• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sanrio Popularity Poll Prelimary Results Feature Four Show By Rock!! Bands

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
No Jewelpet. Disappointing.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Hello Kitty is becoming a distant memory...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Thank god, there's better characters in Sanrio's repertoire. If a Jewelpet had to be in the ranking it would be Ruby or Larimar.

Also, no Criticrista, I smell a small wiff of bad taste going on.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Weird
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Plasmagica are ahead of Gudetama now. A couple days ago Sanrio released a video on YouTube that was about how Gudetama was ahead of Plasmagica.

I love SB69, but I've been voting Gudetama myself. You can vote for as many as you want, but I want Gudetama to win. I'm not sure if who wins really impacts anything though, maybe it impacts the amount of merchandise they'll make of a character? And if that's the case, Hello Kitty sure as hell doesn't need to win, they make tons of merchandise of her. I love HK, and all of Sanrio's characters really, but she's everywhere already. Other characters deserve attention too.

Since Gudetama is a newer character, there's a good amount of merch, in Japan at least. Sanrio's started selling Gudetama merch on their English site, but I don't think there's anything being sold in stores of him in America. If this does impact merch being made, hopefully Gudetama is getting a large amount of votes from the US, so we can get merch of him over here.

I kind of feel sorry for people whose favorite Sanrio character isn't even in the poll though. I think they should just have all characters in the poll instead of limiting it to 100.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I want to believe that (in a way) people are "tired" of Hello Kitty [as a character] since her merchandise is all over the place, compared to their other character whom you rarely see merchandise of. Not that they hate her, but its like a "Oooh! Who are these characters?" / "Hello Kitty is old/everywhere, meh" thing.

I remember when I was a kid, my Sanrio store would sell and equal amount of Hello Kitty, Badtz Maru, Keroppi, Pocchaco, Spottie Dottie, and Pekkle merchandise. Then they started retiring those characters (save for Badtz Maru) and less and less merch of them would show up.
Now? My nearest Sanrio store sells 85% Hello Kitty (with a dash of MyMelody and Little Twin Stars), and 15% the other characters (small plushies included). I too wish they would bring more of the other characters to the States, especially Jewelpet. Heck, I miss the days when you'd easily find Kuromi merch.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
^
If that's the case, then it seems that Sanrio must think there's still a huge market for Hello Kitty goods out there.

I hope that Sanrio will at least consider making more goods of their other characters besides Hello Kitty available sometime in the future. Seeing just Hello Kitty everywhere can get boring.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I want to believe that (in a way) people are "tired" of Hello Kitty [as a character] since her merchandise is all over the place, compared to their other character whom you rarely see merchandise of. Not that they hate her, but its like a "Oooh! Who are these characters?" / "Hello Kitty is old/everywhere, meh" thing.

I remember when I was a kid, my Sanrio store would sell and equal amount of Hello Kitty, Badtz Maru, Keroppi, Pocchaco, Spottie Dottie, and Pekkle merchandise. Then they started retiring those characters (save for Badtz Maru) and less and less merch of them would show up.
Now? My nearest Sanrio store sells 85% Hello Kitty (with a dash of MyMelody and Little Twin Stars), and 15% the other characters (small plushies included). I too wish they would bring more of the other characters to the States, especially Jewelpet. Heck, I miss the days when you'd easily find Kuromi merch.

Kuromi was made only ten years ago in 2005, hence why there was a lot of merchandise of her back then. They generally make a lot of merchandise of a character in their first few years, like what they're doing now with Gudetama (in Japan, at least).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1