• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 28-August 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty low for JJBA considering this is the arc everyone actually cares for.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It will probably be enough for part 4 adaptation and I am guessing 50 episodes scared off potential buyers.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It will probably be enough for part 4 adaptation and I am guessing 50 episodes scared off potential buyers.

most likely.
some people will buy every set, and some people will buy the set with their favourite fight in it.(meaning the last set will probably sell quite a lot)

also, not on topic, but Twin Peaks ftw!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
JoJo is 7k down on S1v1(Wk1) and only 1k down on the last volume of wk1 of the last volume. So it could have been worse.

All 52 episodes will most likely cost close to 1000$, so its not surprising it went down.

Detrimont wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

most likely.
some people will buy every set, and some people will buy the set with their favourite fight in it.(meaning the last set will probably sell quite a lot)

Looking at disc sales of other shows, that will not happen. Unless the show bundles some nice extras(i.e an event ticket), the later volumes will not outsell the earlier volumes purely based on the content.

You do get some very rare cases such as KKK, but that show sold below 1k in the first place(v1 : 550 -> v2 : 779) .
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Little Busters! Refrain is still coming out? I thought they had moved on to Ex at this point.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Little Busters! Refrain is still coming out? I thought they had moved on to Ex at this point.

Ex is bundled with refrain.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
My god, Zoids...I remember that show.
abby_enoN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
LET IT GO~
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Still not to bad for a single blu-ray though i'm curious how much the actual first blu-ray set is gonna sell.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Still not to bad for a single blu-ray though i'm curious how much the actual first blu-ray set is gonna sell.

BD sets sell less and are cheaper, so I would not really put that much importance on it compared to the first release.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Nice to see NGNL and Jojo doing pretty well. Hope the sales end up being good enough for another season.
Dellore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
JoJo is 7k down on S1v1(Wk1) and only 1k down on the last volume of wk1 of the last volume. So it could have been worse.

All 52 episodes will most likely cost close to 1000$, so its not surprising it went down.

Detrimont wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

most likely.

Looking at disc sales of other shows, that will not happen. Unless the show bundles some nice extras(i.e an event ticket), the later volumes will not outsell the earlier volumes purely based on the content.

You do get some very rare cases such as KKK, but that show sold below 1k in the first place(v1 : 550 -> v2 : 779) .

Yeah, I don't think that's how it works with anime. People are always expecting the most famous parts to sell better, same with BT and now with SC, but you are mostly dealing with a new public that doesn't care about that. You have the fans, yes, but they aren't a group so big as people expect they to be.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
First season of JJBA had English subs (at least on the Blu-rays), but S2 apparently doesn't. That + the promotional dub of the 1st 3 episodes leads me to believe they're trying to shop the series around to potential licensors.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Moreso Part 5 in Japan. Part 3 has been the most commercialized worldwide and thus, most popular on a global scale, but as for concentrations in hemispheres and countries and such, the West seems to like Parts 2, 3 and I suppose 7 with Part 4 gaining some popularity as well, especially among more objective and critical viewers as 4 is arguably one of the most sharply written Parts I'd say while again, Japan likes Part 5 and then 3 a little less. Still it is just below Frozen on the charts which happens to have a sales phenomenon in Japan, so Jojo might as well be first, and heck, this is only week 1, so I'm sure things will shape up if they aren't already doing well (not sure of how to gauge sales).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I was also surprised by the sales of the 1st volume of the insanely popular Part 3 *at least compared to the other parts*

My fav ones are 4, 2 & 7 and I've yet to read Jojolion. Frankly I can't wait for Part 3 to be over (which, to be honest, has been the best adaptation so far) so we move on to the 4th one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2