• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will Viz translate the rest of Steam Detectives?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
some_rotten_kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Vol. 8 ended in somewhat of a cliffhanger.

There is still 3 or 4 vols. left.

I'd hate for Viz to abandon this series when there is so much to
be answered.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Companies don't abandon something, and if they do, there will be a press release about it
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Except Viz does abandon things. I enjoyed the first two volumes of Mobile Police Patlabor, still waiting for the other twenty. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
some_rotten_kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quote
oh please...please...

I love Steam Detectives...

Let them continue..
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:20 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Except Viz does abandon things. I enjoyed the first two volumes of Mobile Police Patlabor, still waiting for the other twenty. Rolling Eyes

*CoughUruseiYatsura*LumHack* Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
some_rotten_kid wrote:

be answered.

Are you sure there's more than 8? I've never seen any listed and most people that were collecting it celebrated when 8 came out since it was the last volume. It wouldn't be the first time Asamiya's done a series with no ending or at least open-ended.

Amazon Japan's no help, they don't even list it in Japanese form, just the 8 Viz volumes.
alice20th

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
some_rotten_kid wrote:

be answered.

Are you sure there's more than 8?

Shouki Tanteidan (Steam Detectives) only had 8 volumes before the series was dropped by Shueisha/Shonen Jump comics.

After that, Asamiya moved the series over to one of the Mediaworks magazines (Gao or Daioh, I don't remember which) under the new title of Shin Shouki Tanteidan (New/True Steam Detectives), and the story continued for four or so volumes afterwards (where, I hear, it didn't actually end there either).

So technically, Viz didn't "abandon" the series in the same way they abandoned Urusei Yatsura or Patlabor back in the late '90s. They actually ran Steam Detectives as far as the title "Steam Detectives" went.

A20

Last edited by alice20th on Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
alice20th wrote:
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
some_rotten_kid wrote:

be answered.

Are you sure there's more than 8?

Shouki Tanteidan (Steam Detectives) only had 8 volumes before the series was dropped by Shueisha/Shonen Jump comics.

After that, Asamiya moved the series over to one of the Mediaworks magazines (Gao or Daioh, I don't remember which) under the new title of Shin Shouki Tanteidan (New/True Steam Detectives), and the story continued for four or so volumes afterwards (where, I hear, it didn't actually end there either).

So technically, Viz didn't "abandon" the series in the same way they abandoned Urusei Yatsura or Patlabor back in the late '90s. They actually ran Steam Detectives as far as the title "Steam Detectives" went.

A20

Ahh, gotcha gotcha, that makes sense. I hadn't heard of the move before (but it was quite some time ago I figure considering how long Viz has been putting it). Their license only covered everything up that move then pretty much. Hopefully it did well enough that they'll pursue the remaining volumes in the other license or someone else will get them.

Thanks for the info!
some_rotten_kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:34 am Reply with quote
echocharlie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:58 am Reply with quote
I actually own the Tankobon's for 1-8 of the original Japanese series published by Jump Comics. So I can confirm that's where that series ends. I didn't know about the continuation, and I'll have to look for them at my local manga shop.
some_rotten_kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Please God... let them continue with Steam Detectives..........
AvrilTronLuKon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
I find the japanesse covers from 9 ,10, 11, 12 and 13 volumes and I have a picture taked from the official Steam Detectives Website and this picture isnt from the other 8 mangas, It have to be more!, but I still cant find those volumes, I need it, cant find on internet on shops, I really dont know how to get them, I am looking for the lastest volumes from Steam Detectives (no matter language) and Im looking for all soundtracks too, I only have the white and file 1 ost Wink
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Looking about online, it looks like 8 volumes was the original series run from Shueisha, and vol.9 onward were published in Dengenki EX, which is a Media Works publication.

As such, it's similar to Hayate X Blade, where the title switched publishers in Japan, so although the numbering didn't restart, it is technically a new series as licensing goes, and VIZ would of had to negociate for those volumes with Media Works [who've worked with different pubs in the US like Vertical and Seven Seas, and past ones like CMX and Go Comi]. VIZ mostly publishes material from their parent companies with a handful of exceptions, so I imagine that combined with SD's being and older title and not a giant hit played a part in them not opting to pursue the Media Works volumes.

[they don't have the rights for Silent Mobius anymore either btw- Asamiya's new edition was being issued by Udon, who put out 3 vols before it went on hiatus]
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't finished my collection of the eight Viz releases yet, despite the fact that Steam Detectives is one of my favorite series. I've always found that the seventh and eighth volumes were very pricey, so I've had to hold off on purchasing them.
AvrilTronLuKon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well in my country I only can find it on internet, want to have it really, but I need to know what happen then, after vol 8 Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2