• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Neon Babble

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
For next week's article, do you think you could feature The Chainsaw Incident and Amplitude Kickstarters? Both of these games are seriously in need of more funds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/origo/the-chainsaw-incident-a-dark-fantasy-fighting-game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harmonix/amplitude
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Super excited to play Amplitude and/or listen to the soundtrack.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Nooo! You forgot to mention Hamonix's Amplitude Kickstarter, as linked above! I adored this game on PS2 so it was a must for me! It just has to get funded, it must!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm in for $20 on Amplitude, but with only 1/3 raised and 9 days to go, it's not looking good.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Shiness:

Quote:
Perhaps it's just the thing for the RPG fan weary of seeing hyooman characters getting all of the attention.

Personally, I like it when RPGs mix it up with human and nonhuman allies. I'm okay with ones where the whole cast is human if there are no other races living in the prescribed world of the game. However, if there are other sentient races like beastmen or half-giants or something, then it's a waste to not use each of them as playables. FFXII is a past example of squandering that sort of opportunity (no, one Viera traveling with a party of humans does not make for a diverse cast, Square; try again). With a member of each race in the team, it does open up the chance to understand each culture's differing viewpoints on various matters.

Mugen Souls Z: Though I'm generally against censorship, I couldn't care less about the removed bathing minigame, as it doesn't affect the gameplay you're supposed to be focusing on, and I won't say anymore than that. On the subject of gameplay, does this game and its predecessor play like Trinity Universe where you concentrate primarily on team attacks and crafting gear?

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed May 14, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanC

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I really hope SCEE don't change the PS3 case colours.

Already annoyed me with the change in logos...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I really hope SCEE don't change the PS3 case colours.

Already annoyed me with the change in logos...

They are. The new cases will be blue to fall in line with PS4/Vita cases.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Are fans really, legitimately mad about NISA denying them the right to soaped-up anime girls? Is that the world we live in today?

Unfortunately, it is, Todd. Some folks really are that bent out of shape over a naughty little minigame. I don't get it either.
I could give an explanation it, but given the way it's been characterized, it's clear neither of you want to listen to one.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I could give an explanation it, but given the way it's been characterized, it's clear neither of you want to listen to one.

Go ahead. I don't know all the details so enlighten me if I'm missing something here (I haven't played Mugen Souls, so I've only heard things by word of mouth). As I said, I don't care much for the minigame's removal, but if there's a crucial reason it's in the game then I'd be happy to listen.

By the way, don't automatically assume things about someone from just one post. I'm open-minded enough to listen to an explanation.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
And yet I bet if Rockstar decided to remove killing civilians in GTA6 people would be really, legitimately mad about that. Is that the world we live in today? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
You seem to have forgotten an obvious Japanese game franchise which would not exist without Giger. Cool
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

By the way, don't automatically assume things about someone from just one post. I'm open-minded enough to listen to an explanation.
Except you've already explained that my objection is about wanting to play a minigame with sexualized young girls. So no, not open-minded.

I played a couple seconds of Mugen souls before quitting, so it has nothing to do with the details here. The problem is that NISA (in conjunction with the broader culture of the country) is making decisions of taste for me. Considering that the particular example is so buried in a uniquely Japanese take on what appropriate is, giving it American standards breaks the whole reason I have an interest in these weird Japanese games. I'm not necessarily saying NISA is making the wrong decision here, considering the societal context in which it operates, but I should be able to complain about the end result, and what it means for the industry in the future, without.being labeled as someone who desperately wants to see naked little girls.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I am legitimately very interested in playing Drakengard 3 next week. I'm a huge fan of the series even before Nier(which is pretty bad) gave the series hipster cred.

I've been pretty cautious about the game because I really dislike the way Zero looks and the fact that it isn't a continuation of two and seems to be loosely related to the previous games stories. Also, it looked pretty bad in the graphics department. Still, I've avoided most spoilers and I really want to see how it turns out. I never thought there would actually be a third game.

As for Mugen Souls Z. I hate it. I think it's disgusting crap and the people like it are creeps and I want nothing to do with it. I'm not going to buy it and I'll just ignore it and it's fans. Should, they have taken out the minigame? Hard to say. I don't think we should have material that sexes up minors or anything that is clearly meant to be minors. More so, I don't want that kind of material. It dosen't hurt anybody as far as we know though, yet I don't think we should even humor the idea of sexualised minors. It's just not a place society should go. I'm sure some idiot will try to pull the "but what about violence" equation, forgetting that the two things are extremely separate and different things. Over millions of years people have created a widely divergent view of violence. Violence that is not real is in most people view not real. We are decentralized, but those who can't separate the two shouldn't be exposed to violent material.

Sex is a completely different matter then violence. Me looking for certain sexual things reflects far more about me then me playing GTA.

Either way, I don't know who that mini game would effect. I just know I'm not comfortable as a human being and a fan of Japanese games with that kind of thing. If people want to enjoy that stuff, then I guess they can. I just don't want to be associated with them. I can see no other reason why someone would want to see sexualised ideas of young girls who's entire point is supposed to be arousing. Clearly they are interested in young girls because what other purpose does it serve? Is that wrong? I don't know, I don't really care, because I'm sure not open to the idea of it being ok.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't care if Mugen Souls Z had it's creepy minigame or not. I'm not interested in it almost on principal of what it is. I think NIS is in the right cutting it, because I think we are better off without stuff like that. Who am I to judge though? No one really and thats really what it comes down to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Except you've already explained that my objection is about wanting to play a minigame with sexualized young girls. So no, not open-minded.

I played a couple seconds of Mugen souls before quitting, so it has nothing to do with the details here. The problem is that NISA (in conjunction with the broader culture of the country) is making decisions of taste for me. Considering that the particular example is so buried in a uniquely Japanese take on what appropriate is, giving it American standards breaks the whole reason I have an interest in these weird Japanese games. I'm not necessarily saying NISA is making the wrong decision here, considering the societal context in which it operates, but I should be able to complain about the end result, and what it means for the industry in the future, without.being labeled as someone who desperately wants to see naked little girls.

Uh yeah I am. You make no sense. If I wasn't open-minded, I wouldn't have even considered reading your explanation, would I?

So the minigame doesn't affect anything like parameters or abilities or character affection? It's just a cosmetic side activity? That's about what I heard for Mugen Souls on a few reviews and people just wrote it off as "typical Japanese sexual weirdness" being removed for the U.S. version. So again, I don't really care much for its removal and it's not like it causes the whole game to be unplayable or makes the game unable to be completed. I play RPGs for the battles and their stories. Minigames have always been a minor thing to me as I don't really utilize them, so it's no grand loss personally.

Of course, you're entitled to complain about its removal if you want to. I get the point you're making. It's just the U.S. has always treated certain content in media differently than the rest of the world. I don't think that fact is ever going to change about this nation.

That reminds me, someone linked a video on YouTube for the minigame where the player could stick banana icons anywhere they wanted...and the player in question really went to town with that one. The final result was quite ridiculous. XD
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Same-sex unions were possible in the Japanese version due to a bug

I wouldn't say this is very accurate. Crossdressing was possible due to a bug. So you could have a guy in a dress and a girl in a dress get married, or a girl in pants and a guy in pants. But it was still cross-gender.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3