• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Sky Wizards Academy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Why is the spotlight sometimes on the worst show(s) of the season?
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
kazume wrote:

looks like they are trying to be as fair as possible to all shows whether they are considered to be good or bad. Seems like they are a bit behind this season though and im hoping that they at least add Charlotte to the list.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
kazume wrote:

I think one reason is that they know there are fans out there for said shows and they want to give it fair attention. However, I will agree in it being a horrid show. That's actually often the point of harems because they might emphasize the shippings and fan service as the saving point.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
kazume wrote:

I think one reason is that they know there are fans out there for said shows and they want to give it fair attention. However, I will agree in it being a horrid show. That's actually often the point of harems because they might emphasize the shippings and fan service as the saving point.

Thing is, when there are other shows that came before that one who also had the whole "accidental pervert+infatuated easily+nice shippings", and did that better, it's barely a saving point.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying the show so far. Like how the character faults were presented in episode two: Misora the hotblooded team leader who should become more coolheaded, Lecty the timid Magic Dual Blade wielder who would benefit from being more confident, and Rico the narcissist Magic Gun sniper who ought to be more humble. This might be a fan-service show but one of its redeeming points is how the male protagonist's masculinity isn't toned down and he also isn't made to be unreasonably understanding. Like how some of the team's shortcomings were addressed in the third episode.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:

The spotlights are just promotional material sent to ANN (I think sent directly to Justin) from the studios. They don't choose which to do a spotlight on, they just do spotlights of all of the shows they get the promotional material from. Maybe with some formatting and translation to be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:

i guess it's for advertisement purpose

ANN is pretty much ad advertisement site..

i'm new here.. not sure when is the last time they updated their forums..

since this forum format looks like the forums i used back in 2003-2005..
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
The last words of Misora's profile seems to indicate that she be rivals against Kanata and Rico...maybe there will be a heated battle between her and one of her "adversaries?"
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

i guess it's for advertisement purpose

since this forum format looks like the forums i used back in 2003-2005..

I can answer some of that for you. Yes it's the last version of phpBB, not the newest. There are several reasons why. One main one is many security features in place were not available in the newest version. Another being retooling the forums would take time and money. Two things they have limited supply of. The focus right now is on updating the encyclopedia as far as I know (which is in the works currently). After that they would like to update the forums but the encyclopedia comes first.

As for the advertisements, it's part of how they make money. And since you need money to update things like the forums, encyclopedia, and also for other purposes such as overhead costs,paying your staff, etc they kind of need to have the money to do that. Just like any other business.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
*gasps*

You need money to run a business? Since when? And why was I not informed earlier of this development?

On a more serious note, I actually like the way the forums look and feel. Modern comment systems like YouTube's are annoying to navigate, I prefer the orderly old school systems like what ANN uses.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

spoiler[i guess it's for advertisement purpose

since this forum format looks like the forums i used back in 2003-2005..]

I can answer some of that for you. Yes it's the last version of phpBB, not the newest. There are several reasons why. One main one is many security features in place were not available in the newest version. Another being retooling the forums would take time and money. Two things they have limited supply of. The focus right now is on updating the encyclopedia as far as I know (which is in the works currently). After that they would like to update the forums but the encyclopedia comes first.

As for the advertisements, it's part of how they make money. And since you need money to update things like the forums, encyclopedia, and also for other purposes such as overhead costs,paying your staff, etc they kind of need to have the money to do that. Just like any other business.

@Psycho 101

Thank you for taking the time and explaining it to me Smile i would give you thumb up or kudo if i can.. but there's no such feature in this forums.

a basic format where it's easy to link picture or video, track your posts, etc. more user friendly..

spoiler.. the worst one yet.. since instead of shorten the whole post and hide it in the spoiler tag.. it will just dark out the whole thing without shorten it.. Rolling Eyes making spoiler tag pretty useless

spoiler tag should be like this (hide+ shorten the whole post/picture/video) -- just click on it to see the whole hidden post

this will cut down on scrolling time for other users as well

i created a website using joomla before...

so i understand about running a site and the costs associate with it

i just hope they will update the forum and make it more user friendly

since the main point of a site is to draw in more customers/consumers/visitors but with tools/services that difficult for them to use.... you might not get new users to return beside those who had been here for some time..

as a business .. i'm sure you want your business to expand .... but if you are sticking with outdated tech... you are at a standstill while the competitors are moving forward..

--------------also
i think the comment above is directly at me as well ?

well that's why we use AdBlock Plus and No Script..

for any anti- adblock by website admins.. we got anti-anti Adblock

userscripts and greasemonkey will take care of them

there's no reason for users to be bombarded with ads they don't want while visiting a site (i'm talking about ads in general not on ANN)

I don't have them enabled on ANN.. unless needed
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
Lets see? Well endowed 14-year-old school girls. That's drawer 14. Yep we got them. How many? 3? Yep no problem, and there's plenty in stock case you need more.
Sorted. Laughing
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

It would make sense if they come up with an advertisement model that uses the encyclopedia. I mean who would've thought that MAL could be so profitable that it would be purchased by DeNA.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The last words of Misora's profile seems to indicate that she be rivals against Kanata and Rico...maybe there will be a heated battle between her and one of her "adversaries?"

Coincidentally, at the end of episode three there was a nontrivial misunderstanding between Kanata and Misora that will be explained in the next episode.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
kazume wrote:

looks like they are trying to be as fair as possible to all shows whether they are considered to be good or bad. Seems like they are a bit behind this season though and im hoping that they at least add Charlotte to the list.

and i wouldnt say that its bad. the only magical series i can really see as bad was magical warfare. that series especially its ending was as bad as you can get.

while its true that this series have a tendency of giving the impression of "one guy + multiple girls in his care = automatic harem" scenario , i wouldnt necessarily would declare it one. hopefully when its released it definitely proves people wrong and to be frank , i kinda hope its similar to like Kyōkai Senjō no Horizon but without the male lead as a complete dumbass and an uber perv.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Some examples of more likable harem dude is Kaoru from Ai Yori Aoshi and Yuuichi from Kanon. Coincidentally, both the English and Japanese Kaoru also share the roles of Code Geass' Gino and Kei from Please Teacher/Twins.*

*Michelle Ruff/Ayako Kawasumi share these roles as well as sharing the same Rave Master, Kannazuki no Miko, Ai Aori Aoshi, Scrapped Princess, Unlimited Blade Works, and Girls Bravo roles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2