• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Denki-Gai [Collector's Edition + CD] Sub.Blu-Ray 1+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
The fifth volume sold 350 copies in Japan... I do wonder if they have to break their domestic record to earn any surplus from this? Or rely on Yuki Yuna to cover for this as well?

Honestly, I did like this, one of the shows followed through to the end past Winter. Having read the manga previously, which sometimes gets a bit tedious, I actually liked this adaptation more. But I do sort of understand why it would have limited appeal. If PC is lucky, it might actually appeal here more than it did in Japan. Though I'm not placing any bets...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that pricey, high profile "top shelf" series like Madoka, Kill la Kill, etc. are turning a profit for their publishers, but I wonder about these lesser known, nice-but-not-perfect titles that are being released into the American market. I'm curious to see how they will do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
I really liked this workplace comedy a lot. Kind of repeating myself from the Yuki thread, but I sure hope a more affordable release comes down the Ponycan pipeline in the future because I'd love to own a physical copy of this show.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Denki-Gai was great IMO, and YuYuYu was fantastic... but I don't think they would have sold in the US even at standard prices.
consignia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
I will admit to buying this release, and fair play, it does feel premium. But as much as I liked the show, and I did, I just don't think I justify buying anymore of this release. I bought Yuki Yuna too, but I think I'll finish that and be done with these releases.

I only feel like paying Japanese prices for actual Japanese releases.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
This one was a mystery to me when it was announced as one of PonyCan's premier NA releases. It frankly looked to be one of those second or third round pickups by one of the regular US licensors, not a candidate for a premium release at all. I like workplace comedy and had no trouble paying for NISA's Wagnaria!! premiums.

consignia wrote:
I only feel like paying Japanese prices for actual Japanese releases.

Thank you consignia for the wonderful observation / quote.

Mark Gosdin
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard the Ponycan releases are region free (One big advantage of the Blu-rays being pretty much the same as the Japanese release) but what stopped me from getting this was the lack of a dub. I like the show, but not enough that I'd pay that amount of money re-watch it unless I had a good reason to do it (And an English dub would fit that bill just fine)

But as I said, I do really like the show. The end of last year when this was airing coincided with my graduation from school. As soon as I got out of school I had a sudden desire to watch anime centred around young adults. I actually screwed up pretty badly on my final exams so watching something that wasn't about school for once helped remind me that, contrary to popular belief, life exists after school.

Jokes aside it helped me through a tough time. And I'm kind of glad that I managed to stay optimistic about my future because, like some sort of completely nonsensical plot twist ripped straight out of a bad anime (I think the kids these days are using the term 'asspull' to describe such a situation), I still somehow managed to get exactly where I wanted to be in the end.

So yeah, great show. Comedy is really funny, the non high-school setting is very refreshing and the romance actually progresses beyond dumb jokes (As much as I love Working, I wish they would take notes from the guy who wrote this). So I definitely recommend it.

Whether or not you're willing to pay the admission fee so you can get all the cool little extras I will leave up to you.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I thought was negative about this release was indeed the translation of the booklet ... Which is odd since the subs don't have this issue, and the booklet included in the Yuki Yuna set didn't have this issue either Confused. Really curious as to why they had someone else translate the Denki booklet...

I still think the setting is very interesting, with it being a mock anime/manga store Razz. Character interaction was fluffy and comedic and they all had their own quirks. All in all it's a good SoL. Unlike YukiYuna I had already watched this while it was airing so I knew what I was getting so i'm happy with my purchase.

mgosdin wrote:
This one was a mystery to me when it was announced as one of PonyCan's premier NA releases. It frankly looked to be one of those second or third round pickups by one of the regular US licensors, not a candidate for a premium release at all.

Indeed, other licensors would've never thought about giving this title such a deluxe treatment.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the frequent typos and grammatical errors in their books, you'd think that companies like AoA and Ponycan who charge an arm and a leg for their products could *at least* afford a half-decent translator who speaks English as their first language. Nothing spells "High-Quality Luxury Item" than a product rife with Engrish-y translations. Confused

I mean, heck, does anyone even bother to proofread this stuff? Mad

SouthPacific wrote:
Indeed, other licensors would've never thought about giving this title such a deluxe treatment.

Which in the long run is probably going to end up biting Ponycan in the ass, because there's no way in hell this is gonna make its money back.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Which in the long run is probably going to end up biting Ponycan in the ass, because there's no way in hell this is gonna make its money back.

What's not gonna make its money back? The CE? Since this title didn't get a dub it won't have been nearly as expensive to produce, even with the goodies included.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
What's not gonna make its money back? The CE? Since this title didn't get a dub it won't have been nearly as expensive to produce, even with the goodies included.

Dub or not, at these prices, a quirky little show like Denki-Gai isn't going to sell nearly enough copies to merit the costs of producing it. Hell, it didn't even do that in Japan.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Dub or not, at these prices, a quirky little show like Denki-Gai isn't going to sell nearly enough copies to merit the costs of producing it. Hell, it didn't even do that in Japan.

PonyCan didn't produce the show though, I think you're thinking about Pony Canyon which is the parent company in Japan.

But yeah this show bombed hard. It was a miss for Pony Canyon, but then again they're the company that has shows like AoT & Free! in Japan, so they've got their huge sellers to lean back on in these cases.

And AFAIK Yuki Yuna did pretty good in Japan, and i'm sure it'll do decent for PonyCan. I've seen people from the UK, NL, Belgium and Sweden import the Yuki Yuna CE, so even outside US PonyCan are moving copies Smile.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I liked this show but when it was over I didn't even see myself wanting to own a physical copy even at standard prices.

So when I learned that Ponycan was going to release it themselves and at Aniplex level prices I said to myself I hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

You'd have to be delusional which the Japanese are sometimes to think people are going to pay these high prices when it's not a hit show. Aniplex gets away with it for the most part since it's a top tier show that people really want to own and will or eventually will shell out the money to get it.

I'm betting the subtitle track for the show was fine because they used the crunchyroll subtitles as does Aniplex of America does sometimes. While the booklet with the poor shoddy translation with errors was some low level inexperienced Japanese worker who was in a hurry.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Derpy Guy and the Quiet Girl? Was that a veiled reference to Henneko?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
although there is a heavy implication that women will prefer yaoi over other ero genres

That's entirely supported by the types of stores this show is paying "homage" to. Toranoana in Akihabara has floors "targeted" to otaku (male fans) and fujoshi (female fans), and the otaku floor is all T&A and ... "stuff", and the fujoshi floor is pretty much entirely yaoi. Genshiken also intimated as much with the original series detailing all the "smut" that the guys buy and the female purchases being littered with yaoi in both the original series and the sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3