• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monthly Ikki Magazine Suspends Publication

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Sad to hear this, and hopefully Dorohedoro can find a new home.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
I wonder what could be the reason for this. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
It is a bit odd that a magazine that "... aimed for new and innovative ..." didn't go into digital publication. Maybe they do not want to admit they do not have the will (or the budget) to keep trying.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It is a bit odd that a magazine that "... aimed for new and innovative ..." didn't go into digital publication. Maybe they do not want to admit they do not have the will (or the budget) to keep trying.

Also, the lack of knowhow, when it comes to digital content, Japan lags far behind the US, Taiwan, China, and South Korea.
boznia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
It was always a very niche magazine (only printed around 10,000 copies per issue recently). It had a good run. The future of niche magazines is online, only the heavy hitters will be able to stay in a physical format.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Also, the lack of knowhow, when it comes to digital content, Japan lags far behind the US, Taiwan, China, and South Korea.

That wouldn't surprise me, Japan always lag behind when it comes to adapting new tech.

I mean Japan is actually low tech if you've been there:

BBC News-Revealing Japan's low-tech belly

Japan: high tech image, low tech reality

The Not So High Tech Japan

ELT and Technology in Japan: The vision versus the reality

It does explain why Japan's ICT development ranking dropped.

EDIT: After Thornister's post about Monthly Ikki have webmanga, I'm going to clarify that some manga companies have the know-how on new tech, but Japan still has the digital divide issue. But the part about Japan being low tech is real and it still exist.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thornister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

http://www.ikki-para.com/webcomic/

Something like this? This is sub-magazine but still they have a web publications so. Probably a bunch of unfinished manga will be transferred there.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Thornister wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Something like this? This is sub-magazine but still they have a web publications so. Probably a bunch of unfinished manga will be transferred there.

Oh so they do have online manga!!! OK, I'll put a little disclaimer on my previous statement.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Thornister wrote:

Hopefully, but why they announced they were suspending publication instead of saying they were going digital (like other magazines have announced)?

Hoppy800 wrote:
There's still a lot of fear of technology especially the internet due to security concerns and lack of education on technology available for the older generation.

You nailed it in the head. It is not that there are no capable technicians and web developers in Japan, the problem is that the bosses (the ones that make the decisions) do not know/care/fear the digital revolution and expect to continue doing business as usual (20th century style).

At least that is the only reason I can think why there are services that stream the latest anime (free or for a fee) but the are no (official) services that translate big manga titles for the internet.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

You nailed it in the head. It is not that there are no capable technicians and web developers in Japan, the problem is that the bosses (the ones that make the decisions) do not know/care/fear the digital revolution and expect to continue doing business as usual (20th century style).

At least that is the only reason I can think why there are services that stream the latest anime (free or for a fee) but the are no (official) services that translate big manga titles for the internet.

Yeah I once read several articles about Japan's fear of the internet:

neojaponisme-The fear of the internet

Fear of the internet in Japan

Newsweek-Why Japan Fears Internet Politics
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else getting a One Piece vibe from the wording here?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Well Cassettes are still being used in Japan today, mostly for Enka music which is targetted at older people who may not use the internet.

There's still a lot of fear of technology especially the internet due to security concerns and lack of education on technology available for the older generation.

I've been deeply involved in the Tech Industry for the last 25 years, much of it on the bleeding edge. Have Streaming / Tablet / Smart Phone / PC / High Speed Internet out the "Wazoo".

However ... I've been buying classic analog audio equipment for the past year & a half. I've been able to acquire machines that I only dreamed of in my teen years, for pennies on the dollar or even for free. And yes that includes 4 cassette decks of varying vintage & quality. There are some small studios now that are putting out cassette music here in the U. S. as well as a resurgent Vinyl Record business.

I can understand Japanese reluctance to embrace parts of current tech, personal & public data security worries me too. But when it comes to a publication like Ikki they really should have seen the writing on the wall and made the changes needed.

Sorry to see them go.

Mark Gosdin
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
As someone previously said, while most companies are still extremely old fashioned, plenty are slowly but surely stepping foot into the digital world.

For example, Morning are currently putting certain titles online here, if only in a limited manner. Some of the titles being put online include Moyasimon + What Did You Eat Yesterday? + that new comic from the Gantz dude

Personally, my favourite is 2DK from the ever excellent Sachiko Takeuchi ♥
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Is this going to mean Viz's Dorohedoro release will get canceled? I sure hope not. Sad
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It may be suspended, but Im going to listen to this song as I read the article

http://youtu.be/05p646nlYS0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2