• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kantai Collection's DMM Turns Construction Vehicles, Tools Into Girls for Next Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
This is the second social title announced this year, DMM are on a roll, hopefully it will be ported to vita same with Oshiro Collection. NND won't be able to handle the TGS flood if there is a Kancolle stream, expect server madness for those who want to watch the stream if it happens.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
How long until Bucket-wheel Excavator-sama?
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
ugh. Those designs. I suppose they don't look as samey as kancolle.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Monkey Wrench is best girl.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
As someone who loves gijinka I'm always almost offended at how lazy the Kancolle character designs are, and that continues here. A good gijinka should be more than just a fetish outfit with bits of machinery hovering around her.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This will allow MANkoto to finally plow machines.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
http://www.dmm.com/netgame/feature/oletower.html
Quote:
This page is not available in your area

Confused DMM's competitor, dlsite, allows full access to everything. Anyways, I can get around the geoblock with a proxy.

And it's strange, I can't find any Kancolle ero-doujin on DMM. Only a few regular manga show up. Maybe I'm searching wrong but I wonder if this is due to (an ironic) policy
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
As someone who loves gijinka I'm always almost offended at how lazy the Kancolle character designs are, and that continues here. A good gijinka should be more than just a fetish outfit with bits of machinery hovering around her.

Seconded, I wish the character designers incorporated more into the actual characters. The hovering equipment struck me as a bit lazy. I'm kind of hoping they'll announce a gender-flipped game or version at some point, all though I'm not sure how popular it'd be.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
how I wish I could play that game.. Laughing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
I like crawler crane-chan and mini excavator-chan (am I saying it right?). Fan-chan (hey, she rhymes!) also looks powerful. All it needs is a character designed by Humikane Shimada and I'll be happy.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
In Japan, EVERYTHING must be kawaii and moe. EVERYTHING.

The hammer girl looks like she could be a character in some blacksmithing video game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Anthropomorphized moe girls are a dime a dozen in Japan. What helped KanColle stand out was its nationalism sentiment that Japanese could feel attached to their historical ships. Without that to construction vehicles........
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I think their pushing their limit on what they can do. Anthropomorphized construction vehicle girls? REALLY?

Why even bother, just show pictures of pretty anime girls all the time.
Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

Out of IDEAS is what this spells out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Anthropomorphized moe girls are a dime a dozen in Japan. What helped KanColle stand out was its nationalism sentiment that Japanese could feel attached to their historical ships. Without that to construction vehicles........

It also helps that ships can be viewed as individuals because they're given names and there's relatively few of them. It's pretty much only in the classes with large numbers like subs where they're relegated to numbers, but they're still not generalized tools.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It also helps that ships can be viewed as individuals because they're given names and there's relatively few of them. It's pretty much only in the classes with large numbers like subs where they're relegated to numbers, but they're still not generalized tools.

Er, subs are about the smallest class in the game. And people just call them by their nicknames (like Shioi and Gouya) anyway. On the other hand, there are about 50 destroyers at this point.

In any case, I don't think nationalism is a major factor. The game has a decent sized base of foreign players, especially considering the hoops one has to jump through to play it. And obviously the nationalism doesn't apply to us. So it clearly has some significant appeal beyond that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2