• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop Streams on Hulu Starting on Friday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop has been milked (not in the traditional sense) to death for years. Am I the only one who's fed up with it? Yeah, I still like it and all, but I feel there are by far much better anime out there.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Cowboy Bebop has been milked (not in the traditional sense) to death for years. Am I the only one who's fed up with it? Yeah, I still like it and all, but I feel there are by far much better anime out there.

No. There really isn't.

And it's not even that milked. 26 episodes, 1 movie, a few soundtracks, a video game or two nobody played, an art book, and... that's about it. Just because it's aired a million times on Cartoon Network doesn't make it milked on the whole, just milked by CN.

DBZ is milked. Fist of the Northstar is milked. Evangelion is milked. Haruhi is somewhat milked. Pokemon, that's milked. Cowboy Bebop? The little seat in front of the bucket is still brand new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is a good anime that deserves to be known by as many people as possible.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Something simply being around for a long time doesn't mean it's being "milked." There's little to no merchandise for the series. Not to point fingers or anything but I find that statement ironic coming from someone with a Pokemon avatar....lol

It's a great series that absolutely deserves endless playback.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Okay, 'milked' is the wrong word, but it is being shoved down our throats constantly.

penguintruth wrote:

No. There really isn't.

Yes, there really is.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Okay, 'milked' is the wrong word, but it is being shoved down our throats constantly.

penguintruth wrote:

No. There really isn't.

Yes, there really is.

I still disagree. It's had a couple releases over the years. The original DVDs, then the remastered remix. The license then switched to funi who is releasing the blu-ray remasters from Japan. Which is par for the course with new licenses. No one is "shoving" anything down your throat. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Other series are on CN, hulu, crunchyroll, boomerang, etc. Bebop just happens to be a staple of Adult Swim since it's inception. Offering it on hulu is also par for the course for almost EVERY anime series today.

Don't whine just to whine. Let people enjoy their specific tastes within the anime community.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Shoved is also the wrong word, since that would imply the public doesn't want it. It would also imply CN was taking up a slot all those years with a show no one wanted to watch and Funimation lcensed a show that won't sell.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Unless the only thing you watch on TV is late night Adult Swim on Saturdays.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Well since more people are watching online, I guess it could help new generation to appreciate a masterpiece anime like Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
bluesheep02 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Something simply being around for a long time doesn't mean it's being "milked." There's little to no merchandise for the series. Not to point fingers or anything but I find that statement ironic coming from someone with a Pokemon avatar....lol

Eh,if it was just "being around" I might agree; but it hasn't just "been around". It's been on TV for nearly 13 years in the US, mostly with little to no break between airings. I'd say that's milking it; aka too much of a "good thing".
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
bluesheep02 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Eh,if it was just "being around" I might agree; but it hasn't just "been around". It's been on TV for nearly 13 years in the US, mostly with little to no break between airings. I'd say that's milking it; aka too much of a "good thing".

If the ratings did not justify a valuable return for the network, it wouldn't still be aired. That's how network stations work. If there was not a viable return for time warner, CN and AS/Toonami, it wouldn't be aired. It's simple supply and demand, a concept that rules network television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1