• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unlimited Fafnir (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Unlimited Fafnir (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance

Plot Summary: With the sudden appearance of the monsters that came to be called Dragons, the world had completely changed. Before long, within the human race supernatural girls with the power of the dragons, called "D," were born. The secret existence of the only male "D," the boy Mononobe Yuu, was forcefully thrown into the school where the girls of "D" gathered—Midgar, where he saw the naked body of one of the students, Iris. Furthermore, meeting his long-lost sister Mitsuki, Yuu seems to have been enrolled into this school...?! "When there's really no other choice, Iris, I will—kill you." "Can I really... believe you?" The curtains open as the "one and only story" about the boy who was supposed to become the strongest assassin and the incompetent girl unfolds—! Unlimited School Battle Action![/quote]
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Oh God, the premise made chuckle. spoiler[Surprisingly enough, the show actually had a serious tone with the first episode. OP song is alright as well. Besides the opening parts, there isn't much fan service either and seems to have a consistent momentum.]

Well, this turned out to be slightly better than expectations. I don't like the MC much yet but Iris is a cutie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Date A Live, Dragonar Academy, Infinite Stratos, Bladedance, Black Bullet, And even some music that gives a similar tone of The Irregular at Magic High School. This show feels as original as it is creative in throwing out various mythology creatures, which what looks like a larger focus on Norse. And lets not forget the lead role for Yoshitsugu Matsuoka who is also doing this season's lead role in Absolute Duo. It is not like similarities automatically mean bad, but I hope it manages to do something interesting.

Give some interesting characters instead clichés. Maybe a not so pandering relationship with his sister.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
Fantasy yes, with abundance of fan service right of the bat.
This looks more like possible harem then just romance.
That and the fact there is only one guy & the rest are girls.
There is some action too, but I'm just not interested enough.
Skipping it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
A main heroine who isn't initially antagonistic towards the main character and actually gets along with him? This show is already head and shoulders above the majority of it's ilk.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe on that very particular point, but only on that particular point.

What was with the "transformation" scenes? I mean, they weren't transformation scenes, they were... temporarily glowing bodies that can be seen clearly through clothes scenes?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Maybe on that very particular point, but only on that particular point.

*Shrug* In a world where everything has been done before, one point is enough.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
A main heroine who isn't initially antagonistic towards the main character and actually gets along with him? This show is already head and shoulders above the majority of it's ilk.

Reminds me of Demon King Daimao. Anyway yay more generic LN harem adaptions Smile. I think there are 4 this season. I like the OP song though. Already downloaded it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I usually can tolerate most harem shows but with several this season I feel that this really... weak and won't offer enough for me to enjoy. It really feels similar to the typical harem and holds so many cliches that every other harem show offers. We have the arrogant oujo-sama type, the younger sister, the klutz, and those are the ones I only bothered counting. This show seems like it wants to be special with its various names of well known lore (Necronomicon, Yggdrasil, etc.) but really it just doesn't seem to differ from other harems beside the concept.

Maybe I'm nagging too much but I'll give it a few more episodes or just skim through the rest of the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Anime, where a headmaster spoiler[being a pervert] can make them more likable. Well that she was a spoiler[loli bodied girl making deals with the protagonist to peek on her "harem"] does help.

Apart from that we also got an overly spoiler[attached loli with a dragon thing going, and yes she has pink hair and horns], bringing Dragonar's Eco to my mind.

Always a fan with comedic timing like when Iris spoiler[tried to ask if she could sit on his lap only for a curt "no" and the music stopping]. I kind of get the feeling that spoiler[Mitsuki and Yuu are not blood siblings], and it is that he has spoiler[lost memories that he has forgotten that and why she says he is acting odd].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm glad some one finally realised that you should use different voice actors when spoiler[some one is hiding their indentity. When Honoka was first introduced I knew she'd be Kili, but when Kili showed up with a different voice I thought maybe not. I still ended up being right but at least it wasn't so obvious.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
It was fairly foreseeable, not too surprising as I had the feeling when spoiler[Honoka was first shown], although I put it in the back of my mind until spoiler[she had a bigger part]. On the upside it may give some interesting depth.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote
I honestly liked this series. Yea it was predictable and seems to be moving in a predetermined path but I still find it enjoyable to watch. I know that its asking too much but I would love to see a second season just finish everything off.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Even into the last episode there are a number of incomplete scenes. They did in general manage to hide some parts that were not finished fairly well. Not that it was a bad ending, I think it ended better than at least another similar show this season. The reason could be that it felt more genuine in that this was a group effort in saving the day rather than leaving everything up to a lead. I think there was also some alright steps to spoiler[humanise some complexity to the series villain, Kili]. I have seen some say that it is spoiler[anticlimactic how it went, but I did not really see it quite as a fight of powers but maybe ideals that he managed to get across a bit].

Not that this series was really that great, it was largely hollow with not much making it special, although I would maybe argue the characters were more interesting than Kantai Collection. Although someone like Iris largely does not feel real. CG looked alright in my opinion for the dragons, and really I think that where dragons were concerned is where they did their best.

I rate it So-so, I did not dislike the show, I actually quite liked it, but there were various places that could have been much better.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I liked it well enough. Definitely gets points for Iris being a total sweetheart rather than yet another violent tsundere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1