• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Support of Sorts

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
That cat looked so miserable. Why would someone do that?

Getting back to anime, If I ever had the disposable income, I would want to release Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I know I wouldn't make any money, but the show is that good and it needs a legitimate release.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The answer to this question is so easy.

The entirety of the Shadow Star Narutaru manga. Uncensored. Mwahahaha! Ahahaha!

Alternatively, I'd go with Mahoraba. It was the first show I watched fansubbed starting with the first episode and waiting weekly for every single episode to come out. It was right in the middle of the "boom" so I patiently waited for licensing announcements at every single anime con, expecting ADV or Geneon to pick it up.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
People are probably too busy w/ AX to respond to questions.

That aside, if something is wrong with a product, FUNi usually manages to fix it. Enough complaints and they'll get the idea. Or get them via Facebook.
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
The answer to this question is so easy.

The entirety of the Shadow Star Narutaru manga. Uncensored. Mwahahaha! Ahahaha!
^THIS! I'd die happy if this came to pass.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Obviously that was the ONLY west-coast reader of ANN.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
I for one love the idea of forming a start-up manga publishing company!

Losing money...not so much in love with that. Sorry.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
That cat looked so miserable. Why would someone do that?

Most likely it's physical therapy for being so fat, it sucks that the kitty has to do it in water but the water makes it easier on his joints than just walking.

In regards to blooper reels, love those things or things like the omake theaters so much more than the usual extras.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Alternatively, I'd go with Mahoraba. It was the first show I watched fansubbed starting with the first episode and waiting weekly for every single episode to come out. It was right in the middle of the "boom" so I patiently waited for licensing announcements at every single anime con, expecting ADV or Geneon to pick it up.

Oooh yes! I watched this fansubbed back in my early days of viewing and it was so sweet! Then I promptly forgot about it until someone wrote to Answerman demanding how he was to read Mahoraba without scanlations. This made me curious and I went to look up the volumes on BK2. And that totally rekindled my interest. It's one of the first series I will buy once I get decent enough in Japanese to try making my way through tankobons.

Other than that, I would like to bring over Giant Killing. I don't think any American publisher wants to take a try with this because soccer may not be popular in the US (I'm an Aussie, so I can't speak for what's popular in America, but over here it's not very big at all). I'm totally not a soccer fan (go AFL!!!!) but I LOVE Giant Killing!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
In response to the flake, I should point out that for those in America Funimation has uploaded the first 6 episodes of Fairy Tail so they can watch is legally for free at Funimation's website.
fub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it can be considered 'piracy' if you own (and paid for) the original. Is ripping something you own (so that you can view it on some other hardware, for instance a portable video player) forbidden in the US? Here it's considered fair use.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
I'm a pretty vehement opponent of anime piracy, but I wouldn't blame the first questioner at all for just downloading a fansub of the episode in question. He's already paid for it, so where's the harm?
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Oooh yes! I watched this fansubbed back in my early days of viewing and it was so sweet! Then I promptly forgot about it until someone wrote to Answerman demanding how he was to read Mahoraba without scanlations. This made me curious and I went to look up the volumes on BK2. And that totally rekindled my interest. It's one of the first series I will buy once I get decent enough in Japanese to try making my way through tankobons.

Spread the Mahoraba love! Mahoraba aired in the first anime season I followed weekly (Winter 2005), so it has a pretty special place in my heart, even though I haven't rewatched it because the manga has an even more special place in my heart.

Why wait, when you could be reading the manga right now. Back when I started learning Japanese, the day after I received the hiragana chart, I started to translate the Tachibana chapter of Mahoraba Ao fanbook. I used the vocabulary I had learned from anime, a really lousy dictionary and the free time and passion for stupid things only a NEET could have. It took around 10 hours (about one hour per day for two weeks) of not-so-hard work, but I emerged victorious (except for two words).
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
I don't understand how, in the age of the internet, with all this free information, people can still send in questions like this week's flake. Not only did they contact the wrong person, they asked to do something illegal because its more difficult to do it illegal on another website.

This world is crazy.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
Regarding the final question (and next week's question, to which I do not have time to write a sufficiently long answer), I was actually having this exact discussion last night, because I am beyond annoyed that our Full Metal Panic! novel collection may be permanently stuck at five volumes (well, four, but the fourth combines books 4 and 5). My Japanese is good enough for a passable translation for myself and my husband, but I don't even have enough free time to read the Japanese-language Card Captor Sakura manga I've had sitting around for years, so how I will find time to translate seven novels is beyond me. /rant

Anyway, the short answer: I would license the Full Metal Panic! light novels, assuming the Tokyopop holding company (there is one, right?) does not still have the rights. Alternatively (since I apparently have enough money to license the book series, why I can't I have an infinite amount of capital?) I would finance another anime season.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
fub wrote:
I wonder if it can be considered 'piracy' if you own (and paid for) the original. Is ripping something you own (so that you can view it on some other hardware, for instance a portable video player) forbidden in the US? Here it's considered fair use.

If you are ripping something for your own personal use, that's fine, AFAIK (barring issues such as the DMCA making the ripping software itself illegal if the rip involves breaking DRM). If you rip something to distribute it, whether you distribute it over the Internet or on, say, bootleg DVDs, that's flat-out illegal, generally speaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3