• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sumo Manga Notari Matsutaro by Ashita no Joe's Chiba Gets TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this. I have been noticing a trend that anime producers have been really reaching into their back-catalog for content to make into adaptations. I was shocked to hear about a new LOTGH....now this. Not to mention the new JoJo. Seems like they are doing anything and everything to avoid taking a risk on unestablished properties (very similar to what Hollywood is going through). Not that I am complaining if I get to see shows based on manga like Notari Matsutaro.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that they've chosen a sports anime where the characters aren't photogenic or merchandise-freindly.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this has anything to do with the abysmal number of young men taking the shindeshi (stable entrance) exam every year.

Eventually Japan's national sport is going to be dominated by foreigners...even more than it already is.

Sumo's popularity among young people has died off because most kids today decide they'd rather (try to) make millions playing soccer or baseball than get beaten constantly and die at 50 for a piddling salary.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Spring is getting really busy now, with 55 new shows.
abconline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Really wish they could somehow bring back the dirty, sketchy feeling of old animation. The glossy look of new animation just doesn't cut it, especially for adaption of aged titles like this.
The Mask

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
I would've wanted a pro-wrestling anime, especially since there's a lot of pro-wrestling manga that they could go back to. But hey, sumo's cool too. And if the manga artist is the one behind Ashita no Joe, then I can be assured that this anime can possibly be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1