• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rolling Girls (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote

The Rolling Girls (TV)

Genre:
Themes:

Plot Summary: 10 years after the Great Tokyo War, each prefectures in Japan had split up into independent nations. Each nations are ruled by a prophet called "Mosa" and an army called "Mob" as they start to compete to take over other countries. Four "Mob" girls from the Saitama clan, Nozomi, Yukina, Ai, Chiaya are ordered by their “Mosa” to travel around Japan riding their motor cycles to mediate multiple battles between nations and clans as they emerge.
----------------------------------

One of the four series that Wit Studio will be working on. The premise sounds quite interesting imo but it's the second preview that caught my attention. Really made go wow for a moment.

I can't wait to see some of the action from this as it's something I found it appealing so far from what's shown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow, that was better than I had expected. spoiler[The gimmicks reminds me of Zvezda but on most parts was fairly good with the action. Really liked the way the bikes were illustrated as well although I can't say the same for their eyes lol]

Good action and fast paced so far. Yeah, this definitely has potential. I hope Wit Studio and the director can pull it off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Great visual and I really like the basic setup, it has lots of stuff I really wanted to see an anime try. But sadly it has no substance at this point, hopefully because the episode was mostly (terribly written) exposition, we didn't really understand most of the stuff they talked about so they could have as well not talk about it and instead have more spent more time on either interesting fight or good joke or setting possible drama.

Also hugely disappointed they make a character (who may actually be the main character) and flat out start by telling us she's extremely average… Has anyone ever watched a show and thought a character was great because of how average he/she was? She's not even an audience insert character. Oh well, I'm pretty sure it could turn into something really good once it get pass the exposition, hopefully they'll focus on flashy fight (like say spend 50-70% of the time on it) rather than gush about how average there character are.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Makes me think of a mix of Kill la Kill, Zvezda, and Yozakura Quartet. There is some serious stuff in there, but I actually liked some of the silly aspects like that they just spoiler[went onto the bus they did not know about and not realise all the enemies].
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Still trying to work out what shows to watch this season after so many ended last month. After reading the plot summary here I thought it looked interesting enough to give it a go.

The first impressions were extremely positive and I thought we could have another Kill la Kill on our hands here. The action was exciting and the colour pallet vivid, even the characters were intriguing.

The only problem I had was not knowing what the hell was going on. The "best" and the "rest" was a pretty fun idea but the whole plot washed over my head. If the show was to take a step backwards and allow us to become involved at a slightly slower pace, I think it would benefit highly.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I can see the KLK comparisons because of the over the top fight sequences (which I enjoyed).

I was surprised by how much I liked the first episode. The exposition could have been handled better, but I think that the show has potential to be something I'll enjoy.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
The only problem I had was not knowing what the hell was going on.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this first episode, much more than I was expecting to, but this was basically my main problem as well. I'm hoping it was just a case of them trying to have a first episode that says "Look how cool everything is! You want to watch more of this cool stuff, don't you?", and that now that they've hooked us with the "cool factor", the next episode will slow down a bit and give us a bit more explanation.

But it was entertaining enough that, if the rest of the episodes are like the first, even if I never understand what's going on, I think I'll still watch and enjoy it anyway. Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this show is all over the place spoiler[but I just love the energy of it. Starting with the wild roller coast ride from this episode to the fight that the green hero girl put on, this show can really get you pumped up.]

And also for some reason, I find the OP song of the series to be cute.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
So this is actually a cute girl doing cute things… on motorcycle?!

I dunno, maybe if the lead wasn't so weak. Let say replace her by her sister, blond chick by crazy girl with safety pin and blue hair chick by crocodile head, maybe that could be interesting. But as it is, we have a character whose two sole characteristic are being average and having a cool (if a bit stupid) sister. A girl who wear a breathing mask. One who… doesn't show much emotion I guess? And one who go around in bikini and somehow get kicked out of the evil gang. Whoho...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I loved the second episode, and am as perplexed by anyone as to the status quo set up in the final scenes (along with the opening), but it's earned some time to clear all that up. I'm definitely going to see where they intend to go with this one, and hope that it does not just sit back on its heels after such crazy first episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am guessing this will be a coming of age story, spoiler[Masami is out of commission, and our lead and the other girls will get their own stones to be heroes]. She will spoiler[move up from being average to being a best].

A number of wonderful parts in the episode, was fluid, lots of colour, and a lot of things happen. I think one particular part I liked as a joke was that spoiler[most of them admitted to already knowing she was Macha Green because it was obvious]. It was not even needed to spoiler[say that a character looked into it.]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm kind of finding it refreshing that spoiler[Nozomi is completely average. I really don't mind a coming of age show, but a part of me just wants her to stay as "the rest".]

The fight scenes are fantastic, it's like Kill la Kill smashing it's way through a paint shop, breaking every damn thing in it. The colour palette is so vivid and a absolute treat for the senses.

I did find it highly ironic that they were spoiler[panicking about falling to their deaths as they always get blown around when the bests fight.] Looking forward to the next episode, I just hope the rest of them can deliver.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Episode 2

I'm kind of finding it refreshing that spoiler[Nozomi is completely average. I really don't mind a coming of age show, but a part of me just wants her to stay as "the rest".]

Meh If I have to choose between a story where over the course of the show you get either:

1) Boring character -> interesting character

Or

2) Interesting character -> interesting character

I know what I'll choose, she doesn't have to become a best (in fact I'd rather she didn't, nothing worse than a boring character fight, where I start to root for the bad guys since that would means the boring character would "leave" the show Twisted Evil )
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This show is tons of fun. That is all.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so spoiler[Maccha Green and that other Best girl are out of commission. I wonder if this will last the whole series, or if they'll recover before the end?]

At the moment my guess is that Chiaya spoiler[is a forgotten childhood friend of the other three.]

For the most part though, I'm just enjoying the fun ride that is this show. I fully agree with Shikiari's "Kill la Kill smashing its way through a paint shop" description, very apt. I love these kinds of visuals/color palettes. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3