• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daimidaler the Sound Robot (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote

Daimidaler the Sound Robot
Genres: action, comedy, science fiction
Themes: ecchi, mecha

Plot Summary: There is a high school boy named Madanbashi Kouichi who has Hi-ERo particles, the power source to operate the robotic weapon Daimidaler. With the help of Sonan Kyouko from the mysterious Prince Beauty Parlor organization, he stands up against the Penguin Empire that troubles humanity.

Episode 1:
Whoa now that was weird. Besides the robot and fan service, I find the comedy to be awkward too. Decent action at least but wow, this organization is one group not to mess with. The episode felt a bit fast though but I think it's showing its true colors already.

So much spoiler[boob fondling lol, with ...a purpose.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was so stupid. To be fair I let out a couple small laughs, but the bulk had so many troubles I am not sure that it being a parody helped. First the first fight with the robots had the problem that it looked like the helmet broke really easily, and the later fight has them with no protection and they seem fine.

The "hero" is a terrible terrible person. Am I meant to think there is something kind of cool about him doing his own thing like refusing the dress code, putting his perversion on adults and students, especially peeping up their skirts or groping? It is like they made him out of the worst parts of other protagonists.

Why would enemy send freaky mooks when that only got into a fight with him when all it would take is a lady with boobs? Is the tails things meant to be witty? Why would she let him go back to his apartment alone if she thought he would be attacked there? And how can lines be this cheesy?
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
It needs to be mentioned that the mecha designs look like they were done by a 5 year old. I realize that this show is supposed to be tongue in cheek but instead of funny it's just sad. The two main characters go off model constantly, this show is a pile.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I say for certain that this is going to be my dumb ecchi show of the season. I would say at moment I think this show knows it is stupid and I hope it does not take itself seriously because if it does I'm dropping this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not High School DxD season 3, but I guess I'll take it. but man was that stupid
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Not to be rude but does anyone here who watched and loved Kill la Kill even have the right to call something "TOO stupid" anymore? Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill was awesome stupid and very entertaining. this was neither
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
What getchman said. Some of us have gone at a tangent of smart things in KlK, but to be honest I did start of hating it in a similar way.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
What getchaman and DP said. There just doesn't seem to be anything original here. I need something more than lame fan service.

And really, those penguin guys with the boners don't do it for me.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
well i've watch 1st ep of this mecha DxD yet really more to go for it.

due to male lead is a like total rebel perv outlaw like person who can power-up being total perv.

yet bad penguin really those "tails" gag & yea feel like take that penguins of madagascar are bad guys.

& yet series had same crew did DxD i wonder by time Funi dubbing yea there so make more "he we go again".
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Fanservice, unoriginality and stupidity were all part of KLK you know Wink

The point is i still don't think we can all anything too stupid at this point just not our "cup of tea kind of stupid". I already know folks elsewhere who are stoked about this show despite how i utterly hated every second of it. I don't think the series will ever take itself seriously so I think it will get a pass for diverging from logic as KLK did.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Fanservice, unoriginality and stupidity were all part of KLK you know Wink

Trolling much?

KlK has its own art style, considerable humor mixing highbrow and lowbrow modes, freewheeling mastery of action and perspective, multilayered political storyline, and a complex moral proposition to solve. Maybe no one element in it was really original, but it put everything together in a pretty original way. And it never got boring.

Granted we have seen only Episode 1 of DtSR, but it has no hint of showing any of this. It gives up everything in exchange for some breast groping and panty flashes and obvious penis gags. And they aren't even that well drawn. If I find I have the time to do so I'll probably look in on one or two more episodes to see if anything develops but I don't have much hope for it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Putting a bunch of unoriginal things together doesn't necessarily make it original. It might make it more interesting if done right but I think most people agree that Kill la Kill uses many tropes/concepts from other things and makes them awesome.

Same deal with the references here. Anyone who has watched stuff like Highschool DxD and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica can already make comparisons to this show besides the character design being similar to DxD. The MC being perverted and gaining power by getting turned on, the sexual innuendo jokes, MC actively groping women as the show tries to justify it etc.

As it's something I've seen before I wasn't really affected by it but my point is both shows have unoriginal elements but of course Kill la Kill had presented them in a manner that was more refreshingly enjoyable.

I'm not saying that if you liked Kill la Kill you HAVE to like this because they both have a different style of comedy/presentation but I don't like the idea of calling something TOO stupid when you something that is possibly equally stupid gets a pass.

Stupid is stupid after all lol. Laughing
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
This is a mech echi comedy that's a perverted parody of the giant robot genre. Personally, I find it funny at the ridiculousness but it could get stale very soon if it just recycles the same jokes every episode.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Stupid is stupid after all lol. Laughing

The creators of Kill la Kill are not stupid. They know what amount of realism and "logic" to sacrifice for storytelling purposes, humour, visual expression etc. Daimidaler on the other hand, I can't tell if it's written by a human being or a computer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5