• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 8-14

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculus20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSS EFP at the top! Saw the movie in theaters this weekend and loved it. It was just too much fun! Really hope the strong sales will bring in a possible TV anime sequel or movie sequel. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
I kind of wish these Japanese stopped rewarding Toei's not-even-trying money-grabbing garbage(aka Crystal) 2.5K is not that much but it's not... dunno, 300 copies, which I think was the average for Flowers of Evil.

Pleasantly surprised to see Legend of Sanctuary doing well. I just watched it on Saturday and it was pretty cool and lots of fun. Hope this bodes well for more Saint Seiya in the future (currently uber-hyped for Soul of Gold)
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I kind of wish these Japanese stopped rewarding Toei's not-even-trying money-grabbing garbage(aka Crystal) 2.5K is not that much but it's not... dunno, 300 copies, which I think was the average for Flowers of Evil.

Oh come on, as bad as Crystal's art and animation can get it's nowhere near Flowers of Evil's rotoscoping mess.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't like Flowers of Evil, I couldn't stand the mopey teenage drama and the rotoscoping, I dropped it by episode 3. I just brought it up because someone mentioned its poor sales on the series review thread. It was a good example of a studio being punished for a bad job (although whether FoE is a bad production is debatable, and I understand it worked damn fine for many people). Bottomline, I just want to see Toei being punished for the crappy mess that Crystal is, because the show is nothing but an insanely cheap and terribly done commercial for the rebooted overpriced string of SM merchandise they've been puking out for the last two years or so.
passer by

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
YESSSSSSSS EFP at the top! Saw the movie in theaters this weekend and loved it. It was just too much fun! Really hope the strong sales will bring in a possible TV anime sequel or movie sequel. Very Happy

They shipped 30k total copies, and were sold out in a matter of moments on day one, at first they only planned to shipped 10k total copies. It's a success, and they'll re-stock on December 17~19.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
I'm really not surprised EFP is on top. Personally I think the movie's CG is just terrible and I can't stand it so why these CG animes keep selling is beyond my comprehension.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'm really not surprised EFP is on top. Personally I think the movie's CG is just terrible and I can't stand it so why these CG animes keep selling is beyond my comprehension.

Combination of popular names like Seiji Mizushima who already has some pretty popular movies like Full Metal Alchemist and Gundam 00 under his belt and is a trusted name for big budget anime films , Gen Urobuchi who is pretty much all the rage with otaku right now when it comes to scriptwriting, and Rie Kugimiya voiced tsundere waifu character for fanservice. Not hard to see why it might be a seller plus CG just seems to be really catching on now with the younger generation that I guess sees camera work being easier to manipulate and it being possible to draw more things happening on the screen more easily as more important than maintaining a steady frame rate and things not dipping into uncanny valley every so often.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or is The Tale of the Princess Kaguya selling rather poorly?
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Yes, because it was a theatrical bomb. Takahata's Ghibli movies tend to do poorly, despite their quality level. It only made about 2.5 million USD in Japan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
I am still wondering what makes Frozen so popular in Japan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
passer by wrote:
They shipped 30k total copies, and were sold out in a matter of moments on day one, at first they only planned to shipped 10k total copies. It's a success, and they'll re-stock on December 17~19.

Do you have source on that info? Amazon is showing it as in stock and no shipping delay, and if it's sold out in a matter of moments, then surely Amazon would be out of stock as well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
It's pretty sad that Princess Kaguya has been faring so terribly despite the high-quality production of the show. Perhaps most of Japan just didn't care for it, maybe?
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, Strike Witches love is alive and well it seems!
I bought it, too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
It's pretty sad that Princess Kaguya has been faring so terribly despite the high-quality production of the show. Perhaps most of Japan just didn't care for it, maybe?

Yep, it's not the kind of thing you can blame on otaku like people routinely do with the rest of anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

Combination of popular names like Seiji Mizushima who already has some pretty popular movies like Full Metal Alchemist and Gundam 00 under his belt and is a trusted name for big budget anime films , Gen Urobuchi who is pretty much all the rage with otaku right now when it comes to scriptwriting, and Rie Kugimiya voiced tsundere waifu character for fanservice. Not hard to see why it might be a seller plus CG just seems to be really catching on now with the younger generation that I guess sees camera work being easier to manipulate and it being possible to draw more things happening on the screen more easily as more important than maintaining a steady frame rate and things not dipping into uncanny valley every so often.

People are getting used to CG now.
It's no longer just 2D-or-Pixar3D-or-nothing.
It's like the time when people were getting used to digital ink&paint after the end of traditional cel animation.

DmonHiro wrote:

For a typical Ghibli film, yes. Though it's funny to see it helped "WDS" occupy 4 of the Top 10 that week.

Kadmos1 wrote:

I am still wondering what makes Frozen so popular in Japan.

Cute girls and music. (surprise, surprise Japan)
Here's an interesting comment from the article:

• I am Japanese and I'm very interested in this topic because these products are all famous in Japan recentry. Especally "Frozen" and "Yo-Kai Watch". "Yo-Kai Watch" is the animation which famous especially durling children. It has cute song and we can dance easly. When I heard this song at first time, it stayed my mind whole day!!! I couldn't forget!!! I had sung all day at that time. And "Frozen" is famous all of ages. In Japan, the song "Let it go" which is sung in this movie is coverd by many great singers in Japanese!! This is very rera in our country. I think the song has very simple melody and we can remember easly. That's why "Frozen" is hit all over the world I think.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

It's not only N. Americans who don't appreciate some good Japanese animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2