• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika in US Theaters in March

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raz_G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say that this pretty much kills the film's chances of getting an Academy-Award nomination, if it had any to begin with. If you're releasing an animated film in March, and it doesn't make a huge impression in the box-office (like "Ice Age") nobody is going to remember it by the time the 2008 nominations will be voted.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
That would probably be true if an anime film not directed by Hayao Miyazaki had a serious chance at getting nominated to begin with, especially when it'll be released the same year as a Shrek sequel and Pixar/Brad Bird's Ratatouille and the Simpsons movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how much I trust any news about Paprika.

But I do have higher hopes for this than Miyazakis film.

^Higher hopes as in personal enjoyment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know how much I trust any news about Paprika.

Exactly who knows how strong this statement is.......it wasn't too long ago i was planning on seeing the film in October so I am not sure what is going on with this title.

But still I can't wait to see this title.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really one for straight-up fantasy without any kind of sci-fi elements mixed in, so, even having nothing to go on besides the trailers, Paprika would have to be an I Heart Huckabees-scale disappointment for me not to at least like it better than Earthsea.

And I've seen Kon in person, so I am biased in his favour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi:
I so wish I said what you said.

(especially the meeting part)

Deltakiral:

Its dargon, not dragon. No biggie though. I also don't mind people if they leave off the xtc(doesn't mean you have too though, it is my screenname after all), it really only has meaning to me.

I share your wanting of this(movie) though. The more and more I find out what this is, the more and more I want to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
What kind of theatartical release is this going to be, anyway? Will it be a wide release or a limited release? Although I can sort of already guess it'll be the latter....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that it'll be very similar to how Sony released Steamboy (also a March release): 50 to 60 theatres initially, but some of the prints will tour after.
Danno19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I never get the anime's in my area... I have to drive to Mass all the time to see them and I suck at the driving. =*( So I guess its DVD for me!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi:
Quote:
That would probably be true if an anime film not directed by Hayao Miyazaki had a serious chance at getting nominated to begin with, especially when it'll be released the same year as a Shrek sequel and Pixar/Brad Bird's Ratatouille and the Simpsons movie.

I'm wondering if Earthsea's also coming out that year.

Quote:
And I've seen Kon in person, so I am biased in his favour.

I did too-twice-and I still hated Tokyo Godfathers. Crying or Very sad I almost was willing to call it quits on Paranoia Agent, too, but there are some decent episodes in there, if I stick it out long enough. I'll have to get the dvds, eventually, though, since AS's site occasionally has streaming problems.

Quote:
I'm guessing that it'll be very similar to how Sony released Steamboy (also a March release): 50 to 60 theatres initially, but some of the prints will tour after.

Unlike Steamboy, I don't think Paprika will be fortunate enough to get a PG 13.

Dargon:
Quote:
I so wish I said what you said.

You never know. He might be at your local con or film festival again next year.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping it gets a Canadian Relese Smile

GATSU wrote:
Unlike Steamboy, I don't think Paprika will be fortunate enough to get a PG 13.

Please elaborate. Do you mean you think it'll get an R or a PG or what? Ghost In The Shell 2 only got a PG-13 so if you think it'll get an R, I rather doubt it.

Today's random fact: Up here (Canada) depending on the province Steamboy recieved either a G or a PG; nothing higher.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
March.....so.....far.....away.....have.....to.....put.....on.....calender. Hopefully I'll survive.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Someone: GITS 2 wasn't a horror/thriller.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, it doesn't matter to me. Here in Canada getting an R is hard (I've only seen three anime that were rated R here; Blood, Perfect Blue and Samurai X.) I mean GitS 1 only got a 14A (Canadian equivilent of PG-13) and Ninja Scroll only got an 18A...hell, Saw only got an 18A (Though I can't Imagine why it would need an R)

In any case, my point is unless it's incredibly violent and/or has full blown sex in it I doubt it'll get an R here, so as long as it gets a theatrical run here I'm happy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Sony finally took down the old dvd date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2