• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Prime Minister Abe Swings By the Evangelion Sword Exhibit in Paris

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Abe was enthusiastic about the spread of Japanese culture and said to reporters, "Anime is very popular in France. It showcases Japan's strengths and is positive for growth."

Well you shouldn't be surprised minister Abe, France had shown anime for a very long time. I mean that country had anime that we didn't have in the US. (ie: The Rose of Versailles, France and Europe had the show first way before US picked this up. Let's not forget Creamy Mami and Candy Candy, France and Europe had this show when US never got this).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The implement of Longinus in the series is actually the Spear of Longinus (which has incidentally been incorrectly referred to as Lance in licensed media previously). The ones carried by the Mass Production Evangelions in End of Evangelion do have the alternate form of Heavy Spears, which are often called Giant Swords, but the term is always Spear of Longinus.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing incorrect about the term "Lance of Longinus". Both lance and spear have been used to describe the legendary Christian relic

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

It most certainly is NOT a sword, however.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper That's a typo that I kept overlooking. I meant to type "Spear" but since I was looking at references about the sword exhibit, I typed Sword, since they both started with S. Oops. Thanks!
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
There's nothing incorrect about the term "Lance of Longinus". Both lance and spear have been used to describe the legendary Christian relic

Ah, right. I just meant in referring to the mystical weapon in Evangelion.

@Bamboo: It happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1