• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Ravens BD+DVD part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A few points could also stand further clarification and the ending, despite resolving one major late plot twist, feels unsatisfying.

The unclarified plot points, such as the ultimate goal of the villians, are an ongoing mystery in the source LNs. There's still no clear answers yet.

The 1st 9 volumes, which the anime covered, is only introductory material making up Part 1 of the story. Currently there are 13 volumes out, spoiler[and Natsume is now the main character. Harutora's now the enigmatic mystery which the reader and Natsume must now unravel.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, it gets too complicated for its own good at times, as a score card is needed to keep track of all of the important players in the voluminous cast and where their affiliations lie.

I've seen others make this same complaint, but I didn't get confused. Not sure why though, I'm bad keeping up with names and I had trouble with 2 other shows that I at least found to be confusing: Mahouka and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

In this second half the quick pacing and relatively large number of interesting plot twists resonated with me very well. It's a shame that this show probably won't be getting a second season.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
This might as well be unclassified plot points the show.

Just introduction after introduction, revel and revel but almost nothing is ever resolved or explained.

It's got so annoying I didn't want to watch anymore because it was too much of a mental workout to keep track of everything, who's good, who's bad, who likes who, how this person did this thing...i felt like a needed a chart to explain the points of the show to me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Quote:
In fact, it gets too complicated for its own good at times, as a score card is needed to keep track of all of the important players in the voluminous cast and where their affiliations lie.

I've seen others make this same complaint, but I didn't get confused. Not sure why though, I'm bad keeping up with names and I had trouble with 2 other shows that I at least found to be confusing: Mahouka and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

In this second half the quick pacing and relatively large number of interesting plot twists resonated with me very well. It's a shame that this show probably won't be getting a second season.

which is exactly what i suspected. the whole 24 ep is nothing more than a series promotion where to continue with the story,you will have to read the original source materials. similar to what happened to keikashi and other series.

Quote:
-Some rough scene transitions, sometimes too complicated for its own good.

you can't be surprised about that. considering that the whole 24 ep series only over 8-9 volumes of the light novels,of course it would be very very complicated for its own good and unless there is a second season which is now highly unlikely,it'll stay that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Just a correction, I believe the new closer is Mami Kawada's "Break a Spell" (Kimi ga eru yuugure is the first ending).

The second half of the series got pretty confusing with all the constantly switching allegiances. Tokyo Ravens is a fun show though, and the fights were pretty awesome. I also really liked the music (except for the new opening, which is a shame because the first opening was so awesome).
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
honestly i found the strat of it rather slow and bland but when the stakes rose and shit starts hitting the fan with all these admittedly confusing allegiances and secret agendas it gets much more interesting. I'm a bit mixed on whether to see the ending as good or bad. the fact that theres at the moment of typing no confirmed second season works against it because its a hell of a cliffhanger but if theres a second season it'd be interesting to see how the spoiler[narrative shifts to natsume with harutora doing his own thing. Also with Harutora now an independent force what with his reawakened memories it could either be awesome(like kaneki a drastic change in personality) or terribly boring(broken no challenge like Tatsuya). I guess i'd want to see is that his new memories change him on an emotional not just a power level]
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid it already is. spoiler[ considering that he's calling Kon Hishimaru now clearly dictates that the memories of his past life is emotionally changing him ] which would of course mean he'll no longer be the "stupid tora" his friends know and love.

also i'm more surprised that people arent peeving on the pseudo harem aspect after ep 18 considering that all of the girls in the group including natsume and Kon have romantic feelings for that idiot. the last thing anyone really wants is for that absentminded fool to turn into another Touma Kamajo who is also involved in his own pseudo harem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I'm afraid it already is. spoiler[ considering that he's calling Kon Hishimaru now clearly dictates that the memories of his past life is emotionally changing him ] which would of course mean he'll no longer be the "stupid tora" his friends know and love.

I see what you mean but I don't think it's enough to measure how much he's changed, at least not till there's another season (if ever)

also i'm more surprised that people arent peeving on the pseudo harem aspect after ep 18 considering that all of the girls in the group including natsume and Kon have romantic feelings for that idiot. the last thing anyone really wants is for that absentminded fool to turn into another Touma Kamajo who is also involved in his own pseudo harem.

Lmao I totally forgot about that harem part, well it all depends on how the characters involved act. If they just mindlessly fall for him then it's rather stupid but if they grow as characters during the process I don't mind. as for Touma ymmv on him is see, personally I love the character even though I'm well aware of his clichés it's just... something about a character who's only ability is to punch your lights out unobstructed by magic or Esper abilities that's entertaining to watch. Just imagine him winding up and yelling 'Touma Punch' Wink
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
which is exactly what i suspected. the whole 24 ep is nothing more than a series promotion where to continue with the story,you will have to read the original source materials. similar to what happened to keikashi and other series.

That isn't really fair. It covered the novels available when the anime starts and ends with what the author calls part 1 of the series. It is handled very differently from your standard LN promotional anime.

Calsolum wrote:
the fact that theres at the moment of typing no confirmed second season works against it because its a hell of a cliffhanger but if theres a second season it'd be interesting to see how the spoiler[narrative shifts to natsume with harutora doing his own thing. Also with Harutora now an independent force what with his reawakened memories it could either be awesome(like kaneki a drastic change in personality) or terribly boring(broken no challenge like Tatsuya). I guess i'd want to see is that his new memories change him on an emotional not just a power level]

There is no way they could confirm a second season for several years considering that there are a whole 3 volumes of the second half published.

As for Harutora, you can tell at the end that he spoiler[has changed emotionally. Not entirely into another person because he didn't lose what made him Harutora, but he is different. Also, his power level isn't all that amazing. His major trait is his knowledge.]

jr0904 wrote:

That seems more like a gripe you'd have if you watched it air once a week. The second half as a whole shows there is spoiler[no harem. He accepts and reciprocates Natsume's feelings; the others are just friends.] Incidentally that makes it not like Kamijou Touma at all. Touma's shtick is being completely oblivious.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

That isn't really fair. It covered the novels available when the anime starts and ends with what the author calls part 1 of the series. It is handled very differently from your standard LN promotional anime.

That probably explains why I felt like that was a decent place for the anime to end. I don't mind it much if a show stops when there is obviously more to be done as long as it at least wraps up what amounts to a complete story arc. I'd prefer to get the whole story in anime form, but I've learned how to be at least somewhat satisfied with semi-complete endings.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Calsolum wrote:
the fact that theres at the moment of typing no confirmed second season works against it because its a hell of a cliffhanger but if theres a second season it'd be interesting to see how the spoiler[narrative shifts to natsume with harutora doing his own thing. Also with Harutora now an independent force what with his reawakened memories it could either be awesome(like kaneki a drastic change in personality) or terribly boring(broken no challenge like Tatsuya). I guess i'd want to see is that his new memories change him on an emotional not just a power level]

There is no way they could confirm a second season for several years considering that there are a whole 3 volumes of the second half published.

As for Harutora, you can tell at the end that he spoiler[has changed emotionally. Not entirely into another person because he didn't lose what made him Harutora, but he is different. Also, his power level isn't all that amazing. His major trait is his knowledge.]

jr0904 wrote:

That seems more like a gripe you'd have if you watched it air once a week. The second half as a whole shows there is spoiler[no harem. He accepts and reciprocates Natsume's feelings; the others are just friends.] Incidentally that makes it not like Kamijou Touma at all. Touma's shtick is being completely oblivious.

i didn't say it was a harem. it's more like a "psuedo harem" where all of the girls have a romantic interest in him but he's currently taken. similar to kirito and his list of girls from sword art online.

and while there were no signs of any harem aspects in the first half, that definitely changed when the kurahashi girl joined in the mix.

regardless, it all a mute point now if there is a second season since in the manga/LN he's no longer the main character.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
He is still the main character, the story is just not told from his perspective all the time anymore. Since his endgame is unknown a distance from the character is necessary for the intrigue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1