Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Designer Draws Artwork Inspired by Yuna Kim


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
This is really cool. Wow. the artwork is really nice. Glad to know that fandom can connect with some reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jet_



Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 398
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
This is really cool. Wow. the artwork is really nice. Glad to know that fandom can connect with some reality.

What?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4377
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
This is really cool.

But what's sad is that 2chan is probably gonna flip out over this, they are some of the most racist people on the planet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5996
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is really cool.

But what's sad is that 2chan is probably gonna flip out over this, they are some of the most racist people on the planet.


Yeah, they're probably going to throw racist stuff at him and probably accuse him of being a Zainichi Korean (aka Koreans resident in Japan).

But anyway cool art from him!!! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14276
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote
Forget 2chan. Ya guys haven't even scratched the controversy. Laughing

Anyways......... looks like kimono:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5996
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Forget 2chan. Ya guys haven't even scratched the controversy.


This is going to be investigated according to what I read from KBS World. Yeah I watched the Figure skating and I thought Kim Yuna would win this one, but seeing what happen surprised me, I'm seeing scene of what looks like a repeat of Salt Lake Olympic 2002 over the pair figure skating scandal. This better not be Sochi version of this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheFullmetalOne



Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 170
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is really cool.

But what's sad is that 2chan is probably gonna flip out over this, they are some of the most racist people on the planet.
Forgive my relative ignorance, but who or what is "2chan"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5996
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
This is really cool.

But what's sad is that 2chan is probably gonna flip out over this, they are some of the most racist people on the planet.
Forgive my relative ignorance, but who or what is "2chan"?


Wikipedia will explain that for ya:

2channel

Futuba Channel aka 2chan.net

2chan is famous for the origin of Densha Otoko aka Train Man. However both sites are notorious for Japanese nationalism and racist remark. DTM42 explained to me on another thread:

dtm42 wrote:
-Chan sites aren't supposed to be like usual forums. They are anonymous and have only the most basic of rules. That's what makes them so mind-bogglingly popular. They are the armpits of the internet, that much is true. We talking about sites so uncouth that - as someone else mentioned - the word "faggot" is used as a term of endearment.

-Chan sites have so much trash talk that - memes and the odd sensationalist headline aside - such sites are essentially little more than background noise to the rest of the internet. In other words, don't worry about what they say because their opinions are worthless.

Finally, 2Ch is notorious for housing a lot of very right-wing men who are outspokenly racist and xenophobic. And the country they like to hate on the most is Korea (with China being second). So of course they're going to be extremely biased; that's just the kind of pricks they are. Since they are so biased in this regard that just shows that their opinions are even more worthless than usual. Just don't pay attention to them and don't care what they think and you'll live a much happier life.


Imagine ANN forum without Zac or any of the moderators (Tony K, Keonyn, or Key) monitoring and patrolling it. There would be a lot of racist posts and soapboxing on this thread if Zac nor any of the moderators didn''t exist. That's what 2ch and 2-chan is like.

Also it wouldn't surprised me if the Zaitokukai, the notorious anti-Korean hating extremist group start attacking Junichiro Taniguchi, probably saying he's Korean under a Japanese name or saying his wife is Korean or something horrible and racist about him over his Kim Yu-na inspired artwork.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oatari777



Joined: 02 Feb 2014
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This is really cool.

But what's sad is that 2chan is probably gonna flip out over this, they are some of the most racist people on the planet.


I don’t think 2ch rival Koreans as a racist.
The Korean government has refused some Japanese politicians entry to S.Korea without a cause a few years ago, S.Korean shipline refused Japanese visitors to ride a cruise ship for Takesihma(Docto), and a Korean killed a 95 year-old Korean man only due to admiring Japanese rule.
Another story was that there was a boy called Little PSY who was popular on the S.Korean TV, but once audience knew he was of mixed Korean-Vietnamese origins, netizens started to be abusive toward him, saying,"he is of inferior race origin!","Dirt-bag!", "Get out of S.Korea!" The incident appeared in the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shinbun that was famous of writing sympathetic account with China and North-South Korea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5996
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
oatari777 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
This is really cool.

But what's sad is that 2chan is probably gonna flip out over this, they are some of the most racist people on the planet.


I don’t think 2ch rival Koreans as a racist.
The Korean government has refused some Japanese politicians entry to S.Korea without a cause a few years ago, S.Korean shipline refused Japanese visitors to ride a cruise ship for Takesihma(Docto), and a Korean killed a 95 year-old Korean man only due to admiring Japanese rule.
Another story was that there was a boy called Little PSY who was popular on the S.Korean TV, but once audience knew he was of mixed Korean-Vietnamese origins, netizens started to be abusive toward him, saying,"he is of inferior race origin!","Dirt-bag!", "Get out of S.Korea!" The incident appeared in the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shinbun that was famous of writing sympathetic account with China and North-South Korea.


Well South Korea allowed one former prime minister to visit South Korea, he condemned Abe's visit to the Yasukuni Shrine. But Japan has huge racial issue, South Korea although I will admit there are racism and xenophobia but it's not as big as Japan. I will admit killing a 95 year old man for admiring Japanese rule over Korea is a bit extreme (unless he did something that bad against his own people). I've seen South Korea don't have strict immigration laws like Japan has why there seem to be more foreigner in South Korea then in Japan, and I heard it on KBS World News that Seoul City Govt is going to make a neighbor area where foreign expats lived a tourist attraction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oatari777



Joined: 02 Feb 2014
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
although I will admit there are racism and xenophobia but it's not as big as Japan.


A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2013/05/racial-tolerance-map-hk-fix.jpg
In the bluer countries, fewer people said they would not want neighbors of a different race; in red countries, more people did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5996
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
oatari777 wrote:
Quote:
although I will admit there are racism and xenophobia but it's not as big as Japan.


A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2013/05/racial-tolerance-map-hk-fix.jpg
In the bluer countries, fewer people said they would not want neighbors of a different race; in red countries, more people did.


I question that map Washington Post posted it up, because if South Korea was that racist then they wouldn't be giving permanent residency for foreigners. Also The state department's Acting Assistant Secretary for Human Rights Uzra Zeya has raised concern about anti-Korean sentiment in Japan.

Quote:
The state department's Acting Assistant Secretary for Human Rights Uzra Zeya recently commented on a U.N. report on North Korea's human rights situation.

The department also raised concerns about anti-Korean sentiment in Japan, saying ultra-right-wing groups gave hate speeches and held protests in ethnic Korean neighborhoods last year.

The report also assessed social discrimination against Ethnic Koreans who chose not to naturalize continues in Japan, citing the difficulties they face in terms of civil and political rights.


As I said, Japan still suffer from xenophobia and racism, Korea not quite a lot. I mean don't tell me you're not aware of 2 racist/xenophobic manga/artwork.

EDIT 1: I just read the State Department annual report about human right in Japan, this got my attention:

State Department annual report on Japan wrote:
During the year ultra right-wing groups held a series of demonstrations in predominantly ethnic Korean neighborhoods in Tokyo. Group members used racially pejorative terms and were accused of hate speech by the press and politicians. The president of the group known as Citizens against Special Privileges for Zainichi (ethnic Koreans and Chinese) and three others were arrested on June 17 when public altercations erupted in Tokyo between the group and counterprotesters. Senior government officials publicly repudiated the harassment of ethnic groups as inciting discrimination and reaffirmed the protection of individual rights for everyone in the country.

In October the government dropped a ban that prevented approximately 20,000 second-generation Brazilians from returning to Japan for a period of three years after being voluntary repatriated during the financial crisis. The residency ban was decried by advocacy groups who maintained that the government was “throwing out” foreigners during the financial downturn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oatari777



Joined: 02 Feb 2014
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I question that map Washington Post posted it up, because if South Korea was that racist then they wouldn't be giving permanent residency for foreigners.

S.Korean national policy and its public sentiment are two different stories. Every country that has gotten economic power suffers from a shortage of manpower in manufacturing.
I've heard that especially in your country people don't want to be a blue-collar worker under the influence of Confucian. So giving foreigners permanent residency doesn't necessarily proof that S.K is non-discriminatory society.


Quote:

Also The state department's Acting Assistant Secretary for Human Rights Uzra Zeya has raised concern about anti-Korean sentiment in Japan.


I'm sorry, the following is not discrimination? not hate-based performance? not anti-Japanese sentiment in S.Korea?

They killed the Japanese national birds on the road brutally in an anti-Japanese demonstration in S.Korea.


S.Korean parliament members stomped on the Japanese natonal flag.


The following is not hate-based education?
Some junior high school teachers in Seoul had their students draw pictures depicting each anti-Japanese sentiment. These pictures were displayed in the subway station in Inchon, Seoul several years ago. A Canadian male blogger happened to find the incident, wrote in his blog, and came to many people’s attention.

some of the pictures that the student drew

air raid against Japan





stomp on Japanese flag




Japan's funeral



http://shiratorijun.blog4.fc2.com/blog-entry-22.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5996
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
oatari777 wrote:
Quote:
I question that map Washington Post posted it up, because if South Korea was that racist then they wouldn't be giving permanent residency for foreigners.

S.Korean national policy and its public sentiment are two different stories. Every country that has gotten economic power suffers from a shortage of manpower in manufacturing.
I've heard that especially in your country people don't want to be a blue-collar worker under the influence of Confucian. So giving foreigners permanent residency doesn't necessarily proof that S.K is non-discriminatory society.


If South Korea was that racist/xenophobic like you claim, then K-pop and K-drama wouldn't have gone global. I mean if South Korea was that racist then some of the big K-pop artists (like Girls Generation/Shojo Jidai, TVXQ/Tohoshinki, etc...) wouldn't be hitting the Oricon Chart or singing in Japanese. I mean they would've just stayed home and just dominate the Korean market and not the international market (unlike Japan, they relied too much on the local market not the international market, so the allegation of xenophobia in Japan is brought up). If they were that racist, then a certain Japanese actress wouldn't be active in South Korea.

If South Korea was that racist, then some K-pop group like f(x) like Victoria and Amber who are not Korean, 2PM (Nickchun who is of Thai), GOT7 (3 members are not ethnic Korean) wouldn't have non-Korean members. I can say the same for Cross Gene another K-pop group which Takuya is the only member who is ethnically Japanese. Except for Morning Musume (which had 2 Chinese member), I never seen other J-pop group having non-Japanese members so some fans have said and speculate that Japanese music entertainment is so xenophobic hence why J-pop never went global unlike their Korean counterpart.

I'm not shaming Japan, but I had problem with the way Japan operate their business when it comes to international market.

Quote:
Quote:

Also The state department's Acting Assistant Secretary for Human Rights Uzra Zeya has raised concern about anti-Korean sentiment in Japan.


I'm sorry, the following is not discrimination? not hate-based performance? not anti-Japanese sentiment in S.Korea?

They killed the Japanese national birds on the road brutally in an anti-Japanese demonstration in S.Korea.


S.Korean parliament members stomped on the Japanese natonal flag.


The following is not hate-based education?
Some junior high school teachers in Seoul had their students draw pictures depicting each anti-Japanese sentiment. These pictures were displayed in the subway station in Inchon, Seoul several years ago. A Canadian male blogger happened to find the incident, wrote in his blog, and came to many people’s attention.

some of the pictures that the student drew

air raid against Japan





stomp on Japanese flag




Japan's funeral



http://shiratorijun.blog4.fc2.com/blog-entry-22.html


I look at some of the pictures and I looked at the link, here's one problem this was in 2005 this was before South Korea changed their image to a international approach. I believe South Korea took their international market I think around 2009, and yes probably because South Korea was making a huge impression to the world, they have to fix their image so that's why I don't see something like this in Korea today, but in the past, it would've been understandable why they did this. But now because South Korea is active in globalization and becoming more multicultural, they were able to eliminate maybe 90% of xenophobia. While Japan, their xenophobia is still there, it hasn't been fully eliminated and it still hasn't been fully combated. Also because Japan has not been active in globalization I guess could be the reason why xenophobia is on the rise in Japan hence Zaitokukai, and Japan sort of having slow changes due to Galapago Syndrome. As a matter of fact, Japan hasn't taken the international market seriously unlike their Korean counterpart. I mean their GDP hasn't gone up when South Korea and other Asian countries has surpass Japan in term of GDP:



This is where some people have speculated xenophobia (and probably the no.2 complex as I was told from another user) is the reason why their GDP hasn't gone up and allowed other Asian countries to surpass Japan. Also I just got the new today that one person in Abe's administration has criticized Abe for visiting the Yasukuni Shrine and also said that the current Japanese administration seems to seek political stability by provoking South Korea and China. You don't see South Korea provoking Japan or China, the only country the South provoke is North Korea.

I'm not shaming Japan, I love their culture but as a long time anime fans it disapoint me that Japan is not taking the international market seriously, I mean their GDP has not gone up and I'm very concern that Abenomic could make thing worse because of raising the tax. That's why Japanese seem to be on a buying spree before the sale tax rise. I like to add I was more impressed with President Park's economic policies seem better and the WSJ said it should be a model for Asia including Japan. I believe WSJ has also said that Japan can learn from South Korea when it comes to economic reform and international market. Japan needs to wake up and need to eliminate xenophobia. South Korea did this, I never seen Japan taking international market seriously when South Korea play this better. Japan was more active in globalization and international market in the 80's which was before that asset price bubble which caused many Japanese companies to withdraw from most of it's overseas market and since then stayed in Japan.

Again, I'm not hating or shaming Japan but I've been monitoring Japan's economic situation and I must say I was disapointed that Japan is sort of falling behind their other Asian counterpart. I guess Japan withdrawing from the international market is the reason why xenophobia is on the rise. Japan is not technologically advanced as it used to be, I'm seeing a lot of tech coming out of South Korea and Taiwan.

Overall, Japan still has a lot of issues not only in race, but a lot of thing but I'm not going to spend time typing the whole problem with Japan.

EDIT: Well it looks like 50 volunteers (both Japanese and Korean) in Tokyo are cleaning up graffiti containing anti-Korean slurs, and the Korean ambassador to Japan also volunteer to help. I'll quote this from NHK World since that article is not going to be up for long:

NHK World wrote:
Volunteers cleaned the walls of shops and houses in a Korean district of Tokyo on Sunday.

About 50 Japanese and South Korean volunteers removed about 50 anti-Korean slogans. They included such messages as "Koreans go home".

A Japanese volunteer said the graffiti isn't good and it should be removed before the problem gets worse. He added that people should be concerned about this form of discrimination.

Protests targeting ethnic Koreans and hate speech are continuing problems in Japan.

The issue was taken up in a recent report on human rights by the US State Department. It pointed out that social discrimination persists in Japan.

Mar. 2, 2014 - Updated 15:59 UTC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oatari777



Joined: 02 Feb 2014
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
To mdo7

Sorry I know little about talents of S.K.There might be more foreign talents in S.K than in Japan, but it is also true that we've heard many cases about foreigners in S.K who received discriminatory treatment. especially against black people and Asians. Besides the Little PSY case, not a few Vietnamese wives suffer violence from their Korean husbands. Some of them were killed by their partners as a result, or committed suicide because of abuse at home. At least in Japan things like this has never happened.
While, Japanese three politicians, members of LDP ,who only intend to observe Takeshima(Docto), were refused entry to S.K without valid reasons in 2011. Ozonfa(呉善花), who is a critical writer and a professor at Takushoku University, naturalized in Japan from S.Korea, was refused entry to S.Korea for no reason in 2013. She was just trying to attend her relative’s wedding ceremony there. Yet, S.Korean theft ring stole a Buddha statue from a Japanese temple in Nagasaki in 2013, and Seoul court convicted them of a crime, but issued an injunction to return the statue to the Japanese owner by an unreasonable reason, that is, the statue was stolen from Korean temple 600years ago, so need not to restore it, though no evidence. All of them above are infringement of Japanese sovereignty, violation of international rules and some kind of discrimination against Japan and the Japanese. Few Japanese people support Zaitokukai in Japan because of their way of roughness. However, the fact remains that the people angry at S.Koreans and their government over such a rude manner in the bilateral relationship.

As for economic issues, in Japan many analysts say "Don't make the same mistake S.K did "
In the most of the countries who promote economic globalization rapidly, income gap between rich and poor is wider enormously. Also in your country while Samson reaps huge profits, the people get more and more poor in large debts. Whether a country is prosperous or not depends on how large share the comparatively wealthy people of middle class account for in a comparison of population. A county with large economic gap is considered to reduce gradually its GDP.
Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel laureate in economics, a professor at the University of Columbia, criticized strictly the ways of global companies which cause deep income gap, at Davos Forum in 2014.
Emmanuel.Todd, a famous French anthropologist, gives warning that the globalization will destroy the foundations of sound democracy. Pope Francis also criticized global capitalism and called for the world community to move into action to fight against it in his Mission Mnifesto. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303281504579221933931268354
I think the tide of globalization now reach a turning point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group