
jr0904



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 2540
Location: New York City,New York,USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
It was the people at the Japanese space agency that told her that...and while I'd hope they wouldn't, I can't totally rule it out... Evil or Very Mad


But I thought it was NASA rather than the Japanese space agency. o_O


that's is what i thought too cause that is how it was in the tokyopop releases.

either way , its explains why the S movie is the more liked movie over the R & super S movie considering its like a psuedo cannon material while the storylines for both the R and Super S movies felt more like their filler materials.

Though i am surprised that there wasnt any Stars movie.

The storyline of their children following in their parents footsteps would have been perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
It was the people at the Japanese space agency that told her that...and while I'd hope they wouldn't, I can't totally rule it out... Evil or Very Mad


But I thought it was NASA rather than the Japanese space agency. o_O


that's is what i thought too cause that is how it was in the tokyopop releases.

either way , its explains why the S movie is the more liked movie over the R & super S movie considering its like a psuedo cannon material while the storylines for both the R and Super S movies felt more like their filler materials.

Though i am surprised that there wasnt any Stars movie.

The storyline of their children following in their parents footsteps would have been perfect.


I dunno. I didn't like the 'S' movie that much because it didn't really break up transformations or attacks well like the 'R' movie, nor did it forego the TV Series' special attack footage like the 'Super S Movie' mostly did. It doesn't have as good a flowing conflict as 'R' or 'Super S'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Neohybrid_kai



Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 49
Location: Indonesia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
The link to digik gallery is mistyped. That picture brings back memories. I used to have that artbook I wonder where I put that now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7602
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Princess Serenity died without ever having children and she found her way to a new body, pretty easily.
Ah but did she? That to was a too vague to say. If she and the rest did die, then they were resurrected not reincarnated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Princess Serenity died without ever having children and she found her way to a new body, pretty easily.
Ah but did she? That to was a too vague to say. If she and the rest did die, then they were resurrected not reincarnated.


Do you honestly think an unmarried Princess bore children for the royal family? O_O And no. Resurrection implies that they all just popped back up again somewhere in their teenage bodies rather than having their spirits reborn years later on Earth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
TheFullmetalOne



Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
It was the people at the Japanese space agency that told her that...and while I'd hope they wouldn't, I can't totally rule it out... Evil or Very Mad


But I thought it was NASA rather than the Japanese space agency. o_O
I'm more or less tempted to think it was a translation error on the part of Tokyopop. When they were first released in America, Manga was a relatively new thing in America, and things weren't translated as accurately as they are now (some may debate this notion, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make). The First American Woman in space was Sally Ride, aboard Challenger flight STS-7 (Jun. 18, 1983). Sailor Moon was first serialized in February 1992, a little under nine years later. Given her interest in Astronomy, I doubt Naoko Takeuchi would be oblivious to this, since it had to be big news at the time it happened. If it was indeed an error on Takeuchi-sensei's part, she either forgot about it, or despite the event, she didn't have a clear understanding of how gender politics worked in America at the time she wrote it, or possibly some other reason. I suppose that's a question that Takeuchi-sensei herself could answer. Admittedly this is speculation on my part, but at this point I can only work with the information I can access. Anime dazed Perhaps someone else might be able to shed more light on this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeo1fan



Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
It was the people at the Japanese space agency that told her that...and while I'd hope they wouldn't, I can't totally rule it out... Evil or Very Mad


But I thought it was NASA rather than the Japanese space agency. o_O
I'm more or less tempted to think it was a translation error on the part of Tokyopop. When they were first released in America, Manga was a relatively new thing in America, and things weren't translated as accurately as they are now (some may debate this notion, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make). The First American Woman in space was Sally Ride, aboard Challenger flight STS-7 (Jun. 18, 1983). Sailor Moon was first serialized in February 1992, a little under nine years later. Given her interest in Astronomy, I doubt Naoko Takeuchi would be oblivious to this, since it had to be big news at the time it happened. If it was indeed an error on Takeuchi-sensei's part, she either forgot about it, or despite the event, she didn't have a clear understanding of how gender politics worked in America at the time she wrote it, or possibly some other reason. I suppose that's a question that Takeuchi-sensei herself could answer. Admittedly this is speculation on my part, but at this point I can only work with the information I can access. Anime dazed Perhaps someone else might be able to shed more light on this.


Thanks for the info. Can anyone clarify further on this? :O
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group