• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Fencer F Slated for N. America, Europe in September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Ah, Tsunako's beautiful art. And its shipping on my birthday. Want this.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
Good luck, it only did ok in Japan.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
^Reviews or sales wise?
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Japan, luckily, doesn't really have a review scene so reviews are pretty irrelevant to talk about.

Sales wise it actually did above average for a Compile Heart game, which is pretty impressive actually. Especially for an original IP.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

^Reviews or sales wise?

Both. J-gamers think it's just OK, and it did about 50k sales, even though it's supposed to be a "Galapagos" game that's specifically even more geared towards them. Too bad too, I like Amano and Uematsu.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Both. J-gamers think it's just OK, and it did about 50k sales, even though it's supposed to be a "Galapagos" game that's specifically even more geared towards them. Too bad too, I like Amano and Uematsu.

Your number is off. The 50000 Limited edition run was sold out at pre-order stage. Another 50000 copies of the normal edition were shipped for the actual launch. Even if only a fraction of those were sold, it would still trump your number...
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Those numbers are actually fairly good. Remember, this isn't American AAA gaming where things need to sell 4 million just to break even. Like with the anime market, some Japanese companies aim for the 20,000-60,000 copies goal line. It's all about appealing to a niche which lets them make the game they want without having to sacrificing anything so it can sell to the most amount of people possible.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Those numbers are actually fairly good. Remember, this isn't American AAA gaming where things need to sell 4 million just to break even. Like with the anime market, some Japanese companies aim for the 20,000-60,000 copies goal line. It's all about appealing to a niche which lets them make the game they want without having to sacrificing anything so it can sell to the most amount of people possible.

i think the normal edition sold around 70k total over its life time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Your number is off. The 50000 Limited edition run was sold out at pre-order stage. Another 50000 copies of the normal edition were shipped for the actual launch. Even if only a fraction of those were sold, it would still trump your number...

Cite to that? Since according to ANN: Japan's Video Game Rankings, October 14-20, 2013:
Fairy Fencer F (Including Limited Editions) -- Compile Heart -- October 10 -- 6,167 (Week 2) -- 46,833 (Total)

Also, as previously mentioned, it's supposed to be a Galapagos title, so expectations for it were higher, especially with Amano and Uematsu together. Yet now, it's like a forgotten title that people don't appreciate enough. My J-friends hardly talk about it, like come and gone, not much hope it'd be turned into a franchise. Also, as a Galapagos title, we didn't have high hopes it'd be released in the West, but good luck on them all the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1