• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Reconguista in G (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote

Gundam Reconguista in G (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha, real robot

Plot Summary: The Universal Century, with its history of colonization and wars, passes into posterity, and time flows on.

Mankind enters a new age of seemingly endless peace and prosperity called the "Regild Century".

The year is R.C. 1014. The Capital Tower, an orbital elevator, connects earth and space. Due to its role in supplying Earth's power by transferring Photon Batteries from space, it is worshiped with a religious fervor. Bellri Zenam, a cadet in the Capital Guard formed to protect Capital Tower, is participating in his first non-simulated exercise when he is attacked by the powerful but unaffiliated "G-Self" mobile suit. He manages to capture the G-Self while piloting a "Recten" maintenance mobile suit. However, seeing the G-Self's pilot, a young space pirate named Aida Rayhunton, stirs something within him, as does the G-Self which he was sure he'd never seen before. Why does the G-Self accept Bellri as a pilot?

Aida's mission to attack Capital Tower. Bellri's destiny as a chosen pilot of the G-Self. The truth which will shake the Regild Century.

It was all the beginning of the Reconguista.
----------------------------------

The anime will be streaming at a Tokyo Event this week and it looks fairly decent imo. It's directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino and with character designs by Eureka Seven's Kenichi Yoshida hence a similarity. The PV offers promise as well so I'm hoping it will live up to the game.

I really like the establishment of the premise too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Not feeling too enthralled by the Gundam designs, gaudy looking.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
I'm more bothered by the character designs. They look too Eureka 7-ish and a bit too cartoony looking. I didn't care too much for the 10 minute preview either. The pacing felt way too fast as one thing after another happened in quick succession with very little room to breathe. Though that did make it feel like an authentic Tomino UC series.

Not that hyped for this... All the hype is for Build Fighters.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Looks like every other decent-budget mecha series of the past few years.

In other words, it looks generic and boring. I'll check it out of course, but I already have a gut feeling that I won't be a big fan.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not that hyped for this... All the hype is for Build Fighters.

From what I have heard a lot of mecha animators that were working Build Fighters have now moved to work on Reconguista, so I lowered my expectations.
I seem to be the only one who liked 10 minutes of first episode, oh well what you gotta do.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
I managed to see the first three episodes, and really enjoyed them, despite picking up only about 30% or so of the actual dialog. It has this great sort of energy about it that makes it a blast to watch, and while it's just as Happy-Tomino as Turn-A, these episodes certainly had much more conventional pacing. The plot has good forward momentum so far, but strikes its balance in a way that things don't feel rushed. I'm really looking forward to see more! Some thoughts behind the spoiler bars:

[Characters]
spoiler[-There's a pretty heavy focus on character, so it's good that that's something I absolutely love. Not that there isn't plenty of mecha action to be had (there's a major battle in all three episodes) but it never takes up the bulk of the screentime - I'd estimate about a third at most. The rest is dedicated to the people in the show, so it's a good thing they're pretty great people to spend time around. Character chemistry is something that these episodes do really well in general, and it really sells the various bonds between them, be they student friendships (Bellri, Luin, Noredo, Manny, etc) or military chain of command (Dellensar and Kerbes).

-Bellri is fun in a way we haven't seen in some time, maybe not since Garrod, and he has great chemistry with Noredo (which kinda makes me disappointed that she's not the main love interest) and Luin (who seems like a super swell guy, despite being Kuntala, something that's brought up casually a couple times in the episodes but never elaborated much on). He's got this weird little quirk where he's always licking his lips - not in an obnoxious serial killer sort of way, and it's only like a split second of animation, but it's obviously meant to be a trait. Klim Nick, on the other hand, is exactly as obnoxious as his character design made him seem to me, and definitely isn't a favorite so far.

-Noredo and Manny both get a fair amount of screentime, and are really fun to watch together. They're a great argument for Tomino writing strong women. Less great in that regard is Aida, who often comes off as more stereotypically weak; this struck me as odd, since a Gundam Ace interview had a whole discussion about her as a Strong Female Lead and Tomino really supported that read of her. Presumably she'll develop as the show goes on. Also a bit off-putting is Raraiya - I know she's supposed to have amnesia, but she's so awkward to watch do basically anything, and it makes me wonder if there's more than the amnesia making her act like that.

-There are lots of other people introduced, mostly on the Capital side of things. We get to meet their king and an older military leader who comes off as kinda shady. Clearly we're getting the requisite politics with this Gundam. I was surprised that Cahill Saint died so quickly, though - he seemed like a guy that would stick around for a bit, like a counterpart to Dellensen Samatar.]

[Plot]
spoiler[-This was the hardest to get a read on, my Japanese ability being what it is, though as I mentioned above it's at least paced well enough that I never lost interest in watching. It has a very atypical start for a Gundam show, mostly focused around the capture of the G-Self and various attempts to snatch it back (first by the space pirates, then by Amerian forces). Bellri never "falls into the cockpit", although the point that he can mysteriously activate the G-Self is brought up (and interestingly, it seems to identify him as Aida). He hasn't actually taken it out alone yet though - Aida's always been in the cockpit with him.

-On that note, one thing that bugs me is how passive Aida seems about cooperating with the Capital Forces - she never gets proactive in stealing her machine back, despite regularly being in its cockpit even after capture and during rescue attempts by her own forces. She doesn't even try to overpower Bellri in these situations. Maybe the show gives her adequate reason not to and I just missed it, but it seemed kinda weird and took me out of the show a bit.]

[Mecha & Technology]
spoiler[-Seeing the mecha in action caused them all to grow on me (except maybe the Grimoire, which I was already 100% sold on), though some more than others - the Recten still comes across a bit like a cheap child's Lights-n-Sounds robot toy, though it gets its moment in the sun in the first episode. I may not like its pilot much, but the Montero and its beam whip was plenty cool, and the G-Self's bug-eyed curves make a strong showing across all three episodes.

-There are these weird bipedal bird-legged transport mini mecha used by several characters in the second episode, and they really stood out to me (possibly because I hadn't seen anything about them before watching the episode). I've never seen anything like them and everybody in the show just reacts like it's the most normal thing in the world to see people stroll in on them.

-We get our first UC mecha cameos as early as episode 2 - a Capital hangar houses life-size stone statues of various Zeon MS, including the Zaku and Dom and a bunch of others. Minovsky Particles are also mentioned fairly frequently - clearly not everything from the UC era is lost.]

[Visuals and Sound]
spoiler[-Technically, the series is also very good; though I'll admit to not having much of a super technical eye for things like animation, it still all felt smooth and consistent and vibrant, something I hope the show can keep up once we move beyond the episodes prepared for theatrical release. There's a solid attention to detail as well, including the G-Self's shield getting progressively more battle damaged as time goes on. Battle effects tend to look really neat too.

-The score is also nice, and contributes to the generally upbeat atmosphere of the show. Tomino's decision to stick to established voice talent really paid off as well, and is probably a big reason why the characters in the show stand out so much.]

So, yeah, good stuff. Can't wait to see more!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-2:

Well that did meet my expectations although the first episode didn't impress me too much. The second episode had a very fast pacing as well but I liked the direction of it so far. There are a lot of questions still but I think the show has enough time to answer them considering that it is a 2-cour.

One thing I'm curious is this spoiler[Iris power that was briefly mentioned in the second episode. Apparently, that Aida girl and Bellri both have it? Also, it seems there are conflicts already between factions. Given the way this series is constructed, I hope there will be decent world building as well. I am very interested to see how this show's technology and its mechanics being explained soon.]

The action was overall decent and has this old-schoolish feeling to it. I think Tomino did a good job here with what it set up so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Christ those Renton faces are ugly, almost as bad as Hisai face. As for the show, I still have little clue to what's going on but it feels like I'm watching F-91 all over again. There's gotta be a happy medium within Tomino between this frantic manic stuff and Brain Powerd, the jumps and cuts are just insane.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think I spent most of the first episode thinking "Are you serious? This was supposedly the 'good stuff'?" People are shouting out random pieces of exposition for literally no reason, folks are talking about things they had no opportunity to find out about, and mechs awkwardly beat each other up like no one has invented the 90s yet, centered around some idiot ready to betray his people because he sprung a boner for some stranger with starched hair. At the end of the day, I think I'm just feeling the lack of connection that anyone feels while watching someone else's nostalgia.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
My first impression upon seeing this was "These characters look like Dominic and Anemone." Sure enough, it's the same character designer as Eureka 7.

I'm assuming Aida isn't as crazy as Anemone, but is Bellri straitlaced?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
The animation style is fine... when it is on model, a good chunk of the in between shots look noticeably bad and look like a low budget series from the early 00s.

The "world" concept looks cool and the characters are par for course so far.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Decided to watch episode 1 on a whim.
Gundam 00 was the first I've watched & the ones that followed did not peak my interest.
So far I like what I'm seeing.
Reminds me of older anime style.
Newbies doing training.
That Bellri caught my eye. He seems very capable.
But skipping it..
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
how do you fit all those hair into the space helmet.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
how do you fit all those hair into the space helmet.

And this my friends is the 64 000 $ question. How the hell does a woman manage to get into a spacesuit. I eagerly await for an answer. Laughing
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
I kind of like it. They've clearly gone for a deliberately retro style, and I think it's kind of fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4