• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
API Bug - Malformed xml output for companies report

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushrbx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

The following request is returning malformed xml:
cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/reports.xml?id=198

As I can see you wanted to merge some of the companies based on location but it's not working. Very Happy

Sorry if this problem has been already reported, but I couldn't find any similar topic.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason you need that particular report through the API? It's just a list of companies that have a blank precision so shouldn't be of any use outside the encyclopedia itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pushrbx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm using it for my database.
The datasheets of animes/mangas are based on the API in my database and also I'd like to store the info of the companies which are relevant to each anime/manga entry. It just gives a good starting structure to update it later with correct data. Basically it would be a skeleton for my database.

Also im too lazy to write an algorithm which gets the studio/company information from the encyclopedia page of the anime/manga and generates the corresponding record in the database based on that.
(parse html, generate model object instance, generate id, add ann id as reference, put it in the db)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I suspect the report was simply created in a way that makes it incompatible with the API. It was something dan threw together for this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pushrbx

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile I figured out that I have to just simply take the credits nodes from each anime/manga report and store those with a temporary entry and later I write another script which will go through on them and populates the db with the missing data. (lxml or beautifulsoup, fetch the corresponding encyclopedia page, and parse it.)

Anyway, its odd that you guys leave something like that in the API. It just confuses the "more serious" devs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1