• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan Now Available in Kansai Dialect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm sorry what I did just read. Is Kansai region in Japan have a different dialect from the standard Japanese language to warrant a new translation? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Huh, I'm sorry what I did just read. Is Kansai region in Japan have a different dialect from the standard Japanese language to warrant a new translation? Confused

"Nandeyanen".
Yes. If you listen to a anime character who speaks kansai-ben, it sounds really different.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch this Laughing

Kansai dialect

Not a lot of anime with this dialect.

To heart has 1 character using Kansai dialect

the same for Detective Conan (heiji and his girlfriend)

but a series with all of them using Kansai dialect?

Lovely Complex comes to mind anime#7468
lys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, it doesn't actually need a new translation to be understood by Japanese-speakers nationwide, but this is a goofy gimmick to add a slightly different flavour to the dialogue. It would be similar to "translating" a standard-English work into, say, a heavy southern US dialect, or Irish brogue, etc: there might be a few grammatical or regional-word changes, but any native speaker should be able to understand it in either form.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

"Nandeyanen".
Yes. If you listen to a anime character who speaks kansai-ben, it sounds really different.

lys wrote:
mdo7, it doesn't actually need a new translation to be understood by Japanese-speakers nationwide, but this is a goofy gimmick to add a slightly different flavour to the dialogue. It would be similar to "translating" a standard-English work into, say, a heavy southern US dialect, or Irish brogue, etc: there might be a few grammatical or regional-word changes, but any native speaker should be able to understand it in either form.

Well because I don't speak Japanese I wouldn't know but I do get an idea what you mean. That would be like the UK dubbing Doctor Who into this certain East London rhyming slang dialect for people living in the East end/East London.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
How long until it gets translated into bogan English?

'Strewth! This Titan's hotter'n a shearer's armpit!'
'I'll farckin slaughter every one of them carnts'

Hopefully if that ever gets made they can at least make it to the arc where the Shiela Titan first appears.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Of course, if we were to translate this version into English, it might be Southern American or Texan English since this is what they often do when dubbing it into English.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
As a Spanish speaker, I see this as if a show in Mexican-Spanish got translated into Spain-Spanish, or Chilean Spanish into Argentinean Spanish, or anything that has a different accent.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Of course, if we were to translate this version into English, it might be Southern American or Texan English since this is what they often do when dubbing it into English.

Part of me really, really wants to see that. Anime hyper
To be honest, Southern accents always felt like a good choice to me; moving from the North to the South, it was maddening how everyone kind of slurred their words together, or even just plain old came up with new ones! 'Course nowadays, I've been in the South so long I might as well be a Southerner. Razz
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yes, it would be equivalent to the difference between average, school-taught English to a New York accent or a Southern one. When one hears the different accent, even if one doesn't understand the language, it is possible to hear it.

An example to the regular, more neutral Japanese and the Kansei-ben (accent), in which the cities Kyōto, Kōbe and Ōsaka are located

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
So if they translate this into southern English, we can expect to hear lines like "it was on this here day that y'all received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of th' Titans an' were disgraced t'live in these cages we called walls. " or something.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Yes, it would be equivalent to the difference between average, school-taught English to a New York accent or a Southern one. When one hears the different accent, even if one doesn't understand the language, it is possible to hear it.

An example to the regular, more neutral Japanese and the Kansei-ben (accent), in which the cities Kyōto, Kōbe and Ōsaka are located

Thanks for the video, now I get it. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
I DO hope Viz also goes nuts with these, adding not just deep southern, but Australian, South African, Northern English (as in from northern England), Scottish, and Pidgin. They'd all be a riot. Especially if they get new cover variants.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Well, Hunter x Hunter has a character who's a walking Kansai stereotype. I have not seen the more recent anime though, so I don't know if he has the accent (but I'd be astonished if he doesn't).
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Well, Hunter x Hunter has a character who's a walking Kansai stereotype. I have not seen the more recent anime though, so I don't know if he has the accent (but I'd be astonished if he doesn't).

there are various series with 1 or 2 character using Kansai dialect.

I think Yakitate Japan! is another one of those series

but beside Lovely Complex, i don't know any other series with ALL characters speaking in Kansai dialect
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I DO hope Viz also goes nuts with these, adding not just deep southern, but Australian, South African, Northern English (as in from northern England), Scottish, and Pidgin. They'd all be a riot. Especially if they get new cover variants.

You'd actually have to ask Kodansha. And maybe even Funimation as well, if they're up for rerecording an episode or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3