• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Bill on Making Illegal Streams a Felony Detailed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
valuable copyrighted works for commercial advantage or private financial gain."

unfortunately very very FEW sites actually do this for commercial advantage or private financial gain. they do it to spread entertainment that otherwise is not being spread on these shores.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

unfortunately very very FEW sites actually do this for commercial advantage or private financial gain. they do it to spread entertainment that otherwise is not being spread on these shores.

A lot of those sites make a decent amount of money through advertisements and donations, especially the more popular ones.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
But most of these streaming sites are located offshore. Unless the US blocks these sites (which would take another bill to do so), the overall impact will barely be noticed.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Sigh I hope this dosnt pass it would be a shame that the people in the US cant watch anime
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
But most of these streaming sites are located offshore. Unless the US blocks these sites (which would take another bill to do so), the overall impact will barely be noticed.

You might be surprised if you check into it. I picked one fansub site at random, and the website was registered in the U.S. with GoDaddy, and the server was in Chicago.

Most of these sites probably think they are shielded by the fact that do not host the material themselves, but instead post a link to the video hosted on MegaVideo, Daily Motion, MySpace video, etc., but I doubt that will be an effective defense if this law passed.

Even if the server was overseas, if any of the principles were in the United States (which is quite likely with any website targeted at a U.S. audience), they would still be subject to prosecution.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

You make an exceptional point there Cutiebunny. This bill would be very effective if all the streaming sites all were located in one state, but I think the creators of this website know that would make for easy pickings.

I used to have a English teacher who once said "don't put all your eggs in one basket." and it certainly rings true in this case.

Over the years I've read several illegal downloading proposed bills and laws. Some of the proposed bills seem like they could do very little, if anything at all and some sound very nice in words, but actually taking action would be a completely different story.

But this one sounds actually different because it focuses on streaming. I am not sure how it will turn out, but at very least, it sounds like a well constructed bill thus far.

Now I am not saying this will fix the problem once and for all, but it's a step in the right direction. In cases such as these, any step in the direction is better than nothing at all.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

That's not true at all, if they wanted to spread entertainment they wouldn't be posting anime that's streaming legally. They make a good amount of money uploading anime then advertising it on various places. They take money from the companies who create, and bring anime to America.

Places like MF are entirely in it for the money. They're not anime fans their just people looking for easy money.
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
If they're streaming anime that would not be seen over here, is older and has lost its license and renewal, older and isn't demanded from current viewers, or just hasn't seen these shores, I'm fine with those streams being up and I would raise hell if they got taken down.

But if they're illegally streaming stuff like what's being legally streamed on ANN, then no, they don't deserve to be up. I wholly support streams that stream older, unseen and unheard of anime, and/or anime that has not seen the light of these shores, but anime that has been licensed should be seen on streams that are allowed to be streamed. There's no need to fatten the pockets of people that make a living off of diverging licensors.
MarkJr92892

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that it is getting easier (cheaper) for legal license holders to take action against the theft of parts of their market Smile . It is sad that, just a few months ago, when I recommended House of Five Leaves to a friend, I actually had to give him the specific YouTube URL for its show page there so he could legally view here in Canada Crying or Very sad .

Hopefully soon, when one searches for licensed animes in search engines, the link to its licensors' legal distributions will be the first and only links to come up offering the ability to consume the product Smile .
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
This news is .... 2 months late.

TheAncientOne wrote:

You might be surprised if you check into it. I picked one fansub site at random, and the website was registered in the U.S. with GoDaddy, and the server was in Chicago.

Do you mean fansub sites like Dattebayo, or anime streaming sites like generic-anime-streaming-site-464.com? AFAIK, most fansub groups only post torrents and DDL links in their sites.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
So what's the definition of a "performance"? Guess once this passes I better pick which 9 anime episodes I want to illegally stream...because one more and it's a felony!?! Shocked But hopefully those sites will simply be shut down. In the case of illegal streaming, it simply makes more sense to punish the uploaders rather than the downloaders...

The problem is that I'm not sure the lawmakers understand this.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
This has "bad idea" written all over it for many reasons, several of which are covered in the linked articles. Let us look past the people putting up other people's works for a second and look at it from another angle. Viacom, the copyright holders for The Daily Show, was trying to sue Google over Youtube videos of The Daily Show, that Viacom themselves placed on Youtube. That's right, a copyright holder's legal department was sueing Google over something one of their other departmnets did, and now they want to turn that into a felony? As Slashdot mentioned, what about embedding videos? What if someone embedded one of those videos on their website, that was deemed to be infringing even though it was technically put up legally?

This gets even worse when you realize whenever you create something, it's automatically copyrighted. Someone could take a picture of you, and have the copyright over it. If you then put that picture online or tried to sell it off to someone else, you could technicaly be sued, what's to stop this from happening with videos on Youtube. If I make a film of a cat playing with a ball of yarn, and someone else posts it, he could then be put into jail for 5 years, for a kitty video. And yes, posting stuff on Youtube can be seen as a commercial use because of the whole Youtube partners thing where the content creators are paid for adding content to Youtube.

Edit: @ Lagann, not which 9 episodes, cause going by how vague it is, it could just be 9 "views" before the next one is a felony.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
what's to stop this from happening with videos on Youtube.

The fact that it's insane and not grounded in reality?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh I hope this dosnt pass it would be a shame that the people in the US can't watch anime

Crunchyroll would like a word with you.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:
what's to stop this from happening with videos on Youtube.

The fact that it's insane and not grounded in reality?

Reality is crazier than fiction, sadly. Just look at the whole hot coffee incident with McDonalds...remember, just because they're sueing you it doesn't make them right, but some people will settle cause of the expensive fees, which depending on the settlement could still make them "guilty" of a crime they didn't commit. It's not that farfetched that people will try what I've just said when people are being thrown in jail for less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5