• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love Me Like You Do

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Both My Little monster and Noragami are already sitting on my shelves xD Had them pre-ordered way back. The packaging for both of them is lovely. I especially liked the MLM guidebook. Noragami's story is AMAZING (give or take the last few episodes where they weren't certain about season 2 and had to wrap it up somehow) and My Little Monster is a good little romance that doesn't fall too far off the shojo tree, but has enough twists that it feels pretty fresh. Definitely recommend both of them Smile
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story and characters are also a bit old-fashioned in that they aren't all built to prioritize marketing and merchandising. The girls don't all chase mindlessly after Kei, and some of the minor characters actually pair off into couples over the course of the series. With the exception of a few racy spacesuits, everyone even wears the sort of clothes you'd expect a normal human being to own. There's a concerted effort to build a cast of unique and flawed individuals, even if that means most of them couldn't sell a figure or a keychain to save their lives. I'll take that over a paint-by-numbers harem comedy any day.

Isn't is a shame that this feels like the exception these days, instead of the norm. It might be why I got a little tired of anime around 2012 and haven't watched anything new since then. It's hard to look at modern character designs these days and not cynically roll your eyes at how marketable they look.[/quote]
crazyhand64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The link you gave for the future diary on crunchyroll leads to hulu, you probably want to fix that

edit: fixed

Last edited by crazyhand64 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I think this may be the first time that I've owned every reviewed series in a shelf life column. I made sure to pre-order Noragami and My Little Monster before they were released. Even started collecting the manga for My Little Monster and Noragami as I was a big fan of both series. Please Teacher was more of a nostalgic add-on to an order I was already making anyway. It's definitely not as good as I remember it, which is to be expected as it was one of the earliest anime series I watched that wasn't aired on TV, but it's still fairly entertaining.

My Little Monster also solidified my love for NIS America's new packaging. I really didn't like the massive packaging they used for earlier releases and the only one I bought was Love Live. But my Toradora Blu-ray set and My Little Monster set look great on my shelf. The packaged is nice and sturdy and colorful and the book with it has a lot of good info. I just wish they'd pick up more series I want.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
My Little Monster also solidified my love for NIS America's new packaging. I really didn't like the massive packaging they used for earlier releases and the only one I bought was Love Live. But my Toradora Blu-ray set and My Little Monster set look great on my shelf. The packaged is nice and sturdy and colorful and the book with it has a lot of good info. I just wish they'd pick up more series I want.

The Love Live box was pretty obnoxious (Though lovely and all the bonuses were great). It's too big for me to have it stand up on my shelf, so it juts out awkwardly...but MLM is a prefect size. Definitely have to get Toradora at some point.
NormanS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Did the Please Teacher DVD include in the extra music videos like "Snow Angel", "Love a Riddle" by I've Sound singer Kotoko? I remember those music videos being a thing. In fact i like please teacher for its opening and ending themes as well as some of the insert music since I've sound is one of my favorite japanese music groups.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Any shelves that include Monster and 20th Century Boys are shelves that deserve high praise.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
crazyhand64 wrote:
The link you gave for the future diary on crunchyroll leads to hulu, you probably want to fix that

Whoops, thanks!
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Future Diary, My Little Monster & Noragami are all sitting on my shelf. Absolutely love them Smile
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yukine the MVP!? Wow we have different taste, Yukine killed the show for me. I really liked the first half but then we got like 3-4 episode entirely dedicated to Yukine being an obnoxious teenager and that was it, I was done with the show, some of the least interesting episode I've ever watched. spoiler[When he was about to turn into a monster I was just hoping he would actually do and then Yato would just kill him, all Madoka style. It's even made weirder that he would tolerate Yukine's crap and actual crime while being all offended by the other girl Regalia whose crime was to work with multiple God, I guess God really aren't into worker's flexibility and part time work.]

I rather liked Hayate first season, I think the show went on a bit too long with all the other season but the first one was really good.

Future diary has one big lesson to teach the anime/manga world, don't make your main character power too strong, cause then the only way to balance it is by making him ridiculously stupid.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Paul wrote:
Quote:
even if that means most of them couldn't sell a figure or a keychain to save their lives.

Sorry, but the show sold a lot of figures. I've a couple of them myself and a lot more were offered through Previews. Mostly Mizuho in various stages of undress. Also at least one set of mystery box figures of the female classmates at a swimming party.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I did not like My Little Monster very much at all. The first three episodes moved very quickly, with a huge amount of development, and that is what initially appealed to me. But then things returned to what seems to be the shoujo anime status quo of "no major developments and everything moves at a snail's pace" and I was very disappointed. I kept watching because I wanted to see some of that initial quality that made me watch this show to begin with, but it never came back. Also, I found Haru to be incredibly creepy and annoying, with his clingy, overly attached behavior. I liked Shizuku, and there were legitimately good moments and some good comedy, but it wasn't enough to save the show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
But then things returned to what seems to be the shoujo anime status quo of "no major developments and everything moves at a snail's pace" and I was very disappointed.

Actually, My Little Monster didn't just slow down but actually had the characters regressing. So frustrating, especially since the first six episodes are amazingly good.

Gabriella wrote:
Characterization-wise, however, the show's MVP is Yukine...

What? His arc was easily the worst part of the show - well, that and the asinine way Yato handled him - and I almost dropped Noragami because of it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
My Little Monster, Future Diary, and Noragami are all things I need on my shelf...
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
The last few episode of Noragami definitely felt like it was an anime-only affair considering the throw-away antagonist and lack of progression for the characters.
I think the OVAs were manga bonuses (as so many are), and those are often less likely to be licensed. Perhaps Funi will be able to get them for the second season?
Even if we did get the first though, even without having read the manga, it definitely seemed like it takes place after the next arc considering the name I've read of it. Kinda wish I didn't watch it after finishing my copy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2