• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RTO - Sweet Days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Good on you, Rebecca! Welcome to RTO! I look forward to your coming reviews.

Nisekoi seems intriguing. I don't really have any romantic comedies on my shelf (I missed the boat on Love Hina, Strawberry 100%, and I''s), so I should probably look into it.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, this new RTO seems a lot nicer compared to the one of old. Not bad at all though.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Borrow it from a friend or a library. Sweet Rein is sweet and charming, but it isn't quite good enough to buy

I want to borrow it but none of the libraries in my local network have either volume. I do have access to a system called Prospector which covers a wider area. I will give that a try.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I like the column.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
YAY, RTO is back! The new take on it looks nice - not too different from Carlo but different enough to have its own feel to it.

I may check out Nisekoi, since I have been enjoying the anime, though I'm not sure I'll still enjoy it once it goes from being a love triangle to a harem.

And I definitely need to pick up Kagen no Tsuki in French at some point, since I have always wanted to read it. I still don't understand why no one ever picked that one up, since Ai Yazawa is amazing and it's pretty short too.

Happy Go Lucky Days also sounds interesting, enough that I may check it out despite my general aversion to digital manga. If it turns out well, I may find this section to be the best new addition to the column, since usually I don't pay as much attention to digital-only licenses.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Nisekoi being a lengthy series I'm a bit worried about Viz dropping it down the road, based on past experiences.
Though I'll probably give benefit of doubt and get it at this point. I am following the scanlations of it so wouldn't affect me that much even if they did, but still...

As for Kagen no Tsuki, a translated version can be found out there.

@Levitz9 About two of the titles you mentioned, Strawberry 100% and I''s, the first one was dropped by Viz during it's run (Viz published 14 volumes, the total manga is 19 volumes), and the other was censored by Viz.

Last edited by Blanchimont on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought I was the only one to read cereal boxes for lack of anything better.

Good luck with the column. Any idea why it is called "Right Turn Only"??
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I like how you just have a simple review as opposed to the for and against, but I like rating systems. Still, I think that this is an improvement.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
"Right Turn Only" is based on the right-to-left reading direction of Japanese manga, isn't it? I usually forgot and have to think about it for a minute though.

Rebecca, I'm so glad you've revived this column! I really enjoy your manga reviews, and I'm excited about what you're doing with the shorter-per-book format. And as another fan of random old books no one's thought of in a hundred years, I appreciate how your approach to manga mixes both a literary and a pop-culture perspective :D
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'm glad you're enjoying the new incarnation of the column.

Touma, I'm guessing Prospector is a statewide search? If you can't get it that way, your local library can also probably access Interlibrary Loan (ILL) - I use that a lot.

Lys: another fan of elderly books! I've been reading the Ruth Fielding series (circa 1913) and just found a section where the typesetter got the order of the lines reversed. It felt like treasure. Smile
Snootymatt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Really glad RTO is back!

I love your reviews Rebecca particularly your Higurashi/Umineko ones (anymore coming soon?)

Looking back i really liked the For and Against layout of old. Obviously you are fantastic at writing long review as you can go into a lot of detail. But for a short RTO review i feel it works a lot better if you use a For and Against rather than a general review. The For and Against format was worked really well as it gave a structure and forces you to say what did and didn't worked, which is imperative. The danger in doing such a short general review is that you can focus too much on telling the story and end up saying it is generally good/ok without much detail.

Just my two cents and probably only down to personal preference!

Overall i think you did a great job and I'll continue reading all your reviews no matter what!
zeonozero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to the new RTO column

I don't mind the recommendation system, although I'm not going to lie, I kept looking for a bolded letter after reading the review haha
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I love what you have done with the column. Quite informative. Keep up the good work.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Adding reviews of digital manga is a great development.
Snootymatt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Really glad RTO is back!

I love your reviews Rebecca particularly your Higurashi/Umineko ones (anymore coming soon?)

Looking back i really liked the For and Against layout of old. Obviously you are fantastic at writing long review as you can go into a lot of detail. But for a short RTO review i feel it works a lot better if you use a For and Against rather than a general review. The For and Against format was worked really well as it gave a structure and forces you to say what did and didn't worked, which is imperative. The danger in doing such a short general review is that you can focus too much on telling the story and end up saying it is generally good/ok without much detail.

Just my two cents and probably only down to personal preference!

Overall i think you did a great job and I'll continue reading all your reviews no matter what!
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I like the new face of RTO. Will look forward to new columns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3