• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Icons such as "Post new topic" not loading

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Several icons including the following have stopped loading for me in the last 24 hours:

cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/icon_newest_reply.gif

cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/post.gif

cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif

cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_profile.gif

cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif

When I loaded the first of the above images in a new window, I received a Cloudfare message about checking my browser (which is chromium) and then eventually loaded the icon. The other icons loaded in a new browser window, but continued to refuse to load as part of a forum web page.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I got the Cloudflare on your second image rather than the first, and it never redirected me. (been getting the browser check just coming here about twice a day)

For me, Quote, Edit and Profile buttons are all there, but the Send email, Visit poster's website and Send private message buttons are text, and the Reply to message button is not only just text, but it's got a strikethru tag that makes it look like it's not functional, although it works when you click the text.

I didn't look at all your gifs, but if no new posts and locked threads weren't among them, add those too.

And it appears that if you did not click on an emoticon in the sidebar, typing their characters results in only text, like :) ends up as Smile instead of the emoticon. Actually, I just discovered that even some of the emoticons show up as text too.

Aaand a number of pics won't load in articles. If I try to view image in a new page, I get the Cloudflare message that never redirects.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:14 am Reply with quote
Finally caught the message when trying to separately open an image that didn't load:

Checking your browser before accessing animenewsnetwork.com.

This process is automatic. Your browser will redirect to your requested content shortly.
Please allow up to 5 seconds…
DDoS protection by CloudFlare

[end quote]

Pardon me but I hope that we get some kind of explanation and apology from CloudFlare.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
The glitch is annoying but unfortunately unavoidable for now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how that's connected to the strikethrough tag on the reply text (which should be a button anyway).

I'm also unclear as to why some picture links in articles are broken (i.e., they deadend at the Cloudflare page if you try to view them in a new page) and some aren't. As this and non-loading buttons are only happening to me with Firefox (31.0 on a Mac) and not Safari, I'm asking because if it's not a problem for enough people I'm afraid it will be overlooked. If all of this is a Cloudflare problem, why is it not uniform across browsers? (also note above where the OP has different non-loading button icons than I do).

If it helps you figure out what's different about the ones that don't load, for example, in Shelf Life's current article, all the illo pics load except Titan, AKB0048, Sailor Moon and Bebop. In the Gunbuster review, pics 4,5,6, and 9 don't load (Mike's logo is 0). Answerman's top pic doesn't load, but Sunday Without God's illo does.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The glitch is annoying but unfortunately unavoidable for now

Hmm... does that mean that Cloudflare is getting DDOS'd from my ISP's netblocks?
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Finally working again properly for me.

[Edit, could be the result of my ADSL dropping out and getting a new IP address]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Nope, I think they fixed it. I still don't understand the things I didn't understand, but that's ok. Smile
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
@omiya
No, it didn't have anything to do with your IP address.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1