• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Acquires Good Luck Girl and Ben-To

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Blu-ray only bout bloody time.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm not interested in buying either of these anime because they aren't really my cup of tea, but I feel sorry for those who only buy DVDs (Like me!).

It's interesting that we're getting blu-ray only anime titles in the UK (which I can't recall ever happening before) as it is very unusual. However, I'm now concerned that anime I like and would like to own will also be blu-ray only which is a problem for me as I do not own a blu-ray player. I would prefer not to spend the little money I have (I'm a student) on a player just for one or two anime when the rest of my anime are on DVD. It would just take up space I don't have and end up gathering dust or I'd be forced to switch to blu-rays which are typically more expensive.
mr-young

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Epicrevenge you know, you can play DVDs on a blu-ray player. If you look around you can buy one for around £50
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hell you can get blu-ray drives for less than £50 if your PC can play HD rips it can do BD.
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It's probably a licenser decision. Maybe they are worried about reverse importing of the DVDs?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
I iwsh they would of kept the real name for the UK release, I still call it Binbō-gami ga!.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
It's probably a licenser decision. Maybe they are worried about reverse importing of the DVDs?

It is almost certainly because they can clone the existing BD masters for the show, but no PAL DVD masters exist so they would have to make their own (and before you ask, their parent company won't allow them to release NTSC discs for some reason).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
IanC wrote:

It is almost certainly because they can clone the existing BD masters for the show, but no PAL DVD masters exist so they would have to make their own (and before you ask, their parent company won't allow them to release NTSC discs for some reason).

Thats bizarre. I've seen other big name companies release NTSC discs (Fox do for the likes of Family Guy and American Dad now). Weird.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
They investigated NTSC discs and "hit a brick wall". They later made clear it was not due to anything on the Japan side for a change and I think it was pretty explicitly stated on a podcast that it was from up the corporate ladder over here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1